8.5 year old and 15 month old traveling to Germany

paddlekat

We are traveling to Germany next Friday and I want to bring our Diono Ranier for the toddler and our Ride Safer vest for my older son. How hard are these to install on planes? Do airline seats have latch? Do German cars have latch? Do either have a tether anchor on the seats to install the vest properly?

Also I am thinking of forward facing the toddler on the longer leg of our flights simply to try to get him to watch a movie so he doesn't go bonkers. I would like to RF him on the shorter legs and while in cars in Germany. Will I have to rearrange the straps on the seat? Would this even make sense? I have no idea what we will be riding in for cars while there. There is a chance we may rent a car or we may ride in vehicles with family.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

krasota

Airlines have lap belts only. The Diono will require a belt extender for rearfacing on planes. And you may need the angle adjuster to get it to fit.

I'm not sure the vest has FAA approval yet. My 8yo fit in the seat with the lapbelt just fine when we flew earlier this month.

jjordan

I will preface this by saying that I've never been to Germany, so I'm not sure what is a typical vehicle situation there.

That being said, I would definitely 100% have the 8.5 year old just use the airplane seatbelt. I would most likely bring a Bubble Bum (or other backless booster) for the cars that you use at your destination. No need for a travel vest since a harness is not shown to be any safer than a booster for an 8.5 year old.

For the toddler, you'll want to see what the airline's rules are for using child seats. Traveling to another country means that the FAA rules are not necessarily going to be followed. It is very possible that you will not be allowed to use a rear facing seat while on the plane at all. Regardless, there is no way that I would bring a Radian as it is HUGE and HEAVY and the thought of lugging one of those on an cross-Atlantic flight and installing in (probably) multiple cars at the destination makes me want to lay down and sleep for a year. Not to mention, you almost certainly will have to make multiple adjustments when you're switching between rear facing and forward facing, including attaching and detaching the rear facing boot (and not losing it when it's detached), and adjusting the harness height. Also you'd probably want to take an angle adjuster since the Radian might not fit rear facing without it, depending on what kind of car you're using in Germany. (In general European cars are smaller...) So, if I were you I'd get an inexpensive travel seat like the Cosco Scenera next for the toddler for the trip.

Hope this helps!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do you know how to use a locking clip? I agree with everything jjordan said, except I might be a little hesitant to bring a Cosco Scenara Next if you aren't confident with a locking clip, since I hear many European cars don't have ALR belts.

http://youtu.be/eYezsPqhKa0

I think you'd have the same potential for possibly needing a locking clip with the Radian, if I am not mistaken.

I flew with a Roundabout when I traveled with my then-15-month-old. Super easy to install with LATCH, if it's available, but it is also the least expensive convertible that has lock-offs (if you need them). Not the lightest seat, but definitely lighter than he Radian, and super cushy and comfortable for my daughter. I as not able to rear-face it on our plane, but I have heard that it's possible on some planes.

jjordan

Do you know how to use a locking clip? I agree with everything jjordan said, except I might be a little hesitant to bring a Cosco Scenara Next if you aren't confident with a locking clip, since I hear many European cars don't have ALR belts.

http://youtu.be/eYezsPqhKa0

I think you'd have the same potential for possibly needing a locking clip with the Radian, if I am not mistaken.

I flew with a Roundabout when I traveled with my then-15-month-old. Super easy to install with LATCH, if it's available, but it is also the least expensive convertible that has lock-offs (if you need them). Not the lightest seat, but definitely lighter than he Radian, and super cushy and comfortable for my daughter. I as not able to rear-face it on our plane, but I have heard that it's possible on some planes.

That's a really good point! I wasn't thinking about locking seat belts. But yes, unless you're comfortable with locking clips, getting a Roundabout to travel with would be a really good idea. :)

xbimma

Agree with others that older kid can just use regular seat. did you purchase a full fare like everyone else? Just wanted to suggest to have the little one travel on your lap. Airlines provide seat belt extension. I know it's a long flight. If you have not done so you still have the options to call the airline and ask for a bassinet. Airlines have different policies regarding age, weight and height. But if available take it, we flew international when my daughter was 12 and 18 months, it was so convenient for her, she slept comfortably throughout.

Regarding German cars, we own 2 older BMW, 2003 SUV and 2006 sedan and both have latches (lower anchors and tether). I would be shocked if they sell cars without these days.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Seat belt loops that hold a lap child on are very dangerous and not allowed in the US and Canada because of that. We don't recommend flying with an unrestrained child, for the safety of both the child (in runway incidents and moderate to severe turbulence, most common causes of injury on planes, restraints are essential to keep children safe), and the car seat (which may be lost or damaged if checked.) The NTSB and FAA both recommend car seats be used for young children on planes.

I wanted to mention that for a rear facing child, the odds are pretty good that you could get a car with ISOFIX (lower anchors) in Germany which might improve the appeal of a light seat like the Scenera NEXT. And here's a video to show what's involved in using a locking clip- it's not that hard and you could practice at home :)
http://youtu.be/e2QKoVaHJAM

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
German law requires booster use until age 12 or 4'11". While your vehicle will probably have lower LATCH/ISOFIX anchors, top tether anchors are a lot less common, which rules out the vest.

If you're going to be traveling a lot by car, a high backed booster might be a better option than a backless, as it will provide better sleep support, and jet lagged kids tend to nap. If you get one that has a removable back, it will be easier to pack. Definitely keep the seat in your carry-on luggage, in case your checked bags don't arrive on time. The removable back can go in a checked suitcase if that's easier to manage.

Here's a list of recommended boosters to get your started (scroll down, boosters are the last category). Here's a list of IIHS best bets for boosters, as well.

paddlekat

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I ordered a Bubble Bum for my 8 year old which should be here today. If it somehow doesn't get delivered in time, we will pack his LBB. I wish I could swing a new lighter seat for my 15MO, but unfortunately we just can't. He sleeps extremely well in the Ranier and not so much in the seat we have in Dad's car. I can't remember the brand of that seat off the top of my head, but it is a beast to buckle and baby hates it, so it isn't an option.

Will write more in a bit about Ranier details.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC