First Time I've Seen This!

AllieK

zu27542495_main_tm1436981090.jpg

zu27542495_alt_3_tm1437057572.jpg

I can't imagine anyone paying attention to it if I had it on my car, although wouldn't that be nice if everyone gave me an extra few inches to get the kids in & out? :D

ADS

Keeanh

I think it's an awful idea. To me, it looks like it's saying "I'm GOING to ding your car trying to get my kid in." That's just asking to get your car keyed, or for the guy parking beside you to open his door into you first. I park smack in the middle of my spot, and I expect that whoever is next to me will figure out how to not hit my car.

AllieK

I think it's an awful idea. To me, it looks like it's saying "I'm GOING to ding your car trying to get my kid in." That's just asking to get your car keyed, or for the guy parking beside you to open his door into you first. I park smack in the middle of my spot, and I expect that whoever is next to me will figure out how to not hit my car.

Oh yeah, I could totally see that too!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

My first reaction was that it would be ignored, but I agree that it would likely result in resentment from other drivers -- to be honest, my first thought would be, "how much space does this person need? Do I need to make it difficult for ME to get out on the other side just so they won't ding my door? If I don't give her enough room, will she ding my door and figure she 'warned' me? Should I take down her license plate in case something unsavory happens?"

I would appreciate the extra space for re-loading the kids, but as an outsider viewing that message I don't think it would be well-received (especially by those who don't have kids!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Interesting! Hmmmm.... I wonder if anyone could see it as they pull into a parking spot, though? And if it's on the passenger side (of the new car pulling in), they wouldn't see it at all, probably. And the picture should be of an infant seat, thinking that booster kid is scrawny enough to wriggle out (of course, that doesn't stop my kids from flinging doors all the way wide open :rolleyes:)

MelodyoftheForest

This reminds me of one mother of twins in my CPST class. She would have loved these! Her twins were in key fits, and if someone parked badly and prevented her from loading her baby(ies), she would put a sticker on their windshield saying they were bad Parker's or something. Probably illegal, but she did it. Now that I think of it, I think she had magnets or something on her doors that warned like these that she made herself.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My husband had the idea recently of giving families with small children a pass to park in handicap spaces so they can get the extra room around the car and not have to cross as much parking lot with small children in tow.

Of course there would be downsides and probably a need to designate more handicap spaces. But it's an interesting thought. It really does take more room sometimes to assist a child in and out of the car.

rin2809

My husband had the idea recently of giving families with small children a pass to park in handicap spaces so they can get the extra room around the car and not have to cross as much parking lot with small children in tow.

Of course there would be downsides and probably a need to designate more handicap spaces. But it's an interesting thought. It really does take more room sometimes to assist a child in and out of the car.

If nothing else, I would think it would be helpful to make the "New and expecting parent" spaces that a lot of people have a little wider.

Keeyamah

If nothing else, I would think it would be helpful to make the "New and expecting parent" spaces that a lot of people have a little wider.

It almost needs to be "expecting and parents of kids under 5" because I'm not a new mom (my youngest is 3, my goddaughter whom I have frequently is 17 months), but still have to open at least one door completely in order to get the 2 littles (who are also both rearfacing) unbuckled and out of the car.

Still wouldn't fix the jerks who park on the line or in 2 spots though, even with wider than normal spaces.

Oh, and I'd be totally willing for my spaces to also be for the elderly and veterans and such (our Home Depot has spaces labeled for veterans only, obviously no enforcement beyond self, but still).

featherhead

I've seen my in-laws park in the baby spots with their 8 or 9 year old grandson. Our signs often say parking for parents with little ones, or expecting moms. So I guess it depends on your definition of "little one".

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Our Target has a 'shoppers with children' spot or two next to the handicapped spots, so that's cool. BRU has only 'expectant mama' spots, but they should extend it to 'with children', because yeah, hauling toddlers through a parking lot is no picnic.

Dillipop

I always park next to the cart corrals. I know my car is more likely to be dinged but I don't care. It means that I'll always have room to remove/load kids on one side. And in Oregon where the spots are the size of a mini-compact car, knowing the extra space is there makes it worth the dings.

Having people park too close is also the reason I will have sliding doors until all the kids are teenagers.

rachelandtyke

The local large chain grocery store has spots close for parents with small children.

I park next to a cart corral whenever possible, too. Makes it easier to load and unload kid(s) and purchases. I can stick the toddler right in the cart and the big kids will stay close by. I also agree on the sliding doors! Makes a huge difference!

a09

I'
My husband had the idea recently of giving families with small children a pass to park in handicap spaces so they can get the extra room around the car and not have to cross as much parking lot with small children in tow. Of course there would be downsides and probably a need to designate more handicap spaces. But it's an interesting thought. It really does take more room sometimes to assist a child in and out of the car.

As someone w a child w a life threatening disorder I despise this idea. It's hard enough to find a close parking spot as it is. There are a ton of people with legit disabilities. Better treatments, an extended war, longer lifespans, obesity are all leading to more people using passes without there being an increase in the legal requirement for spots. I'm all for making special family spots right past the handicap spots but someone with a typical two year old should not have to walk a shorter distance than someone who has a handicap just because they have to take their child in a store. If it is that difficult for them to keep up with their child they can use a carrier, child leash, bring help, use a sitter, or perhaps wait to have kids. But to think that having a child should entitle someone to a handicap pass is insane that's abuse of the system. I'm also going to add that I often take my child plus extras with special needs (that run off), sometimes a service dog, and wheelchair plus bags and manage just fine.

katymyers

I'

As someone w a child w a life threatening disorder I despise this idea. It's hard enough to find a close parking spot as it is. There are a ton of people with legit disabilities. Better treatments, an extended war, longer lifespans, obesity are all leading to more people using passes without there being an increase in the legal requirement for spots. I'm all for making special family spots right past the handicap spots but someone with a typical two year old should not have to walk a shorter distance than someone who has a handicap just because they have to take their child in a store. If it is that difficult for them to keep up with their child they can use a carrier, child leash, bring help, use a sitter, or perhaps wait to have kids. But to think that having a child should entitle someone to a handicap pass is insane that's abuse of the system. I'm also going to add that I often take my child plus extras with special needs (that run off), sometimes a service dog, and wheelchair plus bags and manage just fine.

I totally agree. I actually have a friend that has twins who were premature and were on oxygen until they were about 7 months old, she has a disability parking permit because they were on oxygen but she BRAGS about using it when they weren't with her and she still uses it now (even though her twins are over 2.5 and no longer have ANY conditions qualifying as disabilities) because 'having twins is hard' and it hasn't expired so she doesn't give a s**t. She even takes handicapped spots at the hospital and doctors offices she goes to. It absolutely enrages me that she takes advantage of that permit. I know families with children with fairly severe limitations that have been denied permits and I also know people that frequently can't even park in handicapped spots because they're all taken.

Keeyamah

Or everywhere could do like Costco and have extra space between the spaces with kinda, double wide lines, if that makes sense. All of the lines make a U shape and are wider than normal. But regular stores would lose parking spaces and areas like historic downtowns, etc, would lose a large number of spaces if they did that.

a09

I totally agree. I actually have a friend that has twins who were premature and were on oxygen until they were about 7 months old, she has a disability parking permit because they were on oxygen but she BRAGS about using it when they weren't with her and she still uses it now (even though her twins are over 2.5 and no longer have ANY conditions qualifying as disabilities) because 'having twins is hard' and it hasn't expired so she doesn't give a s**t. She even takes handicapped spots at the hospital and doctors offices she goes to. It absolutely enrages me that she takes advantage of that permit. I know families with children with fairly severe limitations that have been denied permits and I also know people that frequently can't even park in handicapped spots because they're all taken. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's crazy!! What actually make me post today was the jimmy johns delivery people using them locally to be faster when there aren't enough. When you complain they do nothing about it or are jerks about it.

a09

Or everywhere could do like Costco and have extra space between the spaces with kinda, double wide lines, if that makes sense. All of the lines make a U shape and are wider than normal. But regular stores would lose parking spaces and areas like historic downtowns, etc, would lose a large number of spaces if they did that.

I think this would work great at most places though. If people would just park well everywhere else it would make a big difference. Small historic areas will always be tight though.

Mysweethoneybee

Today I parked in a tight space and noticed the car next to me had two infant seat bases in the back seat so I parked elsewhere because there was no way they would be able to open the door with me parked there. I hope they left before someone else parked there. But I just normally look for that kind of thing. I guess most people don't think about it.

cookie123

Today I parked in a tight space and noticed the car next to me had two infant seat bases in the back seat so I parked elsewhere because there was no way they would be able to open the door with me parked there. I hope they left before someone else parked there. But I just normally look for that kind of thing. I guess most people don't think about it.

Probably not. I have never thought of it myself. I'm a terrible parker. I need remedial parking lessons. My car always looks like a drunk parked it. I don't know what's wrong. I never had this problem when I was driving my Tribute. And I try hard!

I feel like the warning is asking for trouble. And parking spaces can be at a premium. Sometimes you have to park where you have to park.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC