How Do I properly dispose of a carseat?

brooksfamily

As some of you may have read in other threads we were recently in an accident and our Pria 70 is no longer good as per the manual. I have replaced the seat, but I upgraded to an 85. This leads to 2 questions:

1. How do I properly dispose of the Pria 70. It looks perfectly fine so I don't want someone to pluck it out of the trash knowing that it could be damaged even though it doesn't look damaged?

2. Are there any parts I should keep that aren't damaged? I'm assuming this would only be the cover.

3. Cover would be of no use to us. I'd be willing to give to someone for shipping cost. What's the best way to go about that?

TIA

ADS

1mommy

I would cut the straps, and put in a garbage bag and put in trash. You could also save strap covers and possibly locking clip if it comes with it. If you are feeling adventurous you could take a screw driver and try to take it apart to see how it works first lol. You could also write on the shell with a sharpie "Crashed - Unsafe"

You can save the cover, you can list it here on the swap forum as "Pria 70 cover, FFS (free for shipping), or try putting it in your local Craigslist for $10 to see if anyone is interested locally.

brooksfamily

Thanks ladies. I'm not very mechanical. I'll grab the locking clip, save seat and strap covers (just remembered my neighbor has one so she is going to take it) cut all the straps and put it in the dumpster. I'd love to recycle but with all that's going on right now I just need to go the easiest route.

rin2809

I used our expired seat straps to try out seatbelt cutter tool that I keep in the car in case of emergency. Was a win-win in my opinion.

brooksfamily

I took the cover off and gave it to my neighbor. I cut every strap with scissors, and wrote on the naked seat in silver sharpie, not safe, do not use. And know I want to get more of those scissors to keep in our cars. They cut right through the straps with no effort at all. Even though I loved the seat it was an oddly satisfying experience. Kind of like doing demo work in a house.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I took the cover off and gave it to my neighbor. I cut every strap with scissors, and wrote on the naked seat in silver sharpie, not safe, do not use. And know I want to get more of those scissors to keep in our cars. They cut right through the straps with no effort at all. Even though I loved the seat it was an oddly satisfying experience. Kind of like doing demo work in a house.

What brand of scissors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC