US Airways "Policy"

mamita

Has anyone seen this on USAirways website:

# A safety seat may face backwards if the infant weighs less than 20 lbs. For infants weighing between 20 and 40 pounds, the safety seat must face forward.

# Children over the age of two may occupy an approved forward-facing safety seat provided the child weighs no more than 40 lbs.

Source: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/specialneeds/children.aspx

We will be traveling with DD who will be 13 months then (December). She is currently 22 lbs. She has her own seat on the plane. I want to RF her on the plane. BUT it will be hard to argue when this is so plainly (and wrongly!) written.

Help! What should I do?

*******************************UPDATE**************************

Here's USAirways response...

"Our Child Restraint System policies and procedures are FAA approved and cannot be altered in any way without a formal recommendation and policy approval from the FAA."

Who feels like writing a few letters?

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

I would think the FAA policy would override the US Airways policy which states to follow the limits allowed by the carseat manufacturer. Make sure to take these documents with you to show them in case they challange you on it.

Here is the FAA regulations on carseats on airplanes:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC 120-87A.pdf

Here is a brochure from FAA talking about using carseats on airplanes, but it doesn't go into the full specifics of the FAA regulations which I have needed at times, especially when wanting two children in carseats in one row.
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/media/childsafety.pdf

skipspin

I'd probably go with "19 lbs" too. ;-)

Most likely they are just outdated rules. I mean my DS is almost 20 lb at 7.5 months. But, there is no seat that I could "legally" FF him in on the plane, KWIM? I don't have a big problem FFing a child that's 1 and 20 on a plane, but if you want to RF her I'd go for it! She's close enough I don't see them saying anything.

VLsMom

Thats crazy. I would just say she only weighs 19 lbs too. Do you really think they'd take the time to whip out a scale?

mamita

Thanks for your replies. I wrote them an email. I want them to change the website and their outdated policy.

Here's what I wrote:

Dear Sr or Madam,

Please refer to the following paragraph on USAirways website:

“A safety seat may face backwards if the infant weighs less than 20 lbs. For infants weighing between 20 and 40 pounds, the safety seat must face forward.” Source: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/specialneeds/children.aspx

Also, please refer to FAA Advisory Circular No: 120-87A “Use of Child Restrain Systems on Aircraft” Dated 12/1/2006. Initiated by: AFS-200

Item no. 18 on AC 120-87A states:
"CRS [child restraint] must be installed in forward facing aircraft seats, in accordance with instructions on the label. This includes placing the CRS in the appropriate forward or aft-facing [rear-facing] direction as indicated on the label for the size of the child. ..."

My daughter is 22 lbs, and our FAA-approved car-seat allows for rear-facing up to 35 lbs. This is clearly stated on the label. She rides rear-facing in the car.

I would like to request the following:

1. A letter from USAirways that clearly states that I can install my daughters’ car seat rear-facing on the airplane (in accordance to manufacturer’s instructions)

2. A revision of USAirways policy/website to reflect best practices regarding CRS. That is, the website should state that FAA approved CRS should be used according to the instructions on the label.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Zabs

yeah, I's just claim 19 lbs too. Besides, I kinda doubt anyone is going to come around and ask "is your baby 20 lbs?" They probably don't even know the rule.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I have been thinking about this since Tucker is getting older. I am going to ask my Dr to write a note saying she must sit RF in all modes of transportation for medical reasons. They can't argue with a medical note. I will also carry all the FAA regualtions with me as well.

mamita

USAirways wrote back a long pre-packaged email with a whole lot of useless information I already knew.

They did NOT, however, answer my question. They did not even acknowledge it. So, I replied asking the same question. We'll see what they come back with now.

I'll keep you updated...

heathernick06

That policy does sound outdated. I decided to check Southwest Airlines policy, and I found something that I thought was strange.

It states that : Any CRD manufactured between January 1, 1961 and February 25, 1985, must have the following label: "This child restraint device conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards."

1961???

MsFacetious

Yes this is their policy and yes they do adhere to it. If I remember correctly US Airways was the airline that one of our members had trouble with. I am trying to find the article but I can not.

However, the mother was forced to put her son on her lap. She had bought a seat for him and had his Graco Safe Seat. The airline would not let her use it because he was over 20lbs and they have to be forward facing on the plane after 20lbs. It didn't matter that the seat went to 30lbs, or she had bought his own seat. She was forced to gate check the carseat in order to get on the plane.

Anyone have a link??? It was on the news and then later we found out that it was a member here. I would NOT be at all confident that it just wouldn't be an issue if this is the same airline.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yes this is their policy and yes they do adhere to it. If I remember correctly US Airways was the airline that one of our members had trouble with. I am trying to find the article but I can not.

However, the mother was forced to put her son on her lap. She had bought a seat for him and had his Graco Safe Seat. The airline would not let her use it because he was over 20lbs and they have to be forward facing on the plane after 20lbs. It didn't matter that the seat went to 30lbs, or she had bought his own seat. She was forced to gate check the carseat in order to get on the plane.

Anyone have a link??? It was on the news and then later we found out that it was a member here. I would NOT be at all confident that it just wouldn't be an issue if this is the same airline.

I remember that thread - I think it was Janice- Beebear? It happened on their way home from Lifesavers IIRC - kind of ironic, huh?

I'd just say 19lbs, or even consider booking with another airline who will take time to actually read a customer's email & address the specific regulations addressed instead of sending a prepackaged one that doesn't answer the initial questions... ANd allow a parent to properly use their car seat on a plane in whichever seating position they choose provided it's according to the manufacturer instructions.

mlbmom

Re: US Airways "Policy" **UPDATED**

# Children over the age of two may occupy an approved forward-facing safety seat provided the child weighs no more than 40 lbs.

And if I'm reading this correctly, my 41-pound child can't ride in her Marathon on USAirways either?

Mel

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

And if I'm reading this correctly, my 41-pound child can't ride in her Marathon on USAirways either?

Mel

Yep... but then your 41lbs child only weighs 38lbs on the airplane... must be something with the air up there. :whistle:

skipspin

Sounds like a good reason to fly another airline to me! Continental has always impressed me, personally.

FWIW, I took my 4 yr old, 39# DD on a USAir flight in her RN and no one said a thing. She was in the aisle seat, I was in the center, and DS was RFing in the window seat. Most of the attendants were surprised I had her seat, AND that I bought a seat for my 7 month old, but no problems;-)

Also, it wasn't beebear (Janice) that had the problem with USAir, it was Mom2acrew (Jodi.)

natysr

Sounds like a good reason to fly another airline to me! Continental has always impressed me, personally.

FWIW, I took my 4 yr old, 39# DD on a USAir flight in her RN and no one said a thing. She was in the aisle seat, I was in the center, and DS was RFing in the window seat. Most of the attendants were surprised I had her seat, AND that I bought a seat for my 7 month old, but no problems;-)

Also, it wasn't beebear (Janice) that had the problem with USAir, it was Mom2acrew (Jodi.)

Continental tried to make me turn Jordan FF on one leg of a flight. I was armed with the Dec. 2006 advisory circular which was only about 2 weeks old or so. I showed her the section regarding using the seat per the manufacturers instructions. I told her that I would only fly with my son in the safest manner possible, which is allowed by the FAA and if she would not allow it then she could have the plane brought back to the gate and I would gladly get off the plane and find a flight on another airline (we were already taxiing...don't you love when you pre-board, yet they still wait until they start to taxi to tell you to install your seat differently). I also told her that we had already been on the plane with the seat installed and ready to go for nearly 20 minutes prior to her mentioning anything to me, and I would not remove my son from his safety restrains while the "fasten seatbelt" sign was lit.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
When was this policy written? Leila rode RF on 4 separate USAirways planes in March 2005 @ 3 yrs & over 20# (I just handed them the official FAA advisory + pointed out the limits on the seat)

laurenrachey

Oooo this burns me up! Ugh. Yeah I'd take highlighted copies of the Federal Aviation Regulations for each leg of your trip, so there's no hassle about having your copy returned. Make sure your stickers on your seat are complete and easily read. Then politely tell them to shove it. Under your breath might be best :whistle: but man this makes me mad! I've never flown with Caleb, nor will I have any reason to in the near future. I tried digging up some links for you:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...862571AB005032E6?OpenDocument&Highlight=child
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...862571AB005032BD?OpenDocument&Highlight=child

I see the exact rules you listed above on the FAA website only they are titled RECOMMENDATIONS NOT Regulations

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I just took my CPST class last week and in the secton about air planes it said RF to 20 lbs, FF 20-40, nothing past 40. I mentioned that this was WRONG and outdated and that I had just flown Southwest with my 28 pound 2.5 yo RF (half of the class went :eek::eek::eek:) and the instructor said it was against the FAA policy. I told her that the FAA policy was to use the seat per manufacturer's recommendations but she responded with the "in a crash the seat won't help anyway blah blah blah...". :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC