Tethering a booster

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So in the carseatblog review of the KidFit, it said that Chicco still directs parents to seatbelt the seat in when not in use (even if LATCHed) because the top part of the seat can become a projectile (I think by rotating forward? I can't remember). The author commented that this would seem to be a problem with any booster that wasn't top-tethered.

This got me thinking...

1. Are there any dedicated boosters (as opposed to combination seats) that have the ability to be top-tethered?

2. Projectiles aside, would the overall effect of the tether provide a safety benefit or a safety problem? Neither? I can see how tethering would help prevent the weight of the booster from pushing the child forward, but I can also see how holding the booster back might make it more likely that the child would be thrown forward of the headwings. I'm not very knowledgeable of crash dynamics, though.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Baylor

I loved that using the Nautilus gave me a chance to have a tethered latched booster.

I don't know of any dedicated boosters that have a tether.

I would not buckle in a latched empty booster. The reason they are purchased is to avoid such attention IMO.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Recaro Start! Discontinued, though I think they have some similar models at Adaptivemall.com with extra positioning harnesses now.
Back in the olden days, boosters were supposed to weigh 9 pounds or less out of the theory that more weight would load the child in a crash, and the 'fix' was a top tether (Starts in the EU have no top tether, but there is a shoulderbelt clip that was mandatory, I don't know if it did something similar). (The Britax Bodyguard had lapbelt clips to get around the extra weight, and the Cosco Summit had a removable base to get the weight down, but they gave up on that quickly and just broke the weight rule because they just wanted to...it started a trend, now the rule is completely unenforced).
There's really no other booster with a top tether now, I wish they would, though, because people like their seats to be attached and like to use all the straps and hooks they can, while rebuckling a booster is... not done by most people most of the time.

I've probably written, "You don't want the booster attached to the car, you want it to ride with the child during the crash for better side protection" ten million times (to explain why they didn't have LATCH for the first few years), honestly I don't think it really matters if it's attached or not, from an injury perspective, but wouldn't it be nice to see some crash tests? Maybe some nice springy LATCH/Tether straps to hold the seat in the car AND ride with the child? (As if anyone would pay for a seat that would cost that much to engineer... well, maybe, I spent $330 WITH an AAA discount for my first Recaro!)

_juune

Maybe some nice springy LATCH/Tether straps to hold the seat in the car AND ride with the child?
I'm not sure about it's USA counterpart, but in Europe the isofix Recaro Monza has rigid anchors that kinda release in a crash, starts out with rigid bar attachment, if crashed with enough force the seat only remains attached to the isofix anchors by wires. Well, not really springy straps but something along the line ...

I've been wondering a lot about both isofix-ing and tethering boosters lately [kinda struggling to find the perfect booster for DD :( ]. Whenever I start to have doubts about whether it maybe actually makes the performance worse I always think about built in boosters like i.e. Volvo has; it's, uhh, totally fixed to the car and obviously Volvo thinks it's a good idea and on all things car safety I for some reason really trust Volvo ... [it might be kinda irrational ...]

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Isn't this kind of the thinking with Britax's "versa tether"?
Sort of, and the Diono thing for ff kids under 40lbs, and even the bent clips on the RideSafer.... those are to 'lengthen the ride down time', or slow the stopping time (like cupping and moving your hand to catch an egg, without those devices, the child stops too fast, like throwing an egg at a brick wall).
Some rigid LATCHes, as mentioned above, also pivot and deform to keep that child from stopping too fast.
Some boosters don't have LATCH that tightens at all, and Graco's first once didn't really STAY tight, I don't know if they crash tested better that way? Graco caved to complaints and made their LATCH on the Affix stay tight, the others just said it wasn't necessary to tighten, so who knows?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Interesting! So if *you* had a combination seat that you were using as a booster, would you tether it in booster mode?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Part of the reason for the Start tether was that it folded. If you called about bypassing the shoulder belt clamps, the answer was that you could, but only if the tether was in use to keep the back from folding in a crash due to its own weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC