Brilliant (?) idea for narrow, lightweight FF harness seat

lgenne

Why doesn't this exist?

I'm envisioning something that's essentially the size of an armless, backless booster with some straps. The base would have an open belt path (like the CCO RF belt path, although the opening might have to be on the underside for comfort, since the kid would sit on it). It could use LATCH or lap only belt, or the lap belt of a l/s belt could go through the open belt path. It would require a top tether, and there would be nothing but straps behind the kid's back, plus obviously harness in front of the chest. Harness points would attach to the base for hips and crotch.

Would this not be awesome for travel and tight 3 across scenarios? Harness height would be limited by the height of the seat back.

ADS

lgenne

Yeah, I was definitely inspired by the Go, but the Go doesn't fit in the overhead bin of an airplane (right?), and gets shorter if you have to install it with the seat belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It does fit in an overhead bin actually. Or even under most seats. And it is limited more by anchorage location than belt vs LA... Just that LA is way way easier (ALR lap belt isn't bad.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Loved the old Fisher Price Futura 20/60, these are the best pictures to show the low profile... http://cpsafety.azurewebsites.net/articles/FFAlbum/Hayley.aspx and it was installed with the reverse belt path, it worked pretty much in any seatbelt situation. Then the Radian was just like it, but heavier and way harder to install with a seatbelt, but now it's so heavy and whatnot, fuggetaboutit.
Too many terrifying crash tests on youtube with heads flying out of those low profile seats in side impacts, I guess we all think we need the giant headwings, even though airbags probably protect much better.
I agree, though, we need something a little better than the Go and Maestro in that category, I loved loved loved my Futura.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC