(NEW QUESTION) Too big for CRS on plane?

LifeIsAZoo

My husband and I will be flying for the first time with our kids next week, and again next month. We were planning to take our Size4Me for DS2 (age 4, 40 lbs) to use on the plane, but I just noticed that the FAA says that they recommend kids under 40 lbs be in a CRS and over 40lbs to use a seatbelt. Is this something airlines enforce? We'll be flying Southwest, if it matters. We'll need our seat when we arrive at our destination, as we'll be renting a car...and I really don't want to check it, but I guess we could. The other option, I suppose, is that we could ship a carseat ahead to my parents, and carry-on a booster for DS2 for the hour-ish ride from the airport to their house. What makes the most sense? Are there other options I'm not thinking of?

Last edited:
ADS

Aurezalia

I've never heard of them enforcing that, but the easiest way to avoid it would be to just say he's under 40lbs if they question it. ;) Especially since he JUST hit 40 - fudging his weight down a little should be super easy.

kathysr98

We flew with my dd in a car seat when she was a little over 40lbs and had no one questioned us. I agree with fudging his weight if necessary since you need the seat at your destination.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Re: Too big for CRS on plane?

They aren't going to weigh him. I wouldn't worry about them enforcing that recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LifeIsAZoo

Re: Too big for CRS on plane?

Thanks. :) I tend to be a rule-follower (too much so, sometimes?) but it sounds like this isn't a safety thing, and it's probably fine to bend this one.

I'm contemplating shipping a seat anyway, though (maybe a Maestro, or a Harmony Defender?)...it might be easier than lugging the Size4Me through the airport (especially as I'll be travelling without my DH for our second trip). The 4 yo would be boostered for 2 hours total (one each way) and I think he's mature enough to handle that. I could even sit between him and his brother to remind him to be still if needed.

LifeIsAZoo

(NEW QUESTION) - Too big for CRS on plane?

I guess the third option is buying a new seat to use on the plane - one that's light and really easy to install. I see the Maestro and Harmony defender both recommended as good travel seats - is one easier to install than the other? It will be going in an unknown rental car. I know that the Maestro doesn't last all that long as a booster, but that's not a huge concern for me (we will have a HBB to pass down from DS1 in a year or two).

creideamh

Maestro definitely. The Defender can have some incompatibility issues, which is definitely not what you want with an unknown rental car.

LifeIsAZoo

We bought a Maestro but it's not comfortable for my kiddo. The straps dig into his neck/shoulders and he hates it. We're flying on Thursday, and just discovered that our primary seat is damaged (it's being replaced, but we won't get it before this weekend). Is there another option for a light, easy-to-install seat for travel?

AllieK

My 2nd choice travel seat is the Evenflo Sureride, but again, no harness strap covers.

3rd choice would be a Graco Contender but OMG just realized no harness strap covers! Wow... okay then I would just use the Size4Me. Maybe Graco would give you approval to use the Size4Me harness pads on a Contender?

Sorry, I'm probably just confusing you even more. :(

LifeIsAZoo

No, we bought the original/standard Maestro. I feel like the distance between the straps is actually a bigger issue than the lack of covers - I pulled some fabric up from the kid's shirt earlier while we were trying the seat (just to see if it would help) and he said it still hurt.

I discovered significant damage to the foam on the head surround of the Size4Me earlier this afternoon while removing the cover to wash - the seat is unusable. It's being replaced (I'm REALLY impressed with Graco's CS), but won't arrive until this weekend...so it's not an option for this trip.

People on another site recommended that I look into the Graco Tranzitions and the Defender. The Tranzitions was easier to get on short notice and a bit cheaper (no one-day shipping charge) so I went ahead and bought that one - hopefully it will work for us.

LifeIsAZoo

I picked the Tranzitions up today and can't for the life of me get a good install in my car ('04 Highlander). Doesn't seem to fit in our Camry either. The Maestro was super easy to install but the kid complained the whole way to the store to get the Tranzitions (45 mins) that his neck hurt. I'm really at a loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

maramarrie

We bought a Maestro last year and shipped it ahead to friends at our destination so that we only had to carry one CRS on the plane. On the return trip, we packed the Maestro back into its box with some of our shopping purchases and checked it as one of our luggage pieces with no problems. So even if you don't want to ship a seat ahead of you, you could at least box it and check it more securely than tossing it in a bag on the belt.

We are also traveling soon and realizing that it might not be wise to throw DS into a booster just because it travels easier. I'm undecided on what we will do. The plan was to use the Maestro for DD this time and maybe a booster for DS, but we may just have to take two harnessed seats again. I have one kiddo at 38# and one at 45# so they could both use the airplane seat (or DD can use CARES), but I don't want to check two seats in the conventional way. In a box, I will, but I have to be able to get it into the airport easily. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC