Do seat covers ever expire?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I got a great deal on a "Like New" open box Snugli Harnessed Booster. It hasn't arrived yet, but it was a crazy good deal and so I am guessing that if it is truly in "like new" condition, the very low price must be because it has lost a good deal of its usable life due to sitting in a warehouse or something.

So, if I keep it and it expires before I am ready to be done with it, can I buy a SecureKid and put the Snugli cover on it? I realized that the only differences between the two seats are in the soft goods (Snugli has the memory foam and the Outlast fabric and I think that's the only difference?) So could I dress a SecureKid in an expired Snugli's clothing?

Also, I think I read somewhere on here that you can get strap covers for the SecureKid now -- can I get them for my Snugli too? Do I call Evenflo and give them my info for the Snugli seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't worry about them expiring. They don't do the hard work of holding hundreds of pounds of force in a crash that we need the harness and shell to be in tip top shape to do properly.
I haven't heard of covers being recalled, though I suppose it's always a possibility, so do register the whole seat even if you are only saving the cover.
They should sell you the strap covers, it's still an Evenflo, after all. Those snugli covers are so cute!

And, this makes me sad for the days when we all traded and sold Roundabout and Marathon covers constantly. I think most of the seats in this album are Britaxes, and a whole bunch of the covers were shared between lots of these kids, lol http://cpsafety.azurewebsites.net/articles/RFAlbum.aspx (click on each thumbnails, like Cias has quite a few cute covers) It was one simple piece of padded velour or cotton with elastic around the outside, so much simpler than the complicated stuff we have nowadays with all the clips and elastics and whatnot!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Awww! What cute RF children! I am always on the lookout for a RA 55 cover so I can give my G4 a new look!

featherhead

I haven't heard of covers being recalled, though I suppose it's always a possibility, so do register the whole seat even if you are only saving the cover.

Actually there was a cover recall once, though I'm guessing it was just in Canada. I forget which seat it was, as it was many years ago. The amount of padding in the cover was either a bit too much, or perhaps not enough, and it caused the seat to fail testing.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Well, that was a bust. The good news is that I like the seat and found it very easy to install in my car. However, it was totally not in "like new" condition. The lumbar support pillow was missing, it had dirt on it, and there were two date of manufacture stickers with different dates (not off by much, but still kind of sketch, right?). It definitely felt used -- no tags, etc. I installed it in my car just for fun and I think I would totally buy a new one down the road, but since we don't actually need a FF seat right now, this one is going back to Amazon. :-(

I am so disappointed, but I guess that taught me an important lesson about Amazon Warehouse Deals.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, that's a drag. I've ordered all kinds of 'like new' stuff and haven't been disappointed. But nothing with cloth and soft goods, so less to go wrong.
Amazon should keep a tech on staff to examine carseat returns. (I was going to put lol there, but I'm not even kidding...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC