Car accident - what next? - Canada

sunflower

We are all fine Thank G-d. It was definitely a miracle. DH, my 3 month old, and I were in the van. We were standing with a few car in front of us, as the light was red, and a huge truck from the city was driving into our lane - he just came off the highway, and did not see us.
With regards to car seats: Do we need to change them? The police man said it isn't a high velocity accident.

We currently had installed: Foonf FF, True Fit - which I really like RF, and Snugride with base, Parkway SGL.

Last edited:
ADS

sunflower

Just spoke to Allstate - they need pics of the seats that were in the car, and will pay what it's worth today. I did not have to convince... I need to send a description of the seat and how much it costs. I'll go to BRU, and another local retailer to see what they have. What do I write about the True Fit, since it is no longer in production today?

Which Infant seat is most recommended today? 3 months old, 10 lbs., petite. I don't mind adding another few $$ over the Graco - I did not like that seat.

Which booster should I get to replace the Parkway, or should I get it again? I would like to get the seats before the kids come home from school.

Thanks again.

Car seat shopping advenure!

Keeanh

Which TrueFit was it? With anti-rebound bar, or without? I would send them a picture of the TrueFit along with an Amazon or TRU listing for a similar seat in the same price range and just say "This is a comparable seat". OR if you've decided which seat you want to replace it with, you could send them a copy of the invoice / receipt, again saying this is the most similar seat you can find in stores today (doesn't matter if that's actually true LOL).

I like the Parkway. I would get it again.

For the 3mo, do you want another infant seat, or would you rather just go to a convertible?

Which Snugride was it? (Judging price range) How long do you want the infant seat to last? Are you trying to get it in a 3-across?

sunflower

Regular True fit, and there are few comfortable RF car seats in that price range. What do you recommend? I'm looking up to $250. (The Symphony Elite seems quite wide, but will be in a captain's chair) The SureRide DLX is an option, but get mixed reviews. Scenera NEXT?

I don't love infant seats, but with the Dodge GC, that's what fits best for my 3 month old. We had the simple Snugride, and I don't want a snugride again, and I see the Safety 1st Onboard air is only $20 more, so either that, or the KF that is on sale at Snugglebugz. Does that KF cause a lot of sweating, like some of their fabrics do? http://www.snugglebugz.ca/chicco-keyfit.html#18846 (My kids hit 22 lbs. at 2+ yrs. old!)

Thanks again.

Last edited:

sunflower

Update: After spending hours on the computer yesterday and going to 3 local stores: Walmart, Babies R Us, and Trendy Strollers - a boutique, we got:

Locally: Foonf with a DOM of 10/30! It was only 5 days since production!!!! That's 5 days including shipping time from the manufacturer to Montreal. And I got The Parkway SGL with a Jan. 30 DOM - 9 months!

At Snugglebugz: the Keyfit that's on sale, and the Roundabout. Besides for the Parkway, this is my first Britax. Very few retailers even carry the Roundabout, I only found it at 11:00 pm. She weighs 21 lbs. at 2.5 years old!

I emailed the receipts with descriptions of what my past seats were, the new seats purchased, and I included links to a few more retailers for each seat, for them to see that this is the going price for each seat, and that I didn't get seats that are more expensive than what the original ones were. The adjuster already responded, that she's mailing out the check today, so that was quite smooth! 4 seats: $1,291.77. They weren't this expensive when I bought them several years ago.

Last edited:

seb3244

Yay for it going smoothly that's awesome! And so glad you all were not hurt! What a little peanut you have a 10lbs at 3 months oh and your other peanut at 21.5lbs at 2.5! So tiny and so cute! My 16 month old is 27lbs lol and she is barely chubby & and only in the 80% percentile on the growth chart.

Since you had your tiny baby with you did you take her to the hospital to get checked out after the accident? I am just wondering because I always feel better to be safe than sorry and since babies can't talk maybe they can't tell you they hurt?? I don't know what I would do in that situation which is why I am curious as to what you did.

$1200 ish in 4 seats is a lot! Thankfully you got the ones you wanted. I hope your vehicle isn't too smashed.

sunflower

Yay for it going smoothly that's awesome! And so glad you all were not hurt! What a little peanut you have a 10lbs at 3 months oh and your other peanut at 21.5lbs at 2.5! So tiny and so cute! My 16 month old is 27lbs lol and she is barely chubby & and only in the 80% percentile on the growth chart.

Since you had your tiny baby with you did you take her to the hospital to get checked out after the accident? I am just wondering because I always feel better to be safe than sorry and since babies can't talk maybe they can't tell you they hurt?? I don't know what I would do in that situation which is why I am curious as to what you did.

$1200 ish in 4 seats is a lot! Thankfully you got the ones you wanted. I hope your vehicle isn't too smashed.

My kids grow slowly, and DH and I are both short. So no big genes here. But we do go for weight checks every 2 weeks at the Nursing clinic.

Most of my seats were originally bought on sale, so they cost me a lot less than the replacement price. But none were on sale now.

I am going to the osteo next week, so we'll check baby as well. It was a small bump we felt, and we didn't move back and forth like in most accidents, and it was not on baby's side. The car was not totalled. If the wheel hadn't gotten a hole in it, we wouldn't have towed it, but driven to the shop alone. The Driver's door and hood got dented, but we were able to open the door regular.

sunflower

All the new seats are installed! Yay! I got the Silverlake for the Roundabout, thinking it would be a softer fabric - but it's feels a bit plasticy. It is nicely padded though! DD was so excited to sit in it, and it was a quick and easy install. I'm starting to understand the Britax fans. Less than 2 months from production.

The Keyfit was also smooth to install. It's a bit heavier than the Snugride, but fits my baby so much better with the insert, and I wear him when going out of the car. It's 1 yr. 4 months from production - but it was on sale. The store told me though that it would be maximum 1yr. old.

The Foonf is likewise soft - more comfortable than the original black fabric we had (non Crypton). My DS is really happy with it. And fresh off the shelf - that's the best part!

The Parkway fabric is also softer than the original we has.

Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC