Question 2001 Lincoln Navigator

Momx5

We just bought a "new to us" Navigator. It's an old lady (2001) so it does not have seat anchors and I'm not even sure if it has the top tether anchors. I have several questions...

First, I have my 5yo FF in a Radian that I currently have behind the driver's side in our van (van is being sold and we will be using the Navigator as our main transportation) so it will most likely go in the same spot in the Navigator. I am ok with using just the seat belt, but I want to say I read somewhere that there is an option to retrofit LATCH in older vehicles? I googled and didn't come up with much so if anyone knows, please leave me a message :)

Second, the back seat is a bench seat. The back height of the bench seat is lower than newer seats so I am not sure I should be using a high back booster if the top of the booster goes up over the back of the bench seat height. Yay or nay on that? I have my 9yo in a Recaro hbb in the van in the "way back" so she will most likely stay in the same spot in the Navigator as well. She sat in the seat the other day when the kids were "testing out the 'new' car" and buckled herself in. The regular seat belt was actually a great fit because it is lower due to the back of the seat being lower. However, her head is still above the back seat. Is the high back booster a better alternative than no booster at all because of the lack of head support?

This vehicle is a temporary situation until we purchase our home (had to get rid of the big car payments to help get the loan). I've never had to deal with car seats in an older vehicle so any guidance would be awesome! Thank you!! I can take pictures if its easier.

ADS

DogznKatz

The 2001 Navigator has 3 TA in the 2nd row and 1 TA in the center of the third row. You also have a tether anchor point (needs hardware) on the front passenger seat.

The TA's are webbing loops on the backs of the seats.

The LATCH Manual does give a part number of F75Z8613D7-AA. Check your owner's Manual. Could be you can add them to the outboard 3rd row.

In the meantime, I would try to put booster or RF kids in the outboard 3rd row. I am a big proponent for top tether use with forward harnessed seats.

A HBB should be used if possible if they don't have a head support. The tips of her ears are at the top of the vehicle seat, then HBB if possible.

Momx5

Thank you so much! No more RF ages for us - my "baby" is now 5 :( lol

9yo is in HBB. She's small for her age - only right at 50lbs so she will be in a booster for a while yet.

This Navigator has 2 captains chairs in the middle row. I'm going to run out and take some pictures really quick to see if I'm looking at the right places.

Thanks again!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The 2001 Navigator has 3 TA in the 2nd row and 1 TA in the center of the third row. You also have a tether anchor point (needs hardware) on the front passenger seat.

The TA's are webbing loops on the backs of the seats.

The LATCH Manual does give a part number of F75Z8613D7-AA. Check your owner's Manual. Could be you can add them to the outboard 3rd row.
That Ford top tether anchor retrofit part number listed is specifically for retrofitting the front passenger seat with a top tether anchor, not for retrofitting the third row outboard spots which are not listed as retrofittable, unfortunately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC