Light convertible RF seat for travel with easy installation using seatbelts only

U

Unregistered

Title says it all!

I'm looking for a convertible car seat for travel (to be used on the airplane in an economy seat, rental cars and taxis), that is lightweight, allows rear facing, and is easiest to install with seatbelts, without having to use latch or any extras like pool noodles or towels. Cheap would be good, as we already have a Clek seat which is great but is impossible to travel with.

ADS

Keeanh

Yes, the NEXT is probably what you want :) It's basically a rear-facing-only seat, since forward-facing is outgrown before rear-facing. It lasts to 40", 40lbs, or head at the top of the shell (approximately 23" bum-to-head), whichever comes first.

I think there's an error in that mini-review linked above. It says 1" below the top of the shell, but I'm quite sure the limit is actually *to* the top of the shell.

U

Unregistered

Yes, I suspected the Cosco Scenera NEXT (exclusive at Walmart?) might be the recommended seat, but I wasn't sure if it was easy to install in taxis in other countries without latch and a towel. Also, it should fit easily on the airplane seat (FF is OK for this), so that I don't have to buy the CARES harness as well. My 2.5 yr old daughter is tiny, just 24lbs and about 34in . I'd be happy if I could spend $50 for this seat and it worked for the trip, and for another year in grandma's car!

rin2809

I would say the Scenera Next or possibly the Evenfo SureRide depending on the size of the kiddo(s) that you need to fit in the seat.

lgenne

You'll need a locking clip to use it in Europe (it doesn't come with one) but it does install easily without pool noodles or rolled towels. You can grab one off another seat or buy one for a few dollars.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes, I suspected the Cosco Scenera NEXT (exclusive at Walmart?) might be the recommended seat, but I wasn't sure if it was easy to install in taxis in other countries without latch and a towel. Also, it should fit easily on the airplane seat (FF is OK for this), so that I don't have to buy the CARES harness as well. My 2.5 yr old daughter is tiny, just 24lbs and about 34in . I'd be happy if I could spend $50 for this seat and it worked for the trip, and for another year in grandma's car!

The Scenera NEXT will probably fit the bill. With regard to travel in other countries, though, you will need to make sure to bring a locking clip if you aren't sure whether/how the seatbelts lock I the vehicle you will be installing in.

If you want to avoid worrying about a locking clip, my daughter is about the same size as yours and will likely be able to rear-face until 4 in her Britax Roundabout. It is usually $136-150 or so. Much more expensive than the Scenera Next, but it has easy to use lock-offs and I've flown with it before without any trouble. I think it is about 17-18 lbs, which isn't too lightweight, but lighter than your Clek for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

Unregistered

Seems like the Scenera NEXT would fit the bill. I would need to get locking clips, any idea which ones to get and where? Prefer Amazon. The rental cars where I'm going only have lap belts..

rin2809

Seems like the Scenera NEXT would fit the bill. I would need to get locking clips, any idea which ones to get and where? Prefer Amazon. The rental cars where I'm going only have lap belts..

I would check any of your existing seats to see if there is a locking clip attached to them somewhere. I know most of the seats I have purchased (Graco, Evenflo for sure) have come with one stuck somewhere on the seat. They are interchangeable, so it would save you from buying/shipping.

seb3244

Yes, the NEXT is probably what you want :) It's basically a rear-facing-only seat, since forward-facing is outgrown before rear-facing. It lasts to 40", 40lbs, or head at the top of the shell (approximately 23" bum-to-head), whichever comes first. I think there's an error in that mini-review linked above. It says 1" below the top of the shell, but I'm quite sure the limit is actually *to* the top of the shell.

How is it that rear facing is outgrown before forward facing?

meljc

Just a heads up, in the last few years we've been pleasantly surprised at how many cars in Europe now have locking belts! And every rental car we've encountered has lower anchors as well. Bring the locking clip, but check your other options first :dance:

(Regarding the NEXT, I sort of hate it. Sorry. The leg room is very tight for my 38" DS and I find the harness difficult to tighten/loosen. But it fits the bill for travel so we'll keep it around for DD. I would note like to use it on a daily basis.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC