Belly shield

seb3244

I just saw this on Instagram and was wondering anyone's thoughts.

I used a maternity seat belt with my 1st pregnancy and with my 2nd I just readjusted my lap belt all the time.

Is this safe? Does anyone know?
37f1cd8ce065bc036884dd47aed99d48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It has been discussed on here before....I think the general consensus was that it hasn't been crash tested to make sure that that little clip holds up in a crash...which means you'd probably be introducing a ton of slack into the seatbelt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seb3244

It has been discussed on here before....I think the general consensus was that it hasn't been crash tested to make sure that that little clip holds up in a crash...which means you'd probably be introducing a ton of slack into the seatbelt. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I was thinking. If the clip broke there is so much slack.

AllieK

Is the model in that picture a man? I don't know that my DH would feel comfortable with the seat belt between his legs in a crash... men? Darren? Wouldn't this be horrible for a man in an accident?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Pretty sure that's a pregnant mama, maybe she had to steal her DH's cool brown corduroys for that early pregnant stage? Unless it just a heavy guy? Hmmmm...
That seat is *solid*, they were at Lifesavers one year trying to get us to...approve...? of them, or something.
The change in belt geometry is just so extreme, I'd want to see some major positives on the crash testing metrics to make me feel like it's safe. And if it's safeR, I want one for me all the time, or like, why isn't there a pommel in my vehicle seats to hook the lapbelt, then?

AllieK

I was thinking it was a product for pregnant woman but the picture totally threw me off, then I started wondering if it was just for those with a large stomach...
Posted via Mobile Device

seb3244

Pretty sure that's a pregnant mama, maybe she had to steal her DH's cool brown corduroys for that early pregnant stage? Unless it just a heavy guy? Hmmmm... That seat is *solid*, they were at Lifesavers one year trying to get us to...approve...? of them, or something. The change in belt geometry is just so extreme, I'd want to see some major positives on the crash testing metrics to make me feel like it's safe. And if it's safeR, I want one for me all the time, or like, why isn't there a pommel in my vehicle seats to hook the lapbelt, then?

Lmao!!! You're hilarious!

Yes a preggo belly. I thought everyone could read my mind I guess because I didn't state that earlier lol

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I was loaned one to try. I actually think it probably is safer than just a seat belt for a pregnant mama but I am not a crash test engineer and my guess doesn't hold much weight. Being a CPST doesn't give me any credentials to approve or disapprove a product like this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC