Alpha Omega Elite... What am I in for?

rin2809

Any advice on handing the pitfalls of the Alpha Omega Elite rear facing install? I am assuming that there will be a towel/pool noodle involved. Anything else you have run into during checks.

I have some friends who asked me to help take a look at the install they did on the seat because it's not as tight as I was able to install their infant seat. I'm not a tech, and recommend that they get it checked after, but since they ask, I am more than willing to go give them a hand! I love them to death, but wish they would ask my advice before purchasing the seat as I have heard this one isn't a favorite and has some issues (their infant seat was a Flex-Loc that wasn't a picnic either).

They have an early 2000s Ford Taurus Wagon with aftermarket LATCH installed and an early 2000s Ford Contour. I am not sure which vehicle the seat is being installed in. Their daughter is 7 months and very chunky, so hoping that she has reached the 22lb and sits unassisted so we can install a bit more upright.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmmm...no such thing as aftermarket LATCH in a Taurus (only a few VW's back then offered it in 1999), makes me wonder what's going on back there (maybe it's a 2001? Some cars had lower anchors that far back, I think, or 2002 when it was required). Top tether added for FF, that's a definite possibility, of course.
But yeah, a noodle might keep things nice and flat and even. I usually need to pull the cover up so I can get the belt tightened properly (pulling the shoulderbelt/lapbelt's tail/LATCH tail into the belt path, rather than pulling out/forward/away from the seat), while pushing down in the seat or in the lower back to get the right recline. Be sure to check the model and weight limits and level lines, and advise them to not use it as a booster. If it's the Costco model, it's really short with really low limits, but if it's one of the better models with the taller back, it's more reasonable, fairly tallish, decent legroom.

rin2809

Maybe the LATCH really was stock added, it just seemed like it wasn't as deep into the seat as my parent's 2010 Taurus, so I assumed it wasn't stock. Also didn't know that the dealer added option is only for tethers and not for the lower anchors (learned something new today).

Thank you for the advice on the cover, that is likely what needs to happen to get things nice and tight for them. Haven't installed a convertible RF in awhile and I am 7 months pregnant, it's going to be an adventure!

I am assuming it is the Costco model since they are members, and they told me that it goes to 50lb FF. So I have a feeling it is going to be outgrown fairly quickly since she is a pretty big baby! I think that their Taurus would actually have the space for a SureRide to fit back there nicely, but I think we are probably past the point where I make that recommendation and they return the seat since they have installed it and I am assuming removed the tags.

1mommy

Keep in mind Costco has an awesome return policy so mention that it's a good possibility they will let her return it.

rin2809

Well, install went right about on par with what I was expecting. Turns out they bought two of the exact same seats so we installed on in each vehicle. They had also had an upgrade since I helped with infant seats, so we did the install center in both the Taurus wagon and a Focus. Thankfully kiddo was over the 22lb mark and sitting like a champ, so using the more upright angle, front/back space wasn't an issue. Definitely needed a towel for recline even still though. And with two grown adults pushing on the seat and pulling up on the belt, getting a tight install wasn't easy (though removing the cover was a huge help)!

Thank you all for the advice, it's always nice to walk away knowing I helped them get things much safer than they were installed when I got there!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC