Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Seat for front of Ford Transit van?

My mom has to help me with the kids sometimes, but she drives a delivery van. Its a 2010 Ford Transit Connect with just the driver and front passenger seats.

He has been in the scenera until now and I think he has outgrown the top slots. He is 3 and weighs 32 pounds and is 40 inches.

As far as I know the vehicle does not have latch or a top tether. If it has a top tether then we have been unable to find it.

I want to keep him in a harness and get something that is as safe as it can be, while being lightweight and easy to install. As the seat is taken out frequently.

She is working on getting a different vehicle, but it may be March before that happens.

What can you recommend? Cheaper would be better, but I want to make sure that he has the protection he needs.

Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Unregistered
    Correction, the seat is the Apt not Scenera
    Posted via Mobile Device

Evenflo Maestro (but the booster part is short lived.). But harness height is decent and it harnesses to 50 pounds. It's also low profile and lightweight and in expensive. My husband has the same van I think and it installed pretty easy in it. Btw for the record - never install a rear facing seat there as the airbag can't be turned off, and it's not ideal to have him in there because there is no top tether, so personally I would (and do) limit the amount of time he spends in the seat to only when it is absolutely necessary.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

CPS Fanatic

Re: Seat for front of Ford Transit van?

The Evenflo Sureride might be a good choice, too. It doesn't become a booster later, but it has really tall top harness slots, so it may be usable even longer. If you have any smaller kids, now or in the future, it can also be used rear facing. (But not in this vehicle, obviously.)

Unregistered

Re: Seat for front of Ford Transit van?

Are there any seats that maybe use the shoulder strap part of the seatbelt for added help, since there is no top tether?

CPS Technician
    The Transit Connect cargo van (2 seater) has a tether anchor for the front passenger seat. It should be on the back of the seat.

Like the others mentioned, the Evenflo Maestro would be very good. The booster function is rarely usable once the harness is outgrown but makes a very good lightweight harnessed seat with nice top height and a 50 lb harness capacity. The SureRide is also very good and light weight with even taller top harness height and a 65 lb harness capacity. The new Graco Tranzitions is also a good one to check out if you are comfortable spending a little more. It is currently $109 (normally $129) and only sold at Babies/Toys R Us. 65 lb harness limit and then converts to a good high back then backless booster.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

Unregistered
    Thanks. I'll feel around on the back of the seat for the top tether and look at the seats mentioned. We will not need the convertible option and I'm OK with it not making a good booster.

Most important is it fits him and is easy to install.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Unregistered
    I purchased the maestro seat and had some big installation issues.

Is this a known problem or is it just me. I did not get a good install in her car or in my own with the seatbelt. The seatbelt kept folding over itself and then when I tested it the seat turned toward the seatbelt buckle.

Might be it would need a locking clip instead of the locking shoulder belt?

For now I've put the seat from my car in hers and this one in mine using latch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

CPS Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I purchased the maestro seat and had some big installation issues.

Is this a known problem or is it just me. I did not get a good install in her car or in my own with the seatbelt. The seatbelt kept folding over itself and then when I tested it the seat turned toward the seatbelt buckle.

Might be it would need a locking clip instead of the locking shoulder belt?

For now I've put the seat from my car in hers and this one in mine using latch.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The Maestro is generally an easy install if you know the tricks. Pulling back the cover on the buckle side so you can tighten from inside the belt path is very helpful.

Have you tried searching for an experienced CPST near you to help walk you through the install?
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

FYI- I had to reinstall his seat today because daddy undid it for some strange reason but I found the tether anchor!!! It was all the down at the bottom of the back of the seat not in the middle of the back like I thought where it would be. The tether was just barely long enough to fit, but it just made me so excited that it had one... Lol. Now I feel a lot better about allowing him to ride with Daddy occasionally.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria