5 year old in booster?

lpperry

I switched Oliver to a high back booster at 6 years old. I based that on stuff I had read on here. Now I can't remember why I picked 6. I haven't kept up on my carseat reading as well this year. Is a 5 year old safe in a well fitting high back booster provided she sits properly every time? Is a harness safer for a 5 year old or is it just because a 5 year old is more likely to move out of position?

This goes along with my Land Cruiser thread. Put the 5 year old in a high back booster or use the RSTV?

ADS

finn

I put my son in a booster from 5 & my 4.4yo is booster trained and will move into a booster once she turns 5. I don't think there is any evidence of one or the other being safer so long as they sit correctly every time.

Keeyamah

My oldest moved to a booster at 4.5. My original intention was just to start training him as one set of in laws liked to forget what the crotch buckle was and only clip the chest clip. But he happened to do amazing, so we mostly haven't gone back. A couple of 8 hour drives where we started at 3am, but that was when he couldn't sleep in a booster. He is 6 now.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If the seat belt properly fits the child with the booster seat, and the child can sit correctly while in the car, then boostering at 5 is acceptable.

Personally, I've kept all of my kids harnessed later. We are in the car often (I drive them to/from school every day) and almost always together, so there are too many opportunities for distraction. I think DS was harnessed until 8, DD1 until 7, and DD2 probably until at least 7.

(I do let DD2 ride in a booster every once in a while, like when she's with my parents in a situation where I'm not available to install a harnessed seat - for instance, when they pick her up from my house in my Dad's van, and she will also be riding in my Mom's car once or twice over the weekend. I send a booster for my mom's car. She does fine for short rides.)

jacqui276

People choosing to harness longer is more so for maturity so that they are more likely to stay in position. If your 5 year old has a good seat belt fit in the booster and stays in position, I would have no problem putting her in a booster seat.

I highly doubt my kid will get to 6 in a harnessed seat (ours max out at 65lbs here) and will be lucky to see 5 so I'm crossing my fingers that he will catch on to sitting properly quickly once we get there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC