Convertible for Larger Infant? in 13 Hyundai Sonata

lgsara

Hi,
We have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, and we're in need of a convertible seat that will allow our large infant (20 lbs and 27 inches at 4 months, with most of that height in his torso). We also have an 8 year old who is currently in a Britax Frontier in booster mode, so this seat will be installed outbound.

My first inclination is to go with a Britax Boulevard, because that's what worked with my older son, but I know the car seat world has changed a lot since then. I'm in search of a seat that will allow us to rear-face to 2 years old at a minimum (longer would be fantastic) and is easy to use with straps that don't have a tendency to twist all of the time, buckles that are easy to use, not a pain to get a good install, etc.

I'm curious to hear of everyone's suggestions for a seat. If you've had an experience installing in a Sonata, that's a bonus. :)

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Britax Boulevard would be a good option -- those manufactured after 11/2014 can now be used rear-facing until the child's head is less than 1" inch from the top of the fully-extended headrest, rather than just from the top of the shell. So you would get more height room than before. For a seat that will last even longer FF, you could try the Clicktight convertibles, but whether you would really need that depends on how long you have before your Frontier expires. I find the Clicktight convertibles heavy and awkward and prefer the g4.1 Britax convertibles, now that they can be used longer RF by height.

Other seats that are easy to install and don't take up a ton of room:

Nextfit
Milestone
Potentially the new Graco Extend2Fit (not out until Jan, so it depends on how long you have before you need it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgsara

We're currently in A B-Safe 35, which we're not outgrowing by height or weight yet, but shoulder width is lacking severely.

The Frontiers that we have in our cars are manufactured in 9/2010 and 7/2012. We have a Boulevard that we got from a friend (who I trust with car seat treatment) that will give us another year or so before we'd need a second convertible seat in our other car.

featherhead

I find the Britax to be severely lacking in legroom. It's annoying to get my petite two year old in rear-facing. They are also quite narrow on the inside which could be annoying with a wider child. My favourites are the Diono convertibles, the Clek Fllo, and Peg Perego Convertible. They all provide more room for the child, especially leg room.

lgsara

That's good to know about the Britax seats. I remember leg space being in short supply with my son, but seven years ago that was the best that it got.

What about the Maxi Cosi Pria 85? Is that something I should look into as well?

lgenne

What are your rear facing goals? The Pria has great leg room, and a 45 pound rear facing weight limit, but a 40" standing height limit.

I'm a big fan of the Graco Milestone, and I'm crossing my fingers that the Extend2Fit coming in January will be everything I love about the Milestone plus a 50 lb rear facing weight limit plus a neat leg room feature minus the booster capability.

lgsara

I would say for sure 2, and probably not past 3, with the in-between being desirable. I looked at his older brothers stats (so far they have been similar height wise) and he was 38" tall at 2 and 41" at 3. So maybe the maxi cosi isn't the way to go.

lgenne

I would swear I read it in a carseatblog.com post, but I can't find it, either. I think someone must have gotten it confused with the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio somewhere along the way.

lgsara

Does anyone have a strong opinion between the NextFit and the Primo Viaggio? Those both seem like they'll serve us well.

Is the Zip worth it on the Nextfit?

featherhead

Good luck! I've been waiting for the NextFit to come to Canada, but so far it's not here :(. Otherwise I'm guessing I would add that one to my favourites as well.

lilti9er

And there's my answer. Thank you so much. Now to hunt for a deal on the Nextfit. :)

I've purchased the nextfit on AlbeeBaby.com with a 20% coupon code. I'm sure the new code is: NOV20 (I just checked, it works). This site doesn't charge for tax or shipping so the savings are great! And this site does have the zip too.

I have both the regular & zip covers. I'd say if your kid gets sick a lot or is potty training then the zip would be a plus for you. But if you're passed that stage then the regular cover is good. I like the extra comfort padding in the CX & Zip models b/c I could put my DD in shorts or just a onesie without worrying about the harness burning her while tightening. But I would suggest to have an extra cover whether that be another zip or even a regular cover to use while one is being washed & hung dry. We are an on the go family so having that extra cover was life-saving lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC