Seat for front of Ford Transit van?

U

Unregistered

My mom has to help me with the kids sometimes, but she drives a delivery van. Its a 2010 Ford Transit Connect with just the driver and front passenger seats.

He has been in the scenera until now and I think he has outgrown the top slots. He is 3 and weighs 32 pounds and is 40 inches.

As far as I know the vehicle does not have latch or a top tether. If it has a top tether then we have been unable to find it.

I want to keep him in a harness and get something that is as safe as it can be, while being lightweight and easy to install. As the seat is taken out frequently.

She is working on getting a different vehicle, but it may be March before that happens.

What can you recommend? Cheaper would be better, but I want to make sure that he has the protection he needs.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS
U

Unregistered

Correction, the seat is the Apt not Scenera
Posted via Mobile Device

1mommy

Evenflo Maestro (but the booster part is short lived.). But harness height is decent and it harnesses to 50 pounds. It's also low profile and lightweight and in expensive. My husband has the same van I think and it installed pretty easy in it. Btw for the record - never install a rear facing seat there as the airbag can't be turned off, and it's not ideal to have him in there because there is no top tether, so personally I would (and do) limit the amount of time he spends in the seat to only when it is absolutely necessary.

lgenne

The Evenflo Sureride might be a good choice, too. It doesn't become a booster later, but it has really tall top harness slots, so it may be usable even longer. If you have any smaller kids, now or in the future, it can also be used rear facing. (But not in this vehicle, obviously.)

U

Unregistered

Are there any seats that maybe use the shoulder strap part of the seatbelt for added help, since there is no top tether?

aporthole

The Transit Connect cargo van (2 seater) has a tether anchor for the front passenger seat. It should be on the back of the seat.

Like the others mentioned, the Evenflo Maestro would be very good. The booster function is rarely usable once the harness is outgrown but makes a very good lightweight harnessed seat with nice top height and a 50 lb harness capacity. The SureRide is also very good and light weight with even taller top harness height and a 65 lb harness capacity. The new Graco Tranzitions is also a good one to check out if you are comfortable spending a little more. It is currently $109 (normally $129) and only sold at Babies/Toys R Us. 65 lb harness limit and then converts to a good high back then backless booster.

U

Unregistered

Thanks. I'll feel around on the back of the seat for the top tether and look at the seats mentioned. We will not need the convertible option and I'm OK with it not making a good booster.

Most important is it fits him and is easy to install.
Posted via Mobile Device

U

Unregistered

I purchased the maestro seat and had some big installation issues.

Is this a known problem or is it just me. I did not get a good install in her car or in my own with the seatbelt. The seatbelt kept folding over itself and then when I tested it the seat turned toward the seatbelt buckle.

Might be it would need a locking clip instead of the locking shoulder belt?

For now I've put the seat from my car in hers and this one in mine using latch.
Posted via Mobile Device

aporthole

I purchased the maestro seat and had some big installation issues.

Is this a known problem or is it just me. I did not get a good install in her car or in my own with the seatbelt. The seatbelt kept folding over itself and then when I tested it the seat turned toward the seatbelt buckle.

Might be it would need a locking clip instead of the locking shoulder belt?

For now I've put the seat from my car in hers and this one in mine using latch.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Maestro is generally an easy install if you know the tricks. Pulling back the cover on the buckle side so you can tighten from inside the belt path is very helpful.

Have you tried searching for an experienced CPST near you to help walk you through the install?

1mommy

FYI- I had to reinstall his seat today because daddy undid it for some strange reason but I found the tether anchor!!! It was all the down at the bottom of the back of the seat not in the middle of the back like I thought where it would be. The tether was just barely long enough to fit, but it just made me so excited that it had one... Lol. Now I feel a lot better about allowing him to ride with Daddy occasionally.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC