Had a good scary happen today

Keeyamah

I had had to move my oldest's booster to uninstall a seat and didn't get it back in place before I picked him up from daycare. He tried to tell me he was big enough to ride without a booster. I let him buckle up to show him why he wasn't.... Well, he almost 5 steps..... He only is 6, the lap and shoulder belt are good, but his knees don't bend.

The only reason I consider it good is emergency situations, if he had no choice but to be booster-less, there is a decent chance the belt fit would be ok, not great, not perfect. But suitable for emergency.

He is and will be boostered for a few more years yet (minimum of 3, I'm betting until he passes the 5-step test fully), but it's nice to know that eventually having big kids comes in handy.

ADS

jacqui276

Life definitely gets easier once they become big enough to not need a seat! IT is sad when the car seats start slowing disappearing from the back seat though. :(

Mysweethoneybee

My youngest is 8 but he is about 5 foot tall and 120lbs and he 5 steps in everything now. I was sad to take the booster out but he fits better without it. My youngest wears pants his oldest brother wore in middle school and shirts his oldest brother wore in high school. We will probably have to find out where Hagrid from Harry Potter shops when he is full grown.

jaemom

My youngest is 8 but he is about 5 foot tall and 120lbs and he 5 steps in everything now. I was sad to take the booster out but he fits better without it. My youngest wears pants his oldest brother wore in middle school and shirts his oldest brother wore in high school. We will probably have to find out where Hagrid from Harry Potter shops when he is full grown.

Ha! And my oldest is almost 12, and is 4' 8" and 68lbs. He will be in a booster forever! Thank goodness for the incognito!

Qarin

All that said, I do not think "knees don't bend" is at all "almost 5 steps". Without the knees bending (and ideally, the feet reaching the floor comfortably flat), the child does NOT fit that seatbelt- even if it appears to lay acceptably over the hips when he's scooted all the way back and frozen for you to check, he can't help but move by either slouching or drawing his legs up onto the seat, and either way the belt will rise above those hip bones. As he grows, the lap-belt fit will probably get worse before it gets better, besides.

In an emergency, when everything turns out ok because there is no accident, and it was truly a real emergency? Fine, lucky, ok. But I would not personally allow myself to feel at all comforted by seeing that fit.

Keeyamah

I have family that despite everything I have said (and husband will not cut them off) do things like take my children without seats "because we didn't use them and we were fine". So, yes, knowing my child and his understanding that the seat belt has to be on bones to keep him safe, I will feel a little reassured that belt for is even half decent.

Oh, and now they can even pull "He's 6, it's legal" in our state.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC