Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Red face Convertible for Larger Infant? in 13 Hyundai Sonata

Hi,
    We have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, and we're in need of a convertible seat that will allow our large infant (20 lbs and 27 inches at 4 months, with most of that height in his torso). We also have an 8 year old who is currently in a Britax Frontier in booster mode, so this seat will be installed outbound.

My first inclination is to go with a Britax Boulevard, because that's what worked with my older son, but I know the car seat world has changed a lot since then. I'm in search of a seat that will allow us to rear-face to 2 years old at a minimum (longer would be fantastic) and is easy to use with straps that don't have a tendency to twist all of the time, buckles that are easy to use, not a pain to get a good install, etc.

I'm curious to hear of everyone's suggestions for a seat. If you've had an experience installing in a Sonata, that's a bonus.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Convertible for Larger Infant? in 13 Hyundai Sonata

The Britax Boulevard would be a good option -- those manufactured after 11/2014 can now be used rear-facing until the child's head is less than 1" inch from the top of the fully-extended headrest, rather than just from the top of the shell. So you would get more height room than before. For a seat that will last even longer FF, you could try the Clicktight convertibles, but whether you would really need that depends on how long you have before your Frontier expires. I find the Clicktight convertibles heavy and awkward and prefer the g4.1 Britax convertibles, now that they can be used longer RF by height.

Other seats that are easy to install and don't take up a ton of room:

Nextfit
    Milestone
    Potentially the new Graco Extend2Fit (not out until Jan, so it depends on how long you have before you need it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

Re: Convertible for Larger Infant? in 13 Hyundai Sonata

We're currently in A B-Safe 35, which we're not outgrowing by height or weight yet, but shoulder width is lacking severely.

The Frontiers that we have in our cars are manufactured in 9/2010 and 7/2012. We have a Boulevard that we got from a friend (who I trust with car seat treatment) that will give us another year or so before we'd need a second convertible seat in our other car.

I find the Britax to be severely lacking in legroom. It's annoying to get my petite two year old in rear-facing. They are also quite narrow on the inside which could be annoying with a wider child. My favourites are the Diono convertibles, the Clek Fllo, and Peg Perego Convertible. They all provide more room for the child, especially leg room.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

That's good to know about the Britax seats. I remember leg space being in short supply with my son, but seven years ago that was the best that it got.

What about the Maxi Cosi Pria 85? Is that something I should look into as well?

CPS Fanatic

What are your rear facing goals? The Pria has great leg room, and a 45 pound rear facing weight limit, but a 40" standing height limit.

I'm a big fan of the Graco Milestone, and I'm crossing my fingers that the Extend2Fit coming in January will be everything I love about the Milestone plus a 50 lb rear facing weight limit plus a neat leg room feature minus the booster capability.

I would say for sure 2, and probably not past 3, with the in-between being desirable. I looked at his older brothers stats (so far they have been similar height wise) and he was 38" tall at 2 and 41" at 3. So maybe the maxi cosi isn't the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    What are your rear facing goals? The Pria has great leg room, and a 45 pound rear facing weight limit, but a 40" standing height limit.

This is the second time I have seen someone on here refer to the Pria as having a 45 lb RF limit, but everything I can find says 40 lbs RF. (ex: http://www.maxi-cosi.com/us-en/car-seats/pria-85.aspx) Is there an update I am missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

CPS Fanatic

I would swear I read it in a carseatblog.com post, but I can't find it, either. I think someone must have gotten it confused with the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio somewhere along the way.

11. Thank You from:

Does anyone have a strong opinion between the NextFit and the Primo Viaggio? Those both seem like they'll serve us well.

Is the Zip worth it on the Nextfit?

The NextFit will last much longer heightwise for rear-facing.

14. Thank You from:

And there's my answer. Thank you so much. Now to hunt for a deal on the Nextfit.

Good luck! I've been waiting for the NextFit to come to Canada, but so far it's not here . Otherwise I'm guessing I would add that one to my favourites as well.

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by lgsara View Post
    And there's my answer. Thank you so much. Now to hunt for a deal on the Nextfit.
    I've purchased the nextfit on AlbeeBaby.com with a 20% coupon code. I'm sure the new code is: NOV20 (I just checked, it works). This site doesn't charge for tax or shipping so the savings are great! And this site does have the zip too.

I have both the regular & zip covers. I'd say if your kid gets sick a lot or is potty training then the zip would be a plus for you. But if you're passed that stage then the regular cover is good. I like the extra comfort padding in the CX & Zip models b/c I could put my DD in shorts or just a onesie without worrying about the harness burning her while tightening. But I would suggest to have an extra cover whether that be another zip or even a regular cover to use while one is being washed & hung dry. We are an on the go family so having that extra cover was life-saving lol
    Nolan is expected to arrive on Sept 6, 2017 <3

Carseat Crazy
    I just saw on the shopping board that the nextfit is on sale on amazon for $209 at checkout.
    Nolan is expected to arrive on Sept 6, 2017 <3