Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Help! Best RF Convertible car seat for tall kiddos

I need help finding the best RF convertible car seat for my 1 year old. He is currently tall for his age and so are all of his siblings. I want to find something he can stay in through his car seat years and something that will keep him RF and then later on in a 5 point as long as possible. We have bought a Radian in the past for my daughter and are leaning that way again. Any other suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Help! Best RF Convertible car seat for tall kiddos

Radian's still ok, though there are quite a few much taller ones now, like the Click Tight Britaxes, or the Graco 4Ever (which has nice low sides like you are used to in the Radian, but I'd say a tad easier to install in more cars and comfier forward facing).
    Here's a good review to give you some ideas... http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogco...ded-car-seats/
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Unregistered

I was looking at the reviews and it looks like forward facing the height is is quite a bit taller on the radian. Am I missing somthing?

Moderator - CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was looking at the reviews and it looks like forward facing the height is is quite a bit taller on the radian. Am I missing somthing?
    Which seat?
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Carseat Crazy

Anyone know why the Britax Click Tights have higher harness heights than the non-CT?
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

Unregistered

Britaxes and 4ever says less than 49
    Radian says less than 57

If this is the case my kiddo is likely to out grown it by 4 or 5 based on my older two. My 5 year old DD is 50 inches and still has room in her radian.

I took a look at the carseatblog reviews and I think I see the discrepancy you refer to. If I am not mistaken, you are referring to the standing height limits -- is that right? The Radian has a forward-facing standing height limit of 57" versus another seat like the Boulevard Clicktight having a forward-facing standing height limit of 49". This makes it look like the Radian will accommodate a much taller child, but in actuality the harness height is the limiting factor for most kids. The Radian's top harness height is 17.5", whereas the 4ever's is 18", the Boulevard Clicktight's is 18.5", etc. Since the harness has to be at or above the shoulders when forward-facing, an extra inch of shoulder height can make a bigger difference in when the seat is outgrown than a standing height limit. Many kids outgrow their seats by shoulder height well before the standing height limits are reached.
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding in a Diono Everett booster, in a Chicco MyFit in BPB mode, and a Graco Slimfit in BPB mode)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding FF in a Graco Milestone, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)

9. Thank You from:

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    I took a look at the carseatblog reviews and I think I see the discrepancy you refer to. If I am not mistaken, you are referring to the standing height limits -- is that right? The Radian has a forward-facing standing height limit of 57" versus another seat like the Boulevard Clicktight having a forward-facing standing height limit of 49". This makes it look like the Radian will accommodate a much taller child, but in actuality the harness height is the limiting factor for most kids. The Radian's top harness height is 17.5", whereas the 4ever's is 18", the Boulevard Clicktight's is 18.5", etc. Since the harness has to be at or above the shoulders when forward-facing, an extra inch of shoulder height can make a bigger difference in when the seat is outgrown than a standing height limit. Many kids outgrow their seats by shoulder height well before the standing height limits are reached.
    I am a little confused then. Like I mentioned before my daughter is 50 inches and still have room in the radial but she would have passed the max height on the other ones. So can you not use the seat any more once you have reached the max height?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Radian becomes a booster, so it's got higher height limits (honestly, though, a very poor booster, and no way will it work till 57 inches, it allows a lot of slack to stay in the seatbelt, and the back is way too short for my 57" inch kiddo right now, who's a tall 9 year old!) The harness is roughly the same as the other seats, so generally they all accommodate very tall kids to 4ish, and average kids to 6 ish, and petite kids to 7+.
    I forgot to mention that these other seats have higher height limits for rearfacing mode. The Radian is short because it only allows RF to 1.5" below the top of the seatback, and it's only 25ish inches tall. Other seats allow to 1 inch below the top of the headrest when most extended RF, so allow RF more to like 4+ rather than 3+ for the Radian.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

I am a little confused then. Like I mentioned before my daughter is 50 inches and still have room in the radial but she would have passed the max height on the other ones. So can you not use the seat any more once you have reached the max height?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The max height is a guide usually. The height that is important is the child's torso, that the harness is at or above their shoulders FF.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

I am a little confused then. Like I mentioned before my daughter is 50 inches and still have room in the radial but she would have passed the max height on the other ones. So can you not use the seat any more once you have reached the max height? Posted via Mobile Device Posted via Mobile Device
    Sorry! It looks like I was writing my post when you posted about your daughter's 50" height, so I didn't see that.

You'd have to double-check with the manufacturer about the strictness of their standing height limits, but my understanding is that if your daughter were in a Britax, for example, she would have outgrown it once she hit 49". A lot depends on how "leggy" your children are. If a kid carries more height in their legs, then standing height limits will be reached faster. If they carry more height in their torso, then shoulder height limits will be reached faster.

Like Julie said, though, it is unlikely for any child to get all the way to 57" in a Radian.
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding in a Diono Everett booster, in a Chicco MyFit in BPB mode, and a Graco Slimfit in BPB mode)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding FF in a Graco Milestone, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)

CPS Fanatic

I would go with one of the new Graco ones, especially for tall kids.

Radian FF won't last too long.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Unregistered

I am sending an email to Graco and Britax about the strictness of the standing height. I am not sure what to do. One of my biggest concerns is keeping him in a 5 point as long as possible, without having to buy another super expensive seat later. I am hoping this is our last expensive car seat purchase. I am wondering if I maybe I should buy my dd a Frontier and have my son use the radian until he ready to FF. By then she will be ready for a high back booster. Sadly the my only hold back is DD is really attached to her flower car. And I am not sure DH will be crazy about him in the flower seat.

I also want the option to be able to fit 3 across if need be.

My goal for the 5 point harness is close to 7. We made it with my oldest in Frontier. He was 54 inches. We handed his Frontier down to my 3 year old that Marathon was expiring and he had almost out grown it.

I wish it seemed like a more cut and dry answer.

Can I ask why your goal for a 5 point harness is age 7? We have no evidence that a harness is safer than a booster for a child who is at least 4 years old AND will sit properly in a booster (which usually happens older than 4, maybe age 5 for really motivated, mature kids and age 6 for average kids).

That is a good idea to ask Britax and Graco about the standing height limit. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

17. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    I would go with one of the new Graco ones, especially for tall kids.

Radian FF won't last too long.
    Both my daughters fit in the Radian until they were 5 1/2 yrs. And I recall they outgrew by weight because I had to stop using LATCH at 40# and couldn't install it tight enough with a seat belt.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

Unregistered
    I was under impression that a 5 point harness is safer? No? Also I feel like I have better control over kid error if they are in a 5 point. 7 has just been the max with my tallest kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    Can I ask why your goal for a 5 point harness is age 7? We have no evidence that a harness is safer than a booster for a child who is at least 4 years old AND will sit properly in a booster (which usually happens older than 4, maybe age 5 for really motivated, mature kids and age 6 for average kids).

That is a good idea to ask Britax and Graco about the standing height limit. I'd be interested to hear what they say.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

I was under impression that a 5 point harness is safer? No? Also I feel like I have better control over kid error if they are in a 5 point. 7 has just been the max with my tallest kiddo.

Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device
    A 5-point harness is unquestionably safer for a child younger than 4. For a child 4 and older, we don't have a comparison of the safety of a harness vs. a booster. I have heard that there is some increased risk of submarining for children under 40 pounds, so to be sure, I usually suggest waiting to booster until a child is at least 4 and weighs at least 40 pounds. But, if a child (who is at least 4) can sit properly in a booster and it properly positions the seatbelt on him/her, then it is considered to be equally safe to a harness. Usually 4 year olds are too wiggly for this, but some 5 year olds and lots of 6 year olds are fine in boosters. In my experience, having an older sibling to model good booster behavior can help, too.