Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Kellee

Looking to purchase midsize pickup truck

Hi! My husband and I would like to purchase a midsize pickup truck. We are from NYC so we've never purchased a car before. We have been doing a lot of research and we know that full size pickups are better for car seats but we are finding they are just more expensive than we want to spend. Also, in case this matters, since it is his first car purchase, he is very particular and wants only the off-road models like the Tacoma TRD pro, Chevy Colorado z71 (He wants to go "have fun" upstate from time to time). So, any midsize pickup trucks that will be able to safely install a rear facing infant seat? If you have multiple suggestions please include them all AND also please let me know which is the best choice of all the options in your professional opinion! Also, if it is totally unsafe for an infant to ride in a midsize pickup even with a double cab, please let me know that as well. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Looking to purchase midsize pickup truck

We've got a bigger truck so I don't know much about the small ones, but if you'll want to be towing a travel trailer at any point in time, don't get something small like the Tacoma.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

What about something like a Ford F-150 or a Dodge Ram 1500? They're bigger than a Tacoma or a Colorado but they aren't HUGE. They'd be a lot easier to fit a car seat into too and be more versatile than a smaller truck. A small truck is fine of course, if that's what you really want, just be aware of their limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get an F150 for about the same as a Taco. Just sayin. We've owned both and the Tacoma is a waste of money, not to mention a car seat nightmare.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Another F150 driver here. (it's my daily driver and I have the kids all the time, and live in a city) We didn't even look at the smaller/mid sized ones, but if I can be helpful showing you anything about mine, I'd be happy to.

You could look at the FX4 which is the more sporty version. (I have an XLT, one model below it)

I'd also consider your end use. We love ours, but geez, after planning to just tow our tent trailer and now thinking about moving up to a full travel trailer, we kind of wish we had just a hair more cargo (weight) capacity. We have the towing package but not max tow/max payload.

I find the trucks kind of a "once you have one, you find uses that would make a BIGGER one even better" type thing :P.

But I do really love it.
    Last edited by geekKT; 09-27-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Mom to J - 5.5 years - 48lbs in a Nautilus
    and A - 2.5 years - 28lbs in an TFP
    RXT and TB as spares, riding in an F150 and Focus

Carseat Crazy
    My DH & my dad have F150 FX4s. They are awesome for seats, and easy enough to drive in town. I live in a small city and have no trouble borrowing one of the trucks to go to bigger cities.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

Carseat Crazy

Another F150 owner here! We love it, it's not HUGE. Gas mileage is not bad. My husband takes it into downtown LA everyday - no issues with parking & the like.
    Allie, Mom to
    DS (1.6.2012) riding in a Frontier
    DD (2.2.2014) riding in a 4Ever & Boulevard

9. Thank You from:

Of the 2 you listed I'd go with the Tacoma. The Colorado is ok but simply can't compete in terms of performance, ground clearance, reliability and resale value. You might be able to find a good deal on a 2015 Tacoma as the 2016 is all new.

Having said that, if you don't mind going to a full size the F150 is beautiful and very nice. My dad has had one for 10 years. He just traded his 2014 for the new 2015 and loves it.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Seems like the F150, IF it really is the sameish price as the Tacoma, is the best choice. I find it hard to compare prices because of all the different packages and add ons but maybe once we get out car buying sea legs, all the information will start coming together and making sense.
    Thanks again!

One thing to note: You can safely fit a car seat rear facing in a smaller truck, as long as the manual allows it. In most cases that just means that the seats aren't sideways or some fold down models. If you are looking at 4 door cabs, most of these have 3 full seating positions in the back. So if you are set on something a little smaller, you should be able to find a set to work. You may just be limited to the more compact car seats. (http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ult...-size-matters/)
    Big Boy G: 11/6/2012, 53lb/49", Evenflo Procomfort RightFit HBB, Evenflo Big Kid HBB
    Little Bro C - 12/4/2015, 32lb/38" Graco Nautilus 65 Safety Surround, Graco Atlas 65
    Extra Seats: Graco Nautilus 65, Cosco Apt 50, Evenflo Maestro, Harmony Defender, Graco Turbobooster NBB, Cosco Rise NBB