Question Britax Advocate in Chevy Equinox - headrest in the way?

U

Unregistered

Hello!
I am hoping someone might be able to help me. We have had our Britax Advocate since DD was an infant (after her newborn seat), and she is 4 now. We previously had a Honda CRV and the seat fit perfectly in there. We just started leasing a 2016 Chevy Equinox, and I went to install the Advocate and realized a big problem - since the Advocate is a tall seat and the Equinox's headrest is clunky/tilted forward/unmoveable, the headrest pushed up against the back of the Advocate and doesn't allow the car seat to lay flush against the back of the seat. Has anyone heard of this issue/know of any solution? Thank you so much!!!!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is it possible to remove the headrest? Britax definitely allows you to do that to make the seat fit better, but obviously only if it's physically possible to do so with the car. If you can't figure it out just by looking, definitely check the vehicle manual to see if/how it can be done. If not, can you put the seat in the middle position? Am I remembering correctly there's no headrest in the middle?

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to remove the headrest? Britax definitely allows you to do that to make the seat fit better, but obviously only if it's physically possible to do so with the car. If you can't figure it out just by looking, definitely check the vehicle manual to see if/how it can be done. If not, can you put the seat in the middle position? Am I remembering correctly there's no headrest in the middle?

The headrest is not removable unfortunately. I saw a youtube video on how to stick pins into teeny holes to get the headrest to release, but I couldn't get it to work. It's definitely not designed to be removable headrests.

U

Unregistered

Grandma here. I have a 2015 Equinox, and I have the same problem, as the headrest is not moveable or re-moveable. Right now I have the 3 year-old in his infant seat in the middle, which requires me to climb into the back seat to fasten the safety belts, not easy for a 70-something. Also, I have a booster on one side for his 7-year-old sister, but it's really hard to reach her seat belt fastener. Sure wish Chevy had anticipated this issue. I'll continue to look for solutions.

scd

The Equinox back seat reclines and it definatly helped when installing car seats for us. The seat also moves forward and back allowing for more space to move the infant seat to a side.
Posted via Mobile Device

U

Unregistered

We have the same car seat, and we almost returned it to the store when we didn't think it would fit into our equinox. We were able to remove the rear headrest by researching how to do it. It is possible, and the car seat now fits perfectly. We also reclined the seat back to its furthest reclining position.

U

Unregistered

Hi,
How did you remove the headrest? Thank you.

[ QUOTE=Unregistered;2948819]We have the same car seat, and we almost return ned it to the store when we didn't think it would fit into our equinox. We were able to remove the rear headrest by researching how to do it. It is possible, and the car seat now fits perfectly. We also reclined the seat back to its furthest reclining position.[/QUOTE]

F

Frustratined

I just spent over an hour in my equinox trying to remove one of my *@&$ing headrests. It’s is possible with 2 Allen keys and a lot of sweat and maybe some tears lol. There are two tiny holes on the right sides of each of the headrest bases, insert and Allen key and push until it clicks then pull up the headrest. I found it easiest to do from the trunk (which would make the holes on the left hand side)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC