Kind of an "out there" question, but...

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Has anyone ever cut the lower anchor strap(s) off of a seat they only ever intend to use the seatbelt to install? Are there other reasons not to do it beyond "someday you might want to use LATCH"? I am always looking for ways to make seats lighter and have less stuff hanging off of them, but I don't want to do something reckless.

Thanks. Sorry if this sounds totally loony. I promise I won't do it if it's a really bad idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

AllieK

I was temped when DS peed in his Frontier and all the urine pooled in the click tight compartment where the latch connectors are stored! Needless to say, I didnt. Hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Other than the possibility of wanting to use lower anchors, someday you might *need* to use them - installing in a friend's car with a frayed seatbelt, or say your car is in the shop and the loaner is incompatible with seatbelt install for some reason.

That said, I don't think it's the most horrible thing ever, but I'd not encourage you to do it, either. I'm just generally not a big fan of chopping stuff off of seats, and the strap really doesn't add that much weight.

Dillipop

I cut mine off and store them in labeled ziploc bags in my garage.

lgenne

Not exactly. I removed (no cutting, and I kept it) the tether from my Scenera NEXT. I'll never use it FF, and it doesn't allow RF tethering. Removal was more about "why have this useless strap that's just going to get in my way?" than weight reduction.

I have been tempted to cut the stupid plastic thing on Evenflo seats that hold the LATCH strap on the seat and make it stupid hard to switch between the RF and FF belt paths, but I haven't done it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Well, officially I'd have to discourage anybody from modifying a seat.

Personally I'm a little neurotic about keeping my seats just like they came. I am the same way about almost everything else. I don't get rid of parts and accessories to anything, ever, and I hate it when I misplace things that got separated.

But reality is that if you cut the little strap or zip-tie like thing that attaches your LATCH things to the seat, and maybe store it in a ziplock labeled with the seat and DOM in case you ever need it in the future or re-home the seat, I wouldn't scold you too hard about it at a seat check.

katymyers

I can't count how many Evenflo Discovery/Nuture bases I've seen with the LATCH strap removed so you certainly wouldn't be the first person to do it. If you were to be the only owner of the seat and knew for certain the LATCH would never be needed I don't see why you couldn't. I'm personally with Brigala and I am totally neurotic about keeping my seats in original condition so I wouldn't do it, I don't think I really see much advantage in bothering to do so anyway.

jjordan

I don't see a problem with cutting the LATCH strap off the seat and storing it separately in a marked bag. I probably would not cut the LATCH strap off if it involved cutting the strap itself and rendering it useless (for instance in the case with my Britax convertibles, where the strap itself would have to be cut to remove it from the seat).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
. I'm personally with Brigala and I am totally neurotic about keeping my seats in original condition so I wouldn't do it,

It even bothers me that I have to remove infant inserts and store them somewhere. And I just CAN'T get rid of them. I wish seats would have storage spots for ALL THE THINGS. Lol.

Keeanh

Yeah, I'm with you on the "useless stuff hanging off seats" thing. I don't even have LATCH in my van, and until DH got his Tundra there was no LATCH in his car either. I don't see a problem with removing the LATCH strap intact and keeping it somewhere, but I've never done it. Most seats have somewhere you can clip it so it's not hanging loose.

Have to tell a story, though... Once, when we were several hours from home, our dog broke out of his crate in the 15p van (yes, a proper airline crate -- he got so worked up he bent the door!). He chewed up a seatbelt buckle. I was so glad I could install a seat there with LATCH and still make use of the spot until I got a new buckle.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Kind of an "out there" question, but...

Ok, thanks everyone. The seat in question is a Scenera NEXT. Since I am planning to use it for travel, and since I can't (or strongly prefer not to) use hook-style LATCH in my Subarus with buried anchors, I thought maybe I would just get rid of the LA strap and streamline the seat....but Keeanh's story made me change my mind...I suppose traveling is the time when I most want a versatile seat, in case of the unexpected!

katymyers

It even bothers me that I have to remove infant inserts and store them somewhere. And I just CAN'T get rid of them. I wish seats would have storage spots for ALL THE THINGS. Lol.

Yes! Omg, I totally agree. I have a plastic tote in my basement full of car seat parts that I'm terrified of losing.

littleangelfire

Yes! Should be part of the ideal seat. Especially when you have multiple children in seats in multiple vehicles it gets silly the random pieces. I have on my dining table right now a radian foot, the thinner rear facing harness pads, a crotch pad (though a little different those pads are extras), a britax infant insert, and a cocorro infant insert and diono infant insert. I don't know where to put them to keep them safe that I'll remember

griffinej5

I didn't cut them, but I did remove one from a seat. Not like I could use it anyway. I took the forward facing strap from a seat, and I don't put kids ff till they've outgrown the seat rf, so they'd be too heavy to use latch pretty much. I took it and latched a dog crate. Yes,I know the crate would deform in a serious crash, but it prevents the dog from causing an accident.

Cnidaria

I took the top tether off our Scenera NEXT as well for weight reduction when traveling, but it's easy to put back on.

aporthole

When we travel, I put our seat in our stroller and wrap the LA strap around the sides of the stroller and connect them to each other in the back and route the top by tether over the top and connect. I know with luggage carts you can do the same kind of thing to secure a seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC