Question Britax baby safe base & Mercedes C-class

E

Ela.Dijkstra

Hello,

We are looking to buy the Britax baby safe belted base to use in our Mercedes c-class S202 year 1997. We have contacted Britax to ask if it would fit as it wasn't listed on their website, they said it has not been tested in our car so they can't say whether it will fit or not... Does anyone have this car and know if this base fits?
There are no stores near us that sells it so we can not test before we buy unfortunately.

Thanks in Advance :)

ADS

1mommy

I'm not familiar with your car but I wanted to point out that Amazon has free returns. Also it sounds as if your car would not have tether anchors which are strongly recommended for forward facing, (required by law in Canada) so I would look into either getting a tether anchor retrofit kit (which are hard to find, and I'm not 100% sure your car is compatible with)...

And in case you didn't know, it is safest for your child to rear face as long as possible, American Academy of Pediatrics recommend rear facing until at least 2 or until your child outgrows the seat by height or weight, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends rear facing until the child is 4 or they outgrow the seat by height or by weight. A study showed that it was 500% safer for children ages 1-2 to be rear facing then forward facing. If you want more details on why, please ask.

katymyers

Hello,

We are looking to buy the Britax baby safe belted base to use in our Mercedes c-class S202 year 1997. We have contacted Britax to ask if it would fit as it wasn't listed on their website, they said it has not been tested in our car so they can't say whether it will fit or not... Does anyone have this car and know if this base fits?

There are no stores near us that sells it so we can not test before we buy unfortunately.

Are you in Europe? That seat is a European infant seat so I'm assuming baby isn't here yet, correct? My advice would be to find an online retailer that accepts returns to order from and then try to fit the seat in your car and return it if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Ela.Dijkstra

I'm not familiar with your car but I wanted to point out that Amazon has free returns. Also it sounds as if your car would not have tether anchors which are strongly recommended for forward facing, (required by law in Canada) so I would look into either getting a tether anchor retrofit kit (which are hard to find, and I'm not 100% sure your car is compatible with)...

And in case you didn't know, it is safest for your child to rear face as long as possible, American Academy of Pediatrics recommend rear facing until at least 2 or until your child outgrows the seat by height or weight, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends rear facing until the child is 4 or they outgrow the seat by height or by weight. A study showed that it was 500% safer for children ages 1-2 to be rear facing then forward facing. If you want more details on why, please ask.

It is actually an infant baby seat, from new born to 13kg so it is rear facing. And yes I do know rear facing is safer. Baby is not here yet (due November 2nd)

E

Ela.Dijkstra

Are you in Europe? That seat is a European infant seat so I'm assuming baby isn't here yet, correct? My advice would be to find an online retailer that accepts returns to order from and then try to fit the seat in your car and return it if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, sorry I am in the Netherlands. Baby is due November 2nd. From what I have seen, the websites do not accept returns of car seats unfortunately which is one of the main reasons I was hoping someone here would know if it will fit or not :)

Thanks for your reply

_juune

Hello,

Hi!

Actually if I'm not mistaken the Mercedes C class is on the belted base's car list which means that it has been tested and fits? :shrug-shoulders: Still I'd actually suggest that you do go somewhere where you can actually try the seat in the car, because the car list means that the seat can be safely installed in the car and doesn't take in the account practical things like i.e. if the front-to-back space taken up by the seat leaves enough space for anybody to sit in the seat in front of it.

E

Ela.Dijkstra

Hi!

Actually if I'm not mistaken the Mercedes C class is on the belted base's car list which means that it has been tested and fits? :shrug-shoulders: Still I'd actually suggest that you do go somewhere where you can actually try the seat in the car, because the car list means that the seat can be safely installed in the car and doesn't take in the account practical things like i.e. if the front-to-back space taken up by the seat leaves enough space for anybody to sit in the seat in front of it.

Some of the c-class is listed but not our exact car (s202 1998) I emailed the manufacturer and they checked their data base and said it has not been tested in our car. The closest place that sells it is 2hours away and I suffer badly from spd so I can not go in a car for that long unfortunately :(

E

Ela.Dijkstra

Hi!

The saloon/sedan is listed but not the estate/wagon which is our car.. that's not listed :(

_juune

The saloon/sedan is listed but not the estate/wagon which is our car.. that's not listed :(

My bad, it's really not there.
If you are on Facebook there are some pages where you could ask about whether anybody has had this combination, i.e. https://www.facebook.com/RearFacingTheWayForward?fref=ts , https://www.facebook.com/RearFacingToddlers?fref=ts , but there's no telling if anybody will know. [Added: I see that you already posted there :) ]

Are you set on this particular seat [the BabySafe]? If there are no stores local to you maybe somebody you know in the area has this or another 0-13 seat that you could try in the car and then if it fits buy it online?

Last edited:
E

Ela.Dijkstra

My bad, it's really not there.
If you are on Facebook there are some pages where you could ask about whether anybody has had this combination, i.e. https://www.facebook.com/RearFacingTheWayForward?fref=ts , https://www.facebook.com/RearFacingToddlers?fref=ts , but there's no telling if anybody will know. [Added: I see that you already posted there :) ]

Are you set on this particular seat [the BabySafe]? If there are no stores local to you maybe somebody you know in the area has this or another 0-13 seat that you could try in the car and then if it fits buy it online?

Hehe, yes I have already posted there, thanks though!

Yes, I am completely dead set on this seat and would be very upset if it doesn't fit. I've always wanted one with a base as I hate fiddling around with a belt to get baby in & out and it kills my back so one with a base is great.. this is the only based seat that we can afford as we're on a very tight budget. It's 2hour drive to the store that sells it and that is too far for me with SPD. Unfortunately I don't know anyone here lol.

It looks like I'm just going to have to buy it and see if it fits aha... Thanks for your help :) X

Adventuredad

The car fitting lists can pretty much be ignored. It's impossible for a car manufacturer to keep up with all brands and models. Especially since your car is quite old.

The car fitting lists actually go way back and were mainly used in the days when not all cars had seat belts. Without seats belts it was difficult to install the seat..... The car fitting lists today lack tons of models and brands. There are also lots of models included where a seat might theoretically fit but it's still not a good option. We see this more often in rear facing seats when a seat manufacturer will include small cars as suitable. The seats will fit but are sometimes poor choices.

A regular belted base, like for your Britax seat, will fit fine in pretty much any car small to large. The only possible problem are in middle rear of some cars. If the "hump" in the floor is too high support leg might not be short enough.

E

Ela.Dijkstra

The car fitting lists can pretty much be ignored. It's impossible for a car manufacturer to keep up with all brands and models. Especially since your car is quite old.

The car fitting lists actually go way back and were mainly used in the days when not all cars had seat belts. Without seats belts it was difficult to install the seat..... The car fitting lists today lack tons of models and brands. There are also lots of models included where a seat might theoretically fit but it's still not a good option. We see this more often in rear facing seats when a seat manufacturer will include small cars as suitable. The seats will fit but are sometimes poor choices.

A regular belted base, like for your Britax seat, will fit fine in pretty much any car small to large. The only possible problem are in middle rear of some cars. If the "hump" in the floor is too high support leg might not be short enough.

Ah that is good to know! Thank you. The middle seat is raised and has a "hump" in the floor but the baby will be going behind the passenger seat so that should be fine :). Thank you!

_juune

Yes, I am completely dead set on this seat and would be very upset if it doesn't fit. I've always wanted one with a base as I hate fiddling around with a belt to get baby in & out and it kills my back so one with a base is great.. this is the only based seat that we can afford as we're on a very tight budget. It's 2hour drive to the store that sells it and that is too far for me with SPD. Unfortunately I don't know anyone here lol.

Yup, bases are great! I didn't have one for DD's seat when she was a baby and then had one for DS's seat, and it was so much easier! Is Axkid BabyFix available in the Netherlands? I had that one for my son and the base [can be isofix-ed or fitted with the seatbelt] is very easy to use and also quite affordable where I am [~70 Eur]. Britax [Bio] Primo + base is very similar to the BabyFix, and supposedly more affordable that the BabyFix? Have you looked at that one?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC