Lightweight spare seat & gate checking

#1babysitter

I am wanting to get my daughter a spare car seat to have on hand for when something happens to her normal seat. We are also flying in December so I would like something lightweight and cheaper so if it gets damaged it's not a huge deal. I am NOT buying her a seat on the plane as she will not even be 1 yet so I will be gate checking the seat. I know it's not ideal but I don't have the money to buy her a seat when she's free. Was just thinking a Scenera but am concerned with ease of install as we will be renting a car so being able to get a good solid install easily is important. How is the Cosco Scenera NEXT compared to the regular Scenera? Any other recommendations?

My daughter is currently 10 months, 19 lbs, and 27.75"

ADS

Bebe

BUMP this thread to Moderators and Ambassadors. To OP, there are many pros and cons to buying another airplane seat for baby, and from what I've seen on this blog is that lap-sitting is a big con, please consider buying a second seat and bringing a Cosco Scenera Next for that seat, so you don't have a constantly fussy/squirmy/wiggly 10month old on your lap for the whole flight. It will be worth the investment.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have personal experience, but I know that the Scenara Next is considered much easier to install than the original Scenara. Sounds like a good option in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

The Scenera NEXT is great!

I'm going to come out as a non-ticket purchaser for infants. My babies have all flown in my lap, and been very happy there. I've never done very long flights, but I think a lap infant feels less crowded than the average adult in coach.

The biggest worry is that there be a car seat available on the other end that hasn't been mishandled. I arrange to have one at the other end. The first time, I made the mistake of letting my MIL be in charge of grabbing one (with what I thought were clear instructions), only to discover that she had gotten a FF only seat for my 8 month old. So my advice is:

1) Try to avoid hauling the car seat with you, but be really sure you've got something good at your destination.
2) if that's not an option, gate check the car seat in its box.

#1babysitter

The Scenera NEXT is great!

I'm going to come out as a non-ticket purchaser for infants. My babies have all flown in my lap, and been very happy there. I've never done very long flights, but I think a lap infant feels less crowded than the average adult in coach.

The biggest worry is that there be a car seat available on the other end that hasn't been mishandled. I arrange to have one at the other end. The first time, I made the mistake of letting my MIL be in charge of grabbing one (with what I thought were clear instructions), only to discover that she had gotten a FF only seat for my 8 month old. So my advice is:

1) Try to avoid hauling the car seat with you, but be really sure you've got something good at your destination.
2) if that's not an option, gate check the car seat in its box.

Gate checking is the way I'm going to have to go. I am definitely not relying on a rental car agency to have a proper seat of her and I won't have someone meeting me at the airport as I'm renting a car there.

#1babysitter

BUMP this thread to Moderators and Ambassadors. To OP, there are many pros and cons to buying another airplane seat for baby, and from what I've seen on this blog is that lap-sitting is a big con, please consider buying a second seat and bringing a Cosco Scenera Next for that seat, so you don't have a constantly fussy/squirmy/wiggly 10month old on your lap for the whole flight. It will be worth the investment.

I completely understand how it is a lot safer for her to have her own seat and trust me I am dreading having to wear her the entire flight because I know she will get squirmy but we are flying before Christmas at a very busy and expensive time and I do not have an extra $500+ laying around to buy her a seat. That's just not feasible for some.

#1babysitter

What do you all think about the Safety First Onside Air? I know it's just a padded Scenera but it has a lot taller top slots than the NEXT and so would last us longer. Also I want her to be nice a comfy during the trip as she is used to a very padded and comfy Diono Rainer!

lgenne

The Onside Air will last longer forward facing, but the Scenera NEXT lasts longer rear facing. It's also much easier to install rear facing, takes up less front to back space, etc. I wish there were a more cushy version of the NEXT rather than the Comfy Convertible (nicer Apt just introduced at ABC Kids).

katymyers

What about an APT 50? It'll last longer than the Scenera and the Scenera NEXT and it's still super cheap, lightweight, and easy to install rear facing. I also really like the new bright colors it comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
OP, your stated plan to babywear the entire flight isn't compatible with flight regulations, either, because babywearing isn't allowed during takeoff, landing, and any other times except at cruising altitude.:eek:

MelodyoftheForest

The Onside Air will last longer forward facing, but the Scenera NEXT lasts longer rear facing. It's also much easier to install rear facing, takes up less front to back space, etc. I wish there were a more cushy version of the NEXT rather than the Comfy Convertible (nicer Apt just introduced at ABC Kids).

I just wanted to add, for others like me searching about the Onside Air, that it has the same RF limits as the Next, 40" or 40lbs. The original Scenera is lower at 35lbs and 36" or 37".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC