Latch vs seatbelt study rear end collisions

ADS

1mommy

Hmm interesting, it would be even more interesting if they could add in seats with a load leg or euro routing. And super more interesting on how it didn't make a difference with the convertible. Any theories from people that actually understand physics?

Hazelandlucy

I also think it was interesting to see a study that did acknowledge rebound to be somewhat harmful. When the kids hit the seat back of their own seat, the HIC was higher. Not sure if that correlates to an injury in real life though.

MotoMommaNH

I'm a little skeptical because of two main things - Robson Forensic is basically an expert witness firm. They report to investigations and trials for the purposes of giving an "expert opinion". So what was their motivation to do this study? They are paid by someone.
Second, we don't know what those numbers mean. They could be insignificant and there is no base line to compare to.

I'd like to see a peer reviewed or government sponsored study showing more detail before making any assumptions.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Baylor

What I hate about this kind of study and info is that people are trying to do the right thing to keep kids safe and a misinterpretation of this report will have people abandoning LATCH and maybe not installing their seats correctly.

We can only do so much.

bnsnyde

Hmmm...I get latch super tight for infant seats.
Love it.
For my super heavy Fllo and such? Ha! No way. I do seatbelt there.

Also, sometimes you can't get latch OUT whereas a seatbelt is easy.
But since the seatbelt just goes in the belt path, the seat is sometimes tighter with latch, which allows the seat to kind of be pulled down some. For me depends on the seat.

jjordan

That is interesting, but as someone else mentioned, there is no way of knowing how credible the study is based on just the abstract. If the study gets published in a peer-reviewed journal with a good reputation, then that would be a different story. It would be interesting to read the whole study as well, and not just the abstract.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC