ERF sighting!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was picking my daughter up from daycare when I saw one of the teachers putting her child in the car. I hadn't even realized that this teacher had a child (she doesn't look a day over 18 but I later found out from my husband that she is in grad school). I couldn't see the seat, but I noticed the angle at which she was buckling her 3-ish year old. I was like, "huh, that looks like me when I buckle MY kid in..." Sure enough, the next time I picked up my daughter, I saw the teacher's car and that it had a RF seat in the back!

Woot! I am so excited! I have been on here so much that I hadn't even realized how unusual it is for me to see ERF parents in my community, but I think that this was the first time "in real life" that I have seen someone load a RF child older than 2 into their car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

AllieK

Minus my friend's kid, I haven't met a baby older than 18 months old RF :(

:yeahthatsad:
Can't say I've seen anyone RF past 18 months here. Even my well educated, crunchy mommy friends who research everything to death flip their toddlers to FF.

jjordan

The only people I've seen with big kids RF are my sisters. Although, I've helped some friends choose convertible seats in the past couple of years and I'm curious to see how long they use them RF. Time will tell how much they believed my "as long as possible!" advice!

melissa621

Oh wow!! I rarely see babies RF unless they're in an infant seat. Honestly most of the time, I see kids FF before a year. Once I think I've seen a total of about 2 kids who RF until around 2.

jacqui276

That is exciting!

I was excited the other day when I saw that one of the other dayhome moms had a Radian in her car....until I realized that she was putting her 1 year old in it ffing. :(

seb3244

Wow it's like as rare and magical as a unicorn. I hope one day it is super normal :)

I want to write my state rep and tell them to change the law.
I just don't know what to say in the letter....

tjham

I was made fun of when my kids and grandkids were in carseats and when my grandson was rearfacing to 28 months 9 years ago, so I don't say anything on facebook at all, about carseats OR seatbelts. :(

But I was pleasantly surprised when a distant relative, a 21 year old new mom posted the news about California making rear facing to two the law! I jumped right in and said 'Yay! So much safer. I hope Arizona will follow suit!" She said she plans to.

When it gets close to her baby being two, I may hint that she can go much longer, but we'll see!

seb3244

I was made fun of when my kids and grandkids were in carseats and when my grandson was rearfacing to 28 months 9 years ago, so I don't say anything on facebook at all, about carseats OR seatbelts. :( But I was pleasantly surprised when a distant relative, a 21 year old new mom posted the news about California making rear facing to two the law! I jumped right in and said 'Yay! So much safer. I hope Arizona will follow suit!" She said she plans to. When it gets close to her baby being two, I may hint that she can go much longer, but we'll see!

California?! Whoa that's awesome! Anyone know when it goes into effect? Also do you know what to say in the letter to the representatives?

So cool that your grandson rear faced at 28 months 9 yrs ago!! And also awesome about your cousin!!

AllieK

The CA law won't go into effect until 2017 though. Better late than never, I guess. Here's a link to the text of the bill if anyone is interested: AB53

I honestly don't know if the law will change anything here. I see so many people just tossing their kids in the backseat, no CRS, no seatbelts, etc. Police cite for it & the Court tosses the citations out or refers the families to the local health department for CRS classes & free seats. I would guess less than half of those cited actually go to Court, most blow it off, let it go to warrant & end up getting it dismissed years later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC