Rental cars in France, and questions about British Airways

Cnidaria

A (U.S.) friend is traveling to France with her 25 lb, 15 month old boy. Some questions. I know it's technically illegal for her to use a U.S. seat in France but let's just take it as a given that she's going to use her U.S. seat for this brief trip.

-Are LATCH and ISOFIX intercompatible? Will she be able to install her seat's LATCH connectors onto ISOFIX anchors?

-Do French rental cars all have ISOFIX anchors? Are the borrowing to install in the middle issues the same?

-Do French rental cars' seatbelts reliably have switchable retractors? Is there a need to bring and have practiced installing with a locking clip?

-The seat she brings will need to conform to British Airways' specifications. Normally the Scenera NEXT would be my go-to recommendation for a 15 month old, but he has to be FF on the plane per BA. Just about all 15 month olds should fit FF in a NEXT, huh? And I imagine the NEXT should be able to fit in BA's footprint requirements. But if they're going to do this type of trip again, I guess a Guide 65 would be good since it could FF longer.

Thanks for your help!

ADS

Cnidaria

In further reading I now understand that LATCH and ISOFIX are intercompatible, but that the latter did not become standard in the EU until 2013 and so might not be present in all rental cars.

I am still very interested to know whether French cars typically have switchable retractors.

_juune

In further reading I now understand that LATCH and ISOFIX are intercompatible, but that the latter did not become standard in the EU until 2013 and so might not be present in all rental cars.

I am still very interested to know whether French cars typically have switchable retractors.

Althought I'm not in France but elsewhere in Europe, I'd say that locking retractors are unlikely.

Also about "borrowing" anchors to install in the middle -- am I right that in the USA it's usually in the car's manual if it's permitted? As Euro seats all have rigid isofix [=fixed spacing] I don't think any car manual will contain info about whether borrowing is permitted because it's simply not possible with Euro seats.

Isofix [lower anchors] has been mandatory for new car *models* since around 2009 or something [was it 2007 maybe? I always forget], but for all new cars the requirement came later; 2013 is when TT anchor point became mandatory. Since rentals tend to be on the newer side, there's a good chance lower anchors will be there.

BananaBoat

My answer is not specific to France but Europe in general. I would bring and know how to use a locking clip in case you get an older rental car. This year was the first year we've gone where we had ISOFIX in the rental (w're last in Europe in 2013) and needed a locking clip every time before that - including in taxis and family's cars.

meljc

Don't count on locking retractors or top tethers, but every car we've used in Europe in the last three years has had lower anchors. She should pack a locking clip and know how to use it just in case, but I really wouldn't be worried. ISOFIX and LATCH are compatible for lower anchors, the primary difference in usage is the lack of a top tether and that's irrelevant for RF.

No issues using a correctly fitted and installed US seat for a short holiday.

My 4yo is 38.25" and just outgrowing the NEXT FF. Once purchased, send the model number and serial number to Dorel and they will supply a much-needed long crotch strap.

Cnidaria

Thank you for your input, everyone!!! I really appreciate it.

Yes, that had occurred to me that FF in the NEXT on the plane would be against mfr. instructions. Sigh to BA.

Has anyone actually tried to use the NEXT on British Airways? It fits within their 17.5" width requirement but it takes up a surprising amount of depth! It would be helpful to know if they have accepted it. I can't imagine it wouldn't fit on a normal plane seat FF. It certainly fits fine RF.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's really a very compact seat front to back.

I few British Midlands (same restrictions as BA) and had no problems as long as I forward faced, and that was with a little Britax. SAS airlines said they had size restrictions, and they were fine with a True Fit (and seemed to be telling a mom she should have her young child harnessed). So I'd be surprised if size is an issue.

But I know direction will be.

Wendy

isofix and latch are the same thing and be careful who drive the car in the french law if you or your husband sign for a car it only this person is insured, it mean when th other person take the car and had a damage the insurance compagny doesn't pay all damage the best is to be insured (you and your huseband at the same time) and for the just ask : J'aimerai avoir un véhicule avec isofix car j'ai des enfants s'il vous plais? (I talk french because I'm in the french side of switzerland and not far away from the french border)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC