It's this allowed?

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmmm...they look quite thin, but my guess would be that they are not "allowed." It's this weird grey area where, if you posted a picture of her wearing a flannel shirt of that same thickness with the collar up, I think it would be totally fine. If you sewed the ends of those cloth wipes together to make homemade strap covers, I'm fairly certain it would be forbidden. So . . . I guess if it were me I would be looking at thrift stores for some cheap collared shirts that she can wear in the car seat. I don't know that it would be actually different from what you've done here, from a safety standpoint, but you would be following the rules and setting a good example for other parents who might not be quite so careful with the thickness of the material.

I am not a tech, though. I wonder what your CPST instructor would suggest if you sent this picture to her/him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lourdes

I am a tick but I don't know.... It's super thin, the main problem is that we lived in the tropics so we don't ware polo shirts to often, to me it's like if she had a shirt and I just pulled the shirt up but still that's to me, there are more experience techs here, I was also thinking of buying a polo shirt and cutting the half of the shirt and using it just in the seat but still don't know if that's ok

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I guess my major concern with it in this situation is that we've explicitly been told this seat doesn't pass testing with covers.

I'd just tug up whatever she's wearing to protect her neck, I guess. Maybe phone Dorel and see if they have any suggestions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If dorel told you only clothing on the child I'd probably stick with that rather than adding an extra layer of loose cloth in case it affects the forces in play.

Baylor

While it may not be allowed, I don't see how anything that thin would effect anything. It is the difference of wearing a tshirt and a sweatshirt which is okay.. so for me while I would never tell other people to do things that are not allowed, I have to be rational about such things. If my child is miserable or being cut by the straps, I am going to cover them. I have used socks before.. Thin with the toes cut off not anywhere near what a strap cover thickness is.

Just my nickel and a half.

cookie123

Could you get her a few collared shirts that she could wear in the car seat? Rather than a polo shirt how about a button up thin cotton. You could just slip it on her and not bother with the buttons.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
While it may not be allowed, I don't see how anything that thin would effect anything. It is the difference of wearing a tshirt and a sweatshirt which is okay.. so for me while I would never tell other people to do things that are not allowed, I have to be rational about such things. If my child is miserable or being cut by the straps, I am going to cover them. I have used socks before.. Thin with the toes cut off not anywhere near what a strap cover thickness is.

Just my nickel and a half.
Adding socks, non approved covers, or other pieces of fabric not attached to the child's body between child and harness can increase rotational force at the shoulders. In this case Dorel initially sent out strap covers then crash tested it and stopped doing so. That says a lot to me about it affecting performance, whether you or I can imagine how it does or not.

gigi

I would buy a seat with strap covers if it is possible financially. Otherwise I would dress the baby in different clothing (polos or a cotton button up you can slip on and off as necessary).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Adding socks, non approved covers, or other pieces of fabric not attached to the child's body between child and harness can increase rotational force at the shoulders. In this case Dorel initially sent out strap covers then crash tested it and stopped doing so. That says a lot to me about it affecting performance, whether you or I can imagine how it does or not.

:yeahthat: This isn't the same as clothing that is on the child. I would only be okay with this if there was a model of the same seat that had strap covers. Seeing as this one doesn't past crash testing with them, there is no way I'd add anything that mimicked them.

AllieK

Yeah, I've totally considered the car seat dickey but in So Cal when it's 105 degrees there's no way I'm wrestling that on an angry toddler that doesn't want to get in the car seat in the first place!

No harness pads is a total deal breaker for me. If the SureRide didn't allow Maestro pads I wouldn't own 2 of them. I didn't buy the Contender for this reason either, I could never get a straight answer from Graco about whether or not they'd allow the Clone pads. The NEXT had never even been on my radar, mostly because my kids are tall but again, no harness pads!

I guess there's kids out there that don't care...? But mine are topless or in tanks 3/4 of the year so it's always an issue. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Theoretically speaking, what about a bib? One of those wide, squarish ones.

Someone needs to trademark "car seat dickie."

Do we actually know that the seat doesn't pass with strap covers? I've heard that as speculation, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a statement about it.

Frankly, if a seat's safety can be compromised so much by the addition of a thin piece of fabric, I probably wouldn't be comfortable using it with my kid at all.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Dorel reps told that to at least a few people. Techs who asked about the change.

Fabric not attached to the child is actually a really easy way to make a lot of seats fail. See: some Graco seats requiring removal over 40 lbs. Etc. Like I said, all about rotational force.

I wouldn't be shocked if it actually did ok rf but not ff. But I can see them making a blanket disapproval in that case...

tjham

Wow, $8.99 for the dickie. If I were to go that way, I would buy a button up shirt at Goodwill to cut to size instead.

1mommy

I guess there's kids out there that don't care...? But mine are topless or in tanks 3/4 of the year so it's always an issue. :( Posted via Mobile Device

My 3.5 year old hates all strap covers and rips them off at first opportunity or complains loudly if he can't. I've noticed sometimes his neck looks a little red after being in his maestro in just a short sleeved shirt but he doesn't seem to care, *shrugs* he's weird, he also HATES the headwings in the Maxi Cosi Pita 70. Maybe it's a sensory issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC