Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Narrow carseat in Japan?

Asking for a friend.

Her daughter is close to 2, but forward facing (no chance of changing that). Seat she got is a weird looking very small looking black and white FF seat with no chest clip. Baby pulls her arms out.

She wants to just buy a chest clip to "fix" it. Claims its tight enough and straps are above her shoulders (from what I saw when she lived here, I doubt its right but not much I can do there).

Anyway, she is willing to buy a new seat, but has to be narrow (has 4 other kids in a small japanese van). Suggestions?
    Military family if that matters any.
    Mama to my awesome environmentalist kid Levi! (google him if you'd like!)
    7-13-07, 55", 62lbs
    Rearfaced to 8yrs, 9months (is now 10) Still boostered!
    CPST as of 6/19/08!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Narrow carseat in Japan?

The Coccoro is available in Japan. That's all I know but it should fit a 2 year old even forward facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

She could also order a US seat, as a military mom.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

As a mom who had to buy seats while stationed in Japan I would go with an american coccoro or a radian. Most seats are too big to be shipped to her APO/FPO address and no Japanese seat will have a chest clip and most have extremely low weight limits on them. The base exchange will be an option but they have extremely limited choices if any good ones at all. And if she does choose to order one and ship it her best bet is probably through the BX/NEX/MCX etc. website.

CPS Technician
    I support a U.S. seat too. I have an English speaking friend living in Japan who just had a baby. He needed car seat advice and I directed him to check the manual but since it was entirely in Japanese that was problematic since he doesn't speak Japanese!
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

7. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

That's an excellent point.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!