Sitting on a cushion

agent220

I recently got a Nissan NV with that enormous hood. I feel safer being higher to see better over the hood (I don't have power seats to my regret; I let my husband talk me into the base model) so I got a wedge cushion.

I thought it would help serve as a booster, almost, and help the seat belt fit better, but I'm not finding I'm getting a tight feeling on the lap belt. Is that normal? Is there a different option to make sure I'm secure and also higher up?

(Too bad I weigh too much for a Safety 1st Incognito ;) )

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unfortunately there isn't a safe solution to this, really. A wedge cushion probably isn't the best idea either. :(

agent220

And here I grew up with a mother who always sat on them and my mother in law sat on pillows...all the tips for short drivers include sitting on some sort of cushion. Sigh.

Probably better for me to get used to less visibility but be in a tighter buckle, right?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Honestly, I'd use an Incognito before I'd use some other wedge/cushion. At least the Incognito has belt guides and is crash tested.

littleangelfire

Visibility is a big deal. I would use the option that fits best and call it one of those real world compromises. My aunt was under 5 feet. If she hadn't used a cushion to sit on she wouldn't have been a safe driver.

jjordan

I would also use an Incognito.

But, I'm short-ish and feeling like I don't have good visibility in a vehicle is a deal-breaker for me.

Aurezalia

I use an Incognito and I've gained weight so I'm definitely over the weight limit :eek:
But as PPs said, I'm comfortable with it. I figure it's been crash tested, and most importantly - unlike a child that still needs a booster, obviously I've been through puberty and have well-developed hips. Even if the belt guides break, I don't need them to hold the lap belt down. As a short person, it's a compromise I'm okay with :shrug-shoulders:

agent220

So I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy and definitely break the 120 rule ;)

I chucked the wedge cushion yesterday and tilted the steering wheel back down (I had it up to move it away from my growing abdomen due to the airbags when on the cushion) to gain more visibility out the window. I was only driving to my kids' school 5 minutes away and back, with a 20 mph speed limit, so I figured I don't have to see very close in front of me (and I parked at the end of the parking lot where no kids walk through and I drove through a spot so I wouldn't have to gauge distance in front of me as much)...

Maybe after I have a baby I'll reassess my size and position in the car and figure out if I need a cushion for better safety while driving, if I fit in an Incognito (one can hope and dream, right?), or if I should just get used to not seeing directly in front of me.

AmyW

After my back injury the physio team gave me one of those obusform seat cushions to use in my vehicle with a small wedge cushion under it to compensate for the deep slope to my car's bucket seat. It definitely gave me a boost, but still always felt really secure with my seatbelt. Is this not a safe option?
Posted via Mobile Device

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
After my back injury the physio team gave me one of those obusform seat cushions to use in my vehicle with a small wedge cushion under it to compensate for the deep slope to my car's bucket seat. It definitely gave me a boost, but still always felt really secure with my seatbelt. Is this not a safe option?
Posted via Mobile Device

We really just aren't sure...we know that boosters without armrests are absolutely horrible for children without developed hip bones, but we don't really have crash data to see if adding a tall, possibly slippy cushion under an adult is going to cause a problem in a crash.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Amazon.com - Large Medium-FIRM Wellness Seat Cushion (Size: 17" x 13" x 3". Color: Black) - Chair Pads
This is what I had gotten. But I just don't feel like the buckle is tight...

I used this product or a very similar one for years in our 2000 Subaru Outback. The seat cushions were so firm it was uncomfortable on long trips. Haven't had to use it on our Toyotas. As long as it doesn't make the lap or shoulder belt worse, I'd be comfortable using a cushion or booster especially if it improves your visibility too. The submarining issue is a concern, though, as that is why seats cushions are sculpted and some cushions seem like they might at least partially defeat that benefit.

agent220

I think a lot of my visibility issues are psychological -- and I am supposed to see the hood in front of me, which I am not used to. I have been driving for a couple days sans cushion and feeling more comfortable in judging distance to pull into parking spots, though I still don't feel like the lap belt is all that tight even without it. Maybe I need something BEHIND my back and since I don't I've been subconsciously not sitting in the back of my seat to gain more visibility?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Maybe I need something BEHIND my back and since I don't I've been subconsciously not sitting in the back of my seat to gain more visibility?

I think this is very possible. Maybe try playing with the seat positions/recline? I know you said you don't have power seats, but does it have manual adjustability? My DH and I have two cars, but they are both for both of us and so neither is perfectly and consistently set up for either of us. I recently started forcing myself to take the time to adjust the seat when I am the driver and it has helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agent220

Yes, they manually adjust which my husband and the salesman said would offer me more flexibility in seating positions, but the power seats lift up whereas the manual seats don't...so I can play with the recline, and have done so, but I think either way, the seat itself is too big for me, and being at the back of the seat doesn't afford me great visibility so I probably end up sliding myself forward on the seat to see better.

We're also used to switching positions often as my husband is half a foot taller than me and we've always shared vehicles. It's not a problem for us to always adjust the settings, but that's not the issue, I don't think.

Should I look into one of those lumbar pillows that strap on to the seat? I am the main daily driver of this vehicle, so I know that won't bother my husband and for long drives when he's the main driver, it's not a big deal to remove it.

agent220

Update: I found a thin foam pad thing in my kids' closet that I think one of my boys kept as a "treasure" from a shipment we got. I folded it into an L, and it has a slip proof backing on the other side. It fits perfectly in the seat, and it gives me a little lift up for better vision, but not too high that it is hard to reach the pedals, and it also gives a little extra padding for my back so I don't have to sit all the way back in the seat. I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation :)

aporthole

We really just aren't sure...we know that boosters without armrests are absolutely horrible for children without developed hip bones, but we don't really have crash data to see if adding a tall, possibly slippy cushion under an adult is going to cause a problem in a crash.

I've never heard this before regarding boosters without armrests. Do you have any links that discuss this? If this is true, I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I've never heard this before regarding boosters without armrests. Do you have any links that discuss this? If this is true, I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

I would as well. I've also seen stuff floated around about 4-year olds not being suitable for boosters due to hip development and I'd like to see some compelling recent research about that, too. Not that these things would surprise me, it's quite possible they happen in crash test labs and are discussed at conferences and meetings as theoretical in nature. I'm more interested if these things are actually any concern in the real world.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC