Minivan or Mazda5 POLL :)

What should I buy?

• Sedona

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Mazda5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Long live the beluga whale (keep the Safari)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Keeanh

When I put $1200 into fixing a seized clutch in my van, I said I would drive it 3 more AC-less summers. I did that. As I got around the 270,000km mark, I decided I would go for 300,000 kms. I'm at 298,500. I've never had a bit of trouble with the old girl, but it's 16 years old and I don't fully trust it on long hauls either. I'm finally wrapping my head around parting with my beloved Safari.

Another consideration, my kids are starting to drive. I don't even want to know what might happen if that airbag goes off. Plus, it's difficult to drive in winter conditions (RWD). I can handle it, but I'm pretty sure my kids would crash it. Which is why I have no plans to let them take it out in icy conditions LOL. But it's gonna have to happen sometime. It's not all that nimble or responsive and has some quirks that I don't mind, but might be difficult or distracting for a new driver.

Do I go for another van (thinking Sedona)? Or a Mazda5? Thinking 2010-ish. Both are in the same price range ($10K - $12K CDN).

I can't do a small car. Sometimes I need to carry two hockey bags plus bringing home a Costco haul. I'm not doing an SUV, because gas mileage is a huge reason I want to ditch the Safari. So if I'm going for a station wagon kind of vehicle, I might as well get the Mazda5 and have the option to carry another person around town. I almost never have to carry 4+ people AND cargo at the same time, unless it's the whole family in which case we take the 15p. 2010 has stability control, so I would probably hold out for that model year.

But am I going to miss the space of my van? Is it going to drive me nuts trying to juggle kids plus stuff? I practically live in that van. I usually have the back seat folded down. I love that I can leave a bunch of stuff in the van all the time and then I always have it. Not cluttered crap LOL. I mean a stroller (when I have a little one), a bin of jackets, a box of emergency supplies, tow rope, chains, a flat of water (for when we get to an arena and there's a water advisory and I can supply the whole team ;) ), etc..

Then there's this small part of me that says, "But, you already own the Safari. It's only $650 a year for insurance. It hasn't caused trouble yet. It's not really that hard to drive..."

Help me out here guys!! :D

ADS

Dillipop

For winter driving, we don't find our mazda5 all that great. However, we have never invested in snow tires and that may make all the difference. Our sienna doesn't do that well either though but again, snow tires might help that out.

If we were able to keep the third row down in our Mazda, costco runs and likely bags would be doable. As would keeping some stuff in the rear, I think. But the extra deep well of our sienna is dreamy, even with the third row up.

Is there a mazda5 close by you can look at? Take everything you want to use the trunk area for and try it out?

And an FYI, with all seats in use, the storage capabilities are really only the trunk space, which is about the size of 6 fridge packs of canned soda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeanh

For winter driving, we don't find our mazda5 all that great. However, we have never invested in snow tires and that may make all the difference. Our sienna doesn't do that well either though but again, snow tires might help that out.

If we were able to keep the third row down in our Mazda, costco runs and likely bags would be doable. As would keeping some stuff in the rear, I think. But the extra deep well of our sienna is dreamy, even with the third row up.

Is there a mazda5 close by you can look at? Take everything you want to use the trunk area for and try it out?

And an FYI, with all seats in use, the storage capabilities are really only the trunk space, which is about the size of 6 fridge packs of canned soda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!!

A lady my daughter babysits for has a 5. I poked around in it and played with the seats. I know you have to choose between the back seats OR cargo. It's big enough for going to tournaments (hockey bags plus Costco on the way home), but in a "pack it just right" kind of way. I'm spoiled with my "chuck it all in wherever and there's still room for more" van :p.

Yes, good quality snow tires make all the difference. I've driven the Safari in winter conditions with summer tires, M&S tires, cheap snow tires, and expensive snow tires. With the GOOD snow tires, I can get home without sliding. With everything else, I needed chains to get from the highway to our house.

jjordan

We got snow tires for our Sedona last winter and it did great on slippery roads. I think that the storage difference in a minivan over a Mazda 5 would be something you'd appreciate from what you wrote.

jasminegrl

At this point i would probably choose the minivan over the 5 and I already own a 5. I'm pregnant with our 3rd and hauling any cargo such as groceries in the back with my daughter sitting next to it makes me nervous. The 3rd row also doesn't have very much leg room if you did need to use it for your older kids.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I love my 5, but all my kids are basically done with seats (we throw the incognito around like a frisbee), and you have a new seat (ahem, baby, I mean ;)) on the way so.....probably not. My 16 yo has 4 best friends, and they can all cram in without any luggage, but that leaves my 9 yo out sometimes, so I miss my van on those days. And the car feels really heavy to drive when it's that full.
In another ten years, though, when it's got better small overlap crash ratings, I'll try to talk you into it then :)

lgenne

I have a minivan and a Mazda5 and I love them both for different reasons.

If I could only have one, it would be the minivan, though. No question. If I only need to transport people and no "stuff", I prefer the 5. Add even a little bit of "stuff", though, and the math changes rapidly.

SavsMom

I'd go with a regular minivan. I loved my Mazda5 and it was great for just me and my 2 kids. For you, even if everyone won't fit in it, I think you'll enjoy the flexibility of more useable seating options and cargo room of a regular minivan vs the 5.

threeundertwo

We had a Mazda5 and traded it for an Odyssey 3 years ago after spending a year taking turns doing Costco runs because we couldn't fit all of us and Costco stuff in the Mazda5. We also have 3 kids so with 2 it might be doable. The van is so much more convenient and the gas mileage is only slightly worse than the Mazda. If you spend a lot of time in your vehicle, I'd do van. The extra space will come in handy and you won't have to worry if something or someone will fit. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC