Booster Question

flick37

Hi,

My daughter is turning 9 tomorrow. She has been using a no-back booster for a few months, since outgrowing her HBB.
She is 54 inches (4'5") and 72lbs (last time we weighed, which was a month or so ago).
We live in BC.

She has her heart set about not using her booster as of tomorrow. I am pretty sure the BC booster recommendation is 9 years or 4'9", whichever comes first.
Well, the 9 years came first, so would you recommend I allow her to go booster free?

Thanks!

ADS

flick37

Thank you for the link. I knew there must be some sort of guideline. I am living with a DH who doesn't take these things as seriously as I do, and has put it into her head that she can go without a booster as soon as she turns 9. :)mad:) It has been a constant struggle with him, until he gets it, and then the next milestone, he reverts back to the same frustrating ways.
Anyway, she is in bed crying now because she knows I probably won't let her "throw out her booster" as she likes to say. Sigh.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Is the Incognito available in Canada yet? I am seeing it on Amazon.ca , but it's listed for some weird prices and so I am not sure if it's actually approved for use there yet or just being sold by third parties from the U.S.

If it is, it sounds like it would be perfect for her -- she fits within the weight and height requirements and she certainly seems to be wanting a more grown-up seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
hmmm...can't seem to find it in Canada... maybe soon?

:-( sorry, I wouldn't promise anything...these things tend to take a long time and not have definitive dates...

Another idea is to try her in a few different seating positions in your car. If by chance she does 5-step in one of them, then your problem is solved (at least in that vehicle). If she doesn't, then it would be a good opportunity to show her why it would be unsafe to give up the booster just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flick37

I found another thread where they said it should be soon, so here's hoping!
DD was fine this morning and used her booster like it was any other day, so hopefully, she is over the devastation she felt last night!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Would it help to know that BC requires that the seat belt be worn properly? And the chances of her being able to wear it properly, at her height, are slim. You know, if the whole safety aspect doesn't quite cut it. :eek:

From the Motor Vehicle Act, Seat Belt Assemblies 220 (4) and (10)
(4) A person in a motor vehicle being driven or operated on a highway must, if the motor vehicle has properly attached to it a seat belt assembly for the seating position occupied by that person, wear the complete seat belt assembly in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner.

(10) A person who contravenes this section commits an offence.

Keeanh

Where abouts in BC are you? If you're close to the border, I would get an Incognito. You have to "smuggle" it across the border (I cut the tags off mine and had people sit on them while crossing). But as for using it in Canada, I'm satisfied that it's legal with kids 9+ because the child restraint law doesn't apply to them.

Would it help to know that BC requires that the seat belt be worn properly? And the chances of her being able to wear it properly, at her height, are slim. You know, if the whole safety aspect doesn't quite cut it. :eek:

From the Motor Vehicle Act, Seat Belt Assemblies 220 (4) and (10)

Thanks for digging that up. I love that the "properly adjusted" line is in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC