Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Latch vs seatbelt study rear end collisions

http://www.robsonforensic.com/upload...t-Abstract.pdf

Kind of interesting that this study found LATCH not as effective in a rear end crash as the seatbelt for infant seats. Any ideas why? Is this a credible study?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Latch vs seatbelt study rear end collisions

Hmm interesting, it would be even more interesting if they could add in seats with a load leg or euro routing. And super more interesting on how it didn't make a difference with the convertible. Any theories from people that actually understand physics?
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Carseat Crazy
    I also think it was interesting to see a study that did acknowledge rebound to be somewhat harmful. When the kids hit the seat back of their own seat, the HIC was higher. Not sure if that correlates to an injury in real life though.

I'm a little skeptical because of two main things - Robson Forensic is basically an expert witness firm. They report to investigations and trials for the purposes of giving an "expert opinion". So what was their motivation to do this study? They are paid by someone.
    Second, we don't know what those numbers mean. They could be insignificant and there is no base line to compare to.

I'd like to see a peer reviewed or government sponsored study showing more detail before making any assumptions.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
    Michelle

6. Thank You from:

What I hate about this kind of study and info is that people are trying to do the right thing to keep kids safe and a misinterpretation of this report will have people abandoning LATCH and maybe not installing their seats correctly.

We can only do so much.
    A five stepper and a booster rider

CPS Fanatic

Hmmm...I get latch super tight for infant seats.
    Love it.
    For my super heavy Fllo and such? Ha! No way. I do seatbelt there.

Also, sometimes you can't get latch OUT whereas a seatbelt is easy.
    But since the seatbelt just goes in the belt path, the seat is sometimes tighter with latch, which allows the seat to kind of be pulled down some. For me depends on the seat.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Moderator - CPS Technician

That is interesting, but as someone else mentioned, there is no way of knowing how credible the study is based on just the abstract. If the study gets published in a peer-reviewed journal with a good reputation, then that would be a different story. It would be interesting to read the whole study as well, and not just the abstract.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava