Purchase New Vehicle with #3 coming (and hopefully more later)

Sbee12

We are expecting #3 in April and a new car is a must.

In April we will have a 3 year old (likely FF, but currently RF) in a Britax Advocate and a 1.5 year old RF in a Britax Advocate and a newborn in a yet to be determined car seat. We plan to have at least one more child, and will likely have 4 in car seats. We want this vehicle to be our family vehicle for 10 years

Our vehicle requirements are:

- Seats 4 in car seats (with 3 RF) (preferable at least 4 full LATCH systems)
- Decent gas mileage (although DH and I quibble on what decent means)
- cargo capacity for a double stroller and 2 suitcases and a playpen with 3rd row up
- Budget is pretty much anything as long as the vehicle meets our requirement list and I'm confident it will last 10 years.

To me, this list means an Odyssey is a no-brainer, but I cannot convince DH to get a minivan, so I'm looking for other options. He's agreed to test the Odyssey if I agree to look at SUV's, but I don't want to look at any that don't meet the rest of my requirements.

TIA

ADS

jjordan

What does each of you think "decent gas mileage" means? You'll get much better gas mileage with a minivan than with an SUV that is large enough to do all you want it to do. SUV options would basically be only the biggest of the big - I'm thinking Ford Expedition, Suburban... I can't think of all the names right now. And I don't know offhand how many sets of LATCH the various models have.

Do you plan to buy new or used?

lgenne

Of the SUVs out there, I think the Pilot has the best LATCH coverage. Which makes your test driving easier, at least.

I'm guessing that getting in them and comparing side by side will convince him pretty quickly that the Odyssey is awesome for hauling families and their gear, and the Pilot is usable for hauling families. :)

Sbee12

What does each of you think "decent gas mileage" means? You'll get much better gas mileage with a minivan than with an SUV that is large enough to do all you want it to do. SUV options would basically be only the biggest of the big - I'm thinking Ford Expedition, Suburban... I can't think of all the names right now. And I don't know offhand how many sets of LATCH the various models have.

Do you plan to buy new or used?

Decent for me is a minimum 24mpg. (80% of our driving is highway, but we drive 30,000 km a year). Dh agrees with decent but when I press for a number he says its more important that the car "work" for our family. So I don't know the decent is really his consideration, more mine.

When I look at the Expedition and Suburban, the gas mileage is what gets me; that's why I don't like them.

We will buy new because DH refuses to even consider used.

Sbee12

Of the SUVs out there, I think the Pilot has the best LATCH coverage. Which makes your test driving easier, at least.

I'm guessing that getting in them and comparing side by side will convince him pretty quickly that the Odyssey is awesome for hauling families and their gear, and the Pilot is usable for hauling families. :)

My hope is that the test drive will convince him, because he's dead set against minivans right now.

Is there cargo space for a dbl stroller & suitcases & playpen in the Pilot? I haven't seen one in person yet, but from the interior pictures online it looks like there wouldn't be.

NVMBR02

We have a Pilot (It's a 2012) and while it has plenty of cargo room with 2 kids (all were in boosters/car seats when we bought it) it would not be big enough to carry 4 car seats plus the cargo you listed with the third row up. You could fold half the seat down and fit it, but for us that is not preferable. If you don't want a mini van then I think you would need a full sized SUV but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have enough LATCH positions for you (but we also haven't looked for a new vehicle in 3+ years).

allmyboyz

Odyssey. I am currently expecting with a 4yo and 2 yo and seriously regret my 2014 highlander. Wasn't planning another for five years lol. Now I have to cram a three across of seatbelt installed harnessed seats to keep my cargo space, and can't even consider another passenger in there. Have hubby install 4 seats in the pilot and he will come around lol. It's either odyssey or gas guzzler from here on out.

avidreader

Just my take on things (I know others who disagree)... 3 kids and car seats/ boosters is best in a minivan. We currently have an older Honda Pilot and 3 kids. We bought it before having any kids as we didn't want to have to buy a family car later on. I adore my Pilot in every way. I love the way it drives, love how safe I feel in it and love that it is a mid size suv and not a huge beast. That being said, since we had our youngest a year ad a half ago, I have loathed it. I still love driving it, but I'm so over having to use the third row on a daily basis and having kids climbing over seats to get in ( or through the back) and sharing the cargo space. Technically you can fit 3 across but it is so tricky with 2 boosters and a convertible seat to fit AND have kids be able to easily buckle, hence the use of the third row. Cargo space is so limited with it in use. We went looking at minivans even though I really am reluctant to get one as I love driving an suv and I fell in love with the practicality of the odyssey with 3 + kids. It would be so much easier to use on a daily basis. To have the ease of extra seats for friends and not having to worry about our cargo space being infringed upon like it is with midsize suv's and third row use, is what won me over. That and comparing it to the beastly big suv s out there, you can't beat the gas mileage and ease of getting in and out. We are hoping to buy one in the next year and when my kids are out of car seats we will probably go back to the beloved Pilot.

allmyboyz

Just my take on things (I know others who disagree)... 3 kids and car seats/ boosters is best in a minivan. We currently have an older Honda Pilot and 3 kids. We bought it before having any kids as we didn't want to have to buy a family car later on. I adore my Pilot in every way. I love the way it drives, love how safe I feel in it and love that it is a mid size suv and not a huge beast. That being said, since we had our youngest a year ad a half ago, I have loathed it. I still love driving it, but I'm so over having to use the third row on a daily basis and having kids climbing over seats to get in ( or through the back) and sharing the cargo space. Technically you can fit 3 across but it is so tricky with 2 boosters and a convertible seat to fit AND have kids be able to easily buckle, hence the use of the third row. Cargo space is so limited with it in use. We went looking at minivans even though I really am reluctant to get one as I love driving an suv and I fell in love with the practicality of the odyssey with 3 + kids. It would be so much easier to use on a daily basis. To have the ease of extra seats for friends and not having to worry about our cargo space being infringed upon like it is with midsize suv's and third row use, is what won me over. That and comparing it to the beastly big suv s out there, you can't beat the gas mileage and ease of getting in and out. We are hoping to buy one in the next year and when my kids are out of car seats we will probably go back to the beloved Pilot.

No disagreement here lol. I am expecting #3 and already loathing my 2014 highlander that was just meant for two kids for a few years.

jjordan

Decent for me is a minimum 24mpg. (80% of our driving is highway, but we drive 30,000 km a year). Dh agrees with decent but when I press for a number he says its more important that the car "work" for our family. So I don't know the decent is really his consideration, more mine.

When I look at the Expedition and Suburban, the gas mileage is what gets me; that's why I don't like them.

We will buy new because DH refuses to even consider used.

If you want 24 mpg and enough cargo space for a pack n play, double stroller, and two suitcases with the third row in use, then a minivan is the only thing that I can imagine working. Good luck with dh! :)

MamaChirpy

A new Expedition EL (the longer one) would fit your list. I don't know the mileage, but a new one would probably be very comparable.

Just a note: make sure you do your research on gas mileage. I bought a Dodge Caravan expecting to get 24 MPG. I rarely got 18. It was a big fat lie. My Suburban on the other hand, gets 18-19 no problem. I can really pay attention and get 21-22. On the highway, it's consistently 22.

Mama to 4 little stair steps
www.chirpylove.wordpress.com

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC