Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

You know CSO helped shape your life when...

... you get on Test Track at Walt Disney World, a 3-across vehicle simulator ride, and start to sit in the middle... but move to the side... because the sides have lap and shoulder belts, but the middle is lap only. And lap only belts aren't safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marathon Mom (in training) to:
    J1 - 15 years & 5-stepping and driving (well, provisionally)
    J2 - 7 years in Diono Radian and Graco TurboBooster

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: You know CSO helped shape your life when...

...you have a weird dream in which your husband marries another woman -- and (in the dream world) the only part of the situation that really bothers you is that the new wife says she prefers to just hold babies on her lap in the car.

Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

Test track must still be sponsored by one of those automakers that doesn't put shoulder belts in their middle rear seats of some vehicles!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I had the exact same thought on Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventure... except I was with 2 kids. So I gave them the shoulder belts and put myself center.

I was like "only a car seat geek would put so much thought into this!"
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I always sit outboard in test track!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by thekatie View Post
    ... you get on Test Track at Walt Disney World, a 3-across vehicle simulator ride, and start to sit in the middle... but move to the side... because the sides have lap and shoulder belts, but the middle is lap only. And lap only belts aren't safe Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha!! I thought the same thing on test track. I actually got into a conversation with my friend about how unsafe lap belts are. Lol.

CPS Fanatic
    When you start to think the high chair straps need moved up but then wonder if it's rf or ff. and then (finally) realize how ridiculous this is.

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    When you google for pics of car seats and you know a lot of the kids' names

11. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thepote View Post
    When you google for pics of car seats and you know a lot of the kids' names
    Definitely this one. And "oh, so-and-so was so little when she had that seat!"
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Am I the only one who prefers lap-only on Test Track because it's the only time it's safe? lol (plus the shoulder belt fits me horribly!)
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    Test track must still be sponsored by one of those automakers that doesn't put shoulder belts in their middle rear seats of some vehicles!
    Chevrolet isn't it?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
    Michelle

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyherder View Post
    When you start to think the high chair straps need moved up but then wonder if it's rf or ff. and then (finally) realize how ridiculous this is.
    Or panic because they are above her shoulders and she's too young for that!
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    ...you have a weird dream in which your husband marries another woman -- and (in the dream world) the only part of the situation that really bothers you is that the new wife says she prefers to just hold babies on her lap in the car.
    This made me laugh so loud at work my coworker in the neighboring office came over! He didn't get it when I told him... LMAO
    Posted via Mobile Device

Carseat Crazy

When having a nightmare after watching The Walking Dead right before bed of trying to teach parents to install and properly use their convertible forward facing because they were just switching WHILE fighting off zombies....... Yep, one of the 4 dreams I actually remember in my life is that one.

I had just received one of Sean's Radians and it was too cold to install it, plus watching that show (which I do love, but am way behind on) caused a very interesting dream.

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMommaNH View Post
    Chevrolet isn't it?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
    Legally they've had to be in center seats for a couple years now (like, 10?) in all cars, but Chevy was a total holdout, most other brands did it before the mandate. So, yup.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Legally they've had to be in center seats for a couple years now (like, 10?) in all cars, but Chevy was a total holdout, most other brands did it before the mandate. So, yup.
    I just can't bring myself to buy domestic, so I don't really pay attention to Chevy vehicles in general, but I know in older Suburbans there's no headrest in the middle, and it drives me NUTS when my friends all pile into one vehicle for carpooling. "You're not safe!" But the owner of that vehicle yelled at me when I freaked out during a race, because it was my son's 4th birthday and I forgot to leave a harnessed seat with the babysitter. "He'll be fine in just the seatbelt!" "No he won't! He's still REAR FACING! He can't go to a seatbelt now!" She thinks I'm nuts.

Anyway. Test Track is fun, and I was laughing at myself about moving over, because I know it must be safe on that ride (Disney would not have an unsafe ride, I *know* it's been tested out the wazoo)... but I still just couldn't.
    Marathon Mom (in training) to:
    J1 - 15 years & 5-stepping and driving (well, provisionally)
    J2 - 7 years in Diono Radian and Graco TurboBooster

Quote Originally Posted by thekatie View Post
    I just can't bring myself to buy domestic, so I don't really pay attention to Chevy vehicles in general, but I know in older Suburbans there's no headrest in the middle, and it drives me NUTS when my friends all pile into one vehicle for carpooling. "You're not safe!" But the owner of that vehicle yelled at me when I freaked out during a race, because it was my son's 4th birthday and I forgot to leave a harnessed seat with the babysitter. "He'll be fine in just the seatbelt!" "No he won't! He's still REAR FACING! He can't go to a seatbelt now!" She thinks I'm nuts.

Anyway. Test Track is fun, and I was laughing at myself about moving over, because I know it must be safe on that ride (Disney would not have an unsafe ride, I *know* it's been tested out the wazoo)... but I still just couldn't.

Dude, in brand new Suburbans there's no headrests in the middle! I don't think Chevy has any vehicles with center headrests.

I think Impalas do.

But I don't get the refusal to provide headrests. It's kind of like not putting top tethers in every position. Come on... it's gotta be a drop in the bucket when it comes to vehicle costs and it provides a KNOWN benefit. Why not?!
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!