US Airways "Policy"

mamita

Thank you all for your comments. It is obvious that this is an outdated policy. Here's what I'm thinking of doing... I'll install the car seat RF. If they say something, I'll show them the sticker and FAA regulations. Thanks laurenrachey for your suggestion of taking 2 copies with me. I'll definitely do that. If they keep pushing, I'll ask to talk to the captain. He is the ultimate authority on the plane. If I can't convince him. Then, I'll switch the seat. If that's the case, I'll write a long letter to FAA regarding this whole issue.

ADS

TXAggieTech

Re: US Airways "Policy" **UPDATED**

Unless you just want to prove a point I would go with she is only 19lbs for the flight. If you are trying to change policy I would address it after the flight unless you can be flexible with you flight plans.

lovemyfamily

Put your child in the seat on the plane. Then ask the flight attendant, if they even question it, to show you in their manual where the above is stated. I am a former US Airways flight attendant, well I worked for America West who is now US Airways and the manual contradicts itself. HOWEVER, in one page it does say that carseats must be used according to the manufacturers instructions.
I flew 2 weeks ago with my 4yo buckled securely in his MA on a US Airways flight, noone said a word.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Let me see if I can dig up an email addyfor you guys, I have switched laptops since the fiasco but I emailed pics of the SS1 to Suzette Fallon at FAA of my SS1 I recieved a letter from the FAA saying Republic Airways (who actually opperated my US Airways flight) was changing their guidelines to say follow Manf guidelines and I recieved a phone call stating US Airways would as well.

I have done tons of research on this, chances are slim to none IMO we will ever get them to stop not allowing lap babies but maybe we can get them to let us rf our kids past 1 and 20#. Honestly though data and statistics just don't back up the need for them to be rfing vs ffing enough for airlines to want to inconvience the person sitting in front of your rfing seat. We just flew with Josh on Delta last month and my brother and SIL went ghost white when the FA tried to tell us mid flight how we really should have the boys 13 & 14 mos at the time ff in their RA's. I calmly and politely stated my reasons for having them rfing and even pulled his seat more upright and said "here that person can recline their seat now" she stuttered and said "oh she didn't ask but if she had...."

Yes in the event of a runway crash rfing would be great and for sleeping, not dropping toys etc. but the MOST important thing is in the event of a survivable crash or turbulence your child is restrained so they either don't strike something or someone and cause injuries to themselves or someone else IE: you and you would not be able to get them off the plane if need be. Or in a runway crash you are able to grab them because they are strapped beside you and exit the plane.

If someone has data stating rfing on a plane is safer please send it to me to add to my collection, at some point I hope to persue this issue further.

mom2acrew

Okay Ladies this is the contact whom I dealt with she is in charge of US Airways for the FAA, I apologize I can not locate her email address at the moment, this is from the FAA site.

Suzette E Fallon
Functional Job Title:
Service Unit:
Directorate: Great Lakes Region - Flight Standards Division
Division: Indianapolis, Indiana - FSDO - 11

Physical Address: Mail Address:

FAA Indianapolis FSDO-11 FAA Indianapolis FSDO-11
8303 W. Southern Ave. 8303 W. Southern Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46241 Indianapolis, IN 46241
Room Number: Room Number:
Desk Location: Mail Stop:

steph

I just flew for the first time with Ryan on Express Jets and the airline attendant didn't even look twice at Ryan who was RF in his Britax BV (he is 28 pounds and looks over 1). I was so prepared to argue;). It may depend on your airline attendant too but I would definately make sure and take all the info you need.

Good luck!!!

lovemyfamily

Let me see if I can dig up an email addyfor you guys, I have switched laptops since the fiasco but I emailed pics of the SS1 to Suzette Fallon at FAA of my SS1 I recieved a letter from the FAA saying Republic Airways (who actually opperated my US Airways flight) was changing their guidelines to say follow Manf guidelines and I recieved a phone call stating US Airways would as well.

I have done tons of research on this, chances are slim to none IMO we will ever get them to stop not allowing lap babies but maybe we can get them to let us rf our kids past 1 and 20#. Honestly though data and statistics just don't back up the need for them to be rfing vs ffing enough for airlines to want to inconvience the person sitting in front of your rfing seat. We just flew with Josh on Delta last month and my brother and SIL went ghost white when the FA tried to tell us mid flight how we really should have the boys 13 & 14 mos at the time ff in their RA's. I calmly and politely stated my reasons for having them rfing and even pulled his seat more upright and said "here that person can recline their seat now" she stuttered and said "oh she didn't ask but if she had...."

Yes in the event of a runway crash rfing would be great and for sleeping, not dropping toys etc. but the MOST important thing is in the event of a survivable crash or turbulence your child is restrained so they either don't strike something or someone and cause injuries to themselves or someone else IE: you and you would not be able to get them off the plane if need be. Or in a runway crash you are able to grab them because they are strapped beside you and exit the plane.

If someone has data stating rfing on a plane is safer please send it to me to add to my collection, at some point I hope to persue this issue further.

Just wanted to add that US Airways does not own Republic. They are their own company, may also be listed as Chataqua. Did your plane say US Airways on it, or Republic? If it said Republic, you need to contact their customer complaint department too. Lots of airlines do what is called code sharing, where you can purchase the ticket through the US Airways website or their toll free number, but when you actually fly, you are flown by a plane owned and operated by another airline. Even US Airways Express is actually owned and operated by Mesa Airgroup. Trust me, it is all VERY confusing for the employees, I cannot imagine how the passengers feel.

lovemyfamily

I just took my CPST class last week and in the secton about air planes it said RF to 20 lbs, FF 20-40, nothing past 40. I mentioned that this was WRONG and outdated and that I had just flown Southwest with my 28 pound 2.5 yo RF (half of the class went :eek::eek::eek:) and the instructor said it was against the FAA policy. I told her that the FAA policy was to use the seat per manufacturer's recommendations but she responded with the "in a crash the seat won't help anyway blah blah blah...". :rolleyes:

Too bad she didn't say that after the 3yo was the sole survivor on a plane crash this week. AND the carseat is not there on the plane to protect from a "crash." Turbulence causes 100s, if not 1000s, of injuries to passengers and crew every year.

mom2acrew

Yes I do know USA does not own Rep Airlines. My refund came from USA because that is who I purchased my tickets through. The FAA opened an investigation, the pilot filed a great report (I spoke to him exiting the plane)Rep Airways deferred me to USA I was told ulitimately it is not the pilots job to know the car seat rules (both by USA CS and FAA) that is is up to the FA's. The pilots job is to fly the plane....whatever, If I drive a car it's my responsibilty to know everyone is restrained properly HOWEVER since lap children are allowed :rolleyes: technically there was nothing wrong in their opinion. Now the issue came because I had purchased Josh a ticket and w/out a car seat a 6m old isn't allowed to sit in their seat. I flew 3 out of 4 flights with no issues. Honestly we need to figure out a way to make the FAA require FA's to have child restraint training, if FA's knew the facts clearer we would have all this confusion. I would like to see the aircrafts all have laminated sheets readily available to reference when questions come up w/ standard info.....probably a pipe dream I know.

I think it was all handled well after the fact. My SS1 was replaced, we recieved refunds and vouchers for future flights. The name I posted is the FAA office that handles USA and follows up on issues like this. I don't know if you read the article but our issue wasnt a rf vs ff. Josh was not allowed to ride in any restraint because the FA said rfing seats were not allowed period..not a wieght issue. I only had a SS1 with me or I would have in that situation put him ff just to have him restrained. We'd already been traveling 8 hrs after a 3 day conference and this was the last flight here. I had 4 kids to get home too. It was an awful experience to KNOW how unsafe Josh was and still be forced to make the decision to stay on the flight. With all the circumstances I didn't feel like I had much of a choice at the time.

So my issue wasn't technically a US Airways flight but USA was the one to handle all communications, they were the name on my ticket and who I paid for my ticket. From what the FAA stated Rep Airlines needs to follow USA guidelines if they are contracted to operate a flight for them.

Just wanted to add that US Airways does not own Republic. They are their own company, may also be listed as Chataqua. Did your plane say US Airways on it, or Republic? If it said Republic, you need to contact their customer complaint department too. Lots of airlines do what is called code sharing, where you can purchase the ticket through the US Airways website or their toll free number, but when you actually fly, you are flown by a plane owned and operated by another airline. Even US Airways Express is actually owned and operated by Mesa Airgroup. Trust me, it is all VERY confusing for the employees, I cannot imagine how the passengers feel.

mom2acrew

Thank you, I do have that one. I think (I didn't read the whole article tonight but I have in the past), unfortunately they only tested a 6m old dummy and it was 1994 so seats didn't even rf beyond 20# back then. We need newer testing of the new seats to determine wether that seat back which will break and come forward on to the rf child is going to be an issue. IMO anyway :)

That is the reason booster seats were never allowed because the seat back would come forward onto the child and pin them to the booster.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC