Looking for advice

brooksfamily

We were recently in an accident and our car is totaled. We are looking to buy a used car. Our budget is $10,000 - $12,000. First priority is safety. Currently we have 1, 2.5 year old and a 70 lb. lab, however we hope to have another child within the next year. Our primary family car is a Honda Pilot. This secondary vehicle would be the one I drive to work and transport my dd to daycare in daily.

Ideally, I'd like something with a big enough back seat to accommodate 2 car seats and fit one of my 5 stepping, slender nieces/nephews. Car seats would most likely be chicco key fit and a Pria 85... However, our pria was in the accident and hasn't been replaced yet, so we could replace with a more slender convertible if necessary. Then additionally, i,d like a hatchback type trunk big enough that the dog could ride back there.

I'm thinking used outback, or some other small to mid size SUV or crossover.

Right now our rental is a Nissan rouge and the trunk is definitely not big enough.

I'm afraid though that I may have champagne taste on a beer budget.

Essentially, I would like a safe car that covers these two emergency scenarios:

1. I have 2 kids and need to get the dog to the vet
2. I have 2 kids and need to get my 10 year old niece or 11 year old nephew from school last minute and want to have a safe place for her/him to sit.

I'm open to all suggestions. TIA

ADS

kathysr98

What is your limit on mileage?

Do you have any brand preferences? Any brands you won't buy?

Is gas mileage a concern? If so, what are you looking for?

brooksfamily

I know my mechanic does not like GMC, he says they are hard to repair. Other than that I have no brand preference. 2.5 year old is rf and I plan to keep her rf until 4.

brooksfamily

Good gas mileage would be nice but the car that I was driving before and totaled was a 2004 Jeep Liberty, so not exactly economical on gas. I'm driving 5 miles in the car M - F on a 2 lane road where the speed limit ranges from 35-45, and then the off times we need 2 cars for something.

We'd prefer not to go further back than 2009, if possible and under 80,000 miles.

kathysr98

What about a Ford Edge? I'm seeing 2007s with about 50k miles for about $12k in my area. Posted via Mobile Device

I think an Edge would be a good option. My mom has a 2010 currently and has a 2016 ordered. Their 50-60 lb dog fits in the cargo area with plenty of room to spare, and I'm sure would fit on the backseat with a single carseat. Two seats of any variety will fit, and my friend has put my dd in a Bubble Bum between her two kids who were in a Radian and a HBB of some sort. The Escape would also be a good option, although a bit smaller. A Focus would also work, but you would have to be picky about seats if you had two RF at the same time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC