2016 Toyota Tacoma - infant and convertible

U

Unregistered

Hi - My husband just got a 2016 Toyota Tacoma. I think it's called a double cab, there are 4 doors with a full back seat (although small-ish). We currently have a 2 year old RF in a Britax Boulevard CT. We are due soon with our second and have a Britax B Safe. I can't make the seats work together - the Boulevard alone is perfectly fine RF in the middle, but together it just doesn't work. I would prefer the infant seat in the middle. . . but I can't click it in the base next to the Boulevard (it was also pretty tight and hit both front seats). I also tried installing them in the outboard seats. I tried the B Safe behind the driver seat but my husband was really uncomfortable with how far up his seat was. I really, really, really don't want to put the Boulevard behind his seat because he will want it FF to give him more room (he has to move his seat up for the boulevard too, but not as much). I want to keep her RF as long as possible.

As much as I love my seats, I guess I'm open to buying a different brand. I just need something easy to install. I wonder if I should try to find a narrower convertible so the B Safe and convertible fit next to each other. Or if there's an infant seat that isn't as deep and could fit better behind the driver seat (but then it won't fit with our britax stroller).

Any ideas you have are appreciated! Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You have the Boulevard as upright as it allows? Or close to it? It's a very compact seat and should fit everywhere.

Wendy

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You have the Boulevard as upright as it allows? Or close to it? It's a very compact seat and should fit everywhere.

Wendy

Agreed! For a 2 year old, the Boulevard Clicktight can be installed as upright as it needs to be. I don't have mine with me, but if you look at the level indicator on the side, I believe the entire length of it is either light or dark blue, meaning that the entire range of the indicator is acceptable for rear-facing when used with an older child. (I believe light blue is the only acceptable range for infants, but either shade of blue would be fine for a 2 year old.) I would install the seat at an angle that you think make sense and be comfy for your kid and see if your husband can move his seat back comfortably. If he can't, uninstall and make the Boulevard one click more upright and try again. Repeat until he feels comfortable and then try your daughter in the seat to make sure she tolerates the angle okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

Unregistered

I thought I did, but I'll try it again tonight to double check. Good to know it might still work! Any thoughts on getting the B Safe in the middle, next to the Boulevard? How much are the two seats allowed to touch - I would have had to force it into the base with how close it was to the Boulevard.
Posted via Mobile Device

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Try keeping the Boulevard as close to the door as possible. With the ClickTight it's very easy to position the seat where you'd like it. The two seats can touch, but they cannot be relying on one another to be snug.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

It worked! Thank you so much - I moved the Boulevard over as far as possible and then the B Safe fit perfectly in the middle. They are touching, but not by much. Thank you!!!

I have another question. . .I tried installing both seats in my car as well tonight (Acura TL) and can't get them to fit nicely. I put the Boulevard behind the passenger and the B Safe in the middle. The problem I have is that when I move the Boulevard over toward the door more to get them to fit, because of the cushion on the side of the seat, the car seat is pretty lopsided. In the truck, the seat is flat so I didn't have that problem. Do you think I need to install each seat in an outboard position? Or is there a trick to getting the Boulevard flat/even? Also, since the Boulevard isn't positioned in the middle of the seat the anti rebound bar isn't flush against the backseat. . .is that ok?

Thanks again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a ClickTight it's actually a little harder to get a seat flat. Normally I'd tell you, especially with a non ClickTight Britax, to just add weight to that side as you tighten. But you can't do that! You can try to add weight to the outside and flatten the seat as you remove the slack and close, but it may not work as well. It's not unsafe, but it's annoying.

The anti-rebound bar, I don't know.

Glad you have success in the truck. Yay!

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Ok - I'll try again in my car another night (I need break!) but it's good to know its not unsafe. Thanks a million for your help - I'm so relieved I got them to fit comfortably in the truck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC