Air travel with two kids...which seats?

springbok

We bought plane seats for the baby (11 mth old) and 4yo, and now I need to figure out what car seats to bring. We have: Radian R120, Foonf, Triumph and Frontier. Any thoughts are appreciated!

ADS

aept

Will your four year old FF in the car on the other end? I'm thinking Radian FF on plane (no boot needed, you can still use the airplane tray table) and in the car for the 4 year old and maybe picking up a scenera next for the 11 month.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are new seats an option? I wouldn't want to fly with any of those.

I have to admit that this was my thought too...

What is the height and weight of each child? How long is the flight? What cars are you installing in on the other end and will there be long drives where the kids will need to sleep? Have you flown with any of your current seats before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

springbok

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do heights when they wake up but weights are approx 22 and 43lbs. 4yo will FF at destination. Flight is 5ish hrs and rental car will be a van...not sure of the make/model. Easy install is impt since I'll be husbandless and the flight times suck so my kids will be angry/hungry/tired.

Buying one more seat is possible as baby needs a seat for second car. We've flown w the Radian before when ODD was a toddler. What a beast!

jjordan

So one adult and two children? If so I'd be inclined to buy new, light seats. Load both on a stroller to go through the airport, have the baby in a carrier, and have the 4 year old hold onto the side of the stroller to get through the airport (if he can be trusted to do so - mine always could at age 4 but I know some can't! in which case I'd use a toddler leash/backpack!).

Is it possible to have a seat waiting for you at your destination? Because I would definitely consider having the 4 year old go in the airplane seat. At over 40 pounds it is likely to be an okay fit and it would be easier to have to lug just one seat with you. (Of course with a 5 hour flight, a car seat on the plane is likely to be more comfortable... but more hassle.)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Is it possible to have a seat waiting for you at your destination? Because I would definitely consider having the 4 year old go in the airplane seat. At over 40 pounds it is likely to be an okay fit and it would be easier to have to lug just one seat with you. (Of course with a 5 hour flight, a car seat on the plane is likely to be more comfortable... but more hassle.)

I am inclined to agree -- especially if your 4 year old is mature enough not to mess with the airplane belt buckle.

If you won't be able to have a seat waiting for you at your destination, but believe that your 4 year old can handle being in the plane without a harness, an IMMI Go might be a good option for portability as well as ease of installation on the other end. Pretty pricey if you were just going to use it one time, but if you travel frequently and have the baby to pass it down to eventually, it might be a good investment.

If you'd prefer to have your 4 year old harnessed for the plane ride, then a Sureride would be a good lightweight bet with lots of growing room in the harness.

threeundertwo

We flew with 3 kids under 5, 2 Surerides and a Radian for over 14 hours but we had 2 adults. I really liked the Surerides and highly recommend them. They are also stackable so you could put 2 on a cart and carry the baby in a carrier like other posters suggested. They don't allow tray use though but we took some clipboards. Good luck!

lgenne

I would get a Sureride and a Scenera NEXT. The SN is so easy to use rear facing, and compact. In a couple years, the baby will outgrow the SN, at which point the older kid can be in a lightweight booster, and the Sureride can be passed down.

springbok

Thanks everyone! I'll look at the sureride. Two new seats aren't in the budget since the frontier is just a couple of months old. Of the seats we have, which would be the best to take? I assume I would put the baby in the sureride? I will have semicapable adult help wrangling kids and carseats. Just not my regular trusty sidekick.

lgenne

What is your budget? A Scenera NEXT is $45. If you're good with pink, a Sureride is $76.24 at Walmart right now. (Other colors cost a few bucks more.)

If that's too much, I think I'd go with the Triumph, but the Radian is a close second.

Last edited:

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks everyone! I'll look at the sureride. Two new seats aren't in the budget since the frontier is just a couple of months old. Of the seats we have, which would be the best to take? I assume I would put the baby in the sureride? I will have semicapable adult help wrangling kids and carseats. Just not my regular trusty sidekick.

If a SureRide and a NEXT aren't both possible, I would probably bring your Radian and a Scenara NEXT. The NEXT is only $45, so it will be outgrown faster, but less bulky and even more budget friendly than the SureRide. From what I understand, the Scenara NEXT is easier to install than the SureRide and you would also have a good chance of being able to RF the baby on the plane with it (whereas the SureRide might be too big). You've traveled with the Radian before, so you at least know its challenges and you wouldn't have to mess with the RF boot if it was being used FF for your 4-yr-old. Plus, I think you can have the tray table down with a FF Radian on the plane.

krasota

A five hour flight is probably on a larger plane. The Radian wheels down the aisle nicely on cross-country jets. I just did it on a baltimore-phoenix flight. I'd likely use the Radian FF for the older kid, buy a Scenera Next for the babe. Bonus: the Radian has such a low profile that a FF kid can use the seat tray!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC