Doubling down on a car seat decision?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Ok, let's say you find yourself in a situation where you need to buy two or three car seats at the same time. You've done your research, you have weighed the pros and cons of each decision and you have determined which car seats you think you can live with and will last the longest.

Do you buy two of the same seat? The risks to this are that you've "doubled down" on a decision and if you or your kid end up hating the seat, you will hate it twice as often...and if there's a recall, twice as many seats will be affected.

Or do you diversify? The risk being that you might really prefer one over the other (or one might be outgrown faster than the other) and wish you had bought two of the same.

Thoughts? Experiences?

ADS

jjordan

Well, the only times I've bought two seats at once for the same kid, it's been a situation where we primarily use one car and the other only occasionally. So we've always done a "premium" seat for the primary car and a less expensive one for the secondary car.

One thing to consider is your needs down the line. For instance, would it be helpful to have a lightweight seat for plane travel? Might you need something narrow for 3 across?

You could get one car seat that you think you'll love and live with it a few months before buying the other. If you've loved the first as much as you expected, get another one, and if not, buy another of your top choices.

seb3244

Well, the only times I've bought two seats at once for the same kid, it's been a situation where we primarily use one car and the other only occasionally. So we've always done a "premium" seat for the primary car and a less expensive one for the secondary car. One thing to consider is your needs down the line. For instance, would it be helpful to have a lightweight seat for plane travel? Might you need something narrow for 3 across? You could get one car seat that you think you'll love and live with it a few months before buying the other. If you've loved the first as much as you expected, get another one, and if not, buy another of your top choices.

Great advice! What 2 seats are you thinking and how old is your child?

bnsnyde

LOL, I always double down because I want them to match.
I've doubled down a lot. We still have a bunch of other seats. Plenty of diversification.
And I always narrow it down to the best possible choice, so usually that leaves 1 seat. Then I buy however many I need. I like the Clek Olli for the spare van so I bought a bunch of those. We don't even have the van yet. But I want to be ready. They won't expire until my kids have outgrown them.

aporthole

I've never bought more than 1 of any seat. I diversify to fill specific needs. I like Cadillac seats in the primary vehicle (comfy, nice padding, easy to use) and lightweight/travel friendly for the secondary vehicle. Examples would be a Britax Frontier in one car and Evenflo Maestro in 2nd car. Britax Parkway SGL in one, Clek Olli or RSTV in the 2nd.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Great advice! What 2 seats are you thinking and how old is your child?

My older daughter is currently 2.5 years and my younger daughter will be 3 months next week. I think we will probably transition the younger one to convertible seats (out of an infant seat) sometime between March and July of next year. My in-laws do childcare and we have two equally-used cars, so we'd be looking at 3 more car seats.

Right now, I am really liking the Graco 4ever -- it would keep my older daughter RF longer, but it would also transition to a booster later on. I would be buying them at the trade-in event this winter at BRU. I suppose I could buy one at the start of the event and then use it for a couple weeks before deciding whether to buy a second one before the event ends...

It's just that some of my reservations wouldn't be immediately apparent -- like the fact that the seat has to be on recline 4 when used FF with a kid under 40 lbs (it just brings the seat pan SO close to the front seat back and I worry about kicking -- my kids are pretty small, so they will likely be turned at 4 years old and not hit 40 lbs until 6 or so...).

I also will admit that I just like car seats and want to have lots of different ones. ;-)

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd say buy one sooner rather than later and try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seb3244

My older daughter is currently 2.5 years and my younger daughter will be 3 months next week. I think we will probably transition the younger one to convertible seats (out of an infant seat) sometime between March and July of next year. My in-laws do childcare and we have two equally-used cars, so we'd be looking at 3 more car seats. Right now, I am really liking the Graco 4ever -- it would keep my older daughter RF longer, but it would also transition to a booster later on. I would be buying them at the trade-in event this winter at BRU. I suppose I could buy one at the start of the event and then use it for a couple weeks before deciding whether to buy a second one before the event ends... It's just that some of my reservations wouldn't be immediately apparent -- like the fact that the seat has to be on recline 4 when used FF with a kid under 40 lbs (it just brings the seat pan SO close to the front seat back and I worry about kicking -- my kids are pretty small, so they will likely be turned at 4 years old and not hit 40 lbs until 6 or so...). I also will admit that I just like car seats and want to have lots of different ones. ;-)

Cool I have been eyeing this seat too! I like car seats too and always want to buy different ones haha! If you by the 4ever though that makes it so you don't need to buy more later. Except of course for other vehicles.

Awesome that your in laws can do child care! And your daughters sound the same distance apart as mine are 23.5 months apart? Congrats on your dd2!

Since my 15 month old just outgrew her britax b safe we only have one spare car seat so I think I will sell the Chico next fit and buy a really nice seat like a clek fllo for dd2. But 1st I must look and try out this Graco 4ever.

Does anyone know if it is manufactured in the U.S. Or Canada ?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have a few thoughts about the 4ever.

One is independent booster use. I remember when the Nautilus came out and everyone was so excited, me included, but then when kids were outgrowing the harness several years later it was discovered that while it gave good booster fit it was really hard for kids to use independently in some cars. I'd like to see some 6 year olds using it as a booster, and since it's fairly new I haven't seen that yet. (Because obviously most people are buying them for babies.)

The other is it being viewed as a 'baby seat'. One 'pro' to purchasing either a more 'grown up' combination seat like the Frontier or Nautilus or dedicated booster is that at a certain point (much earlier than many of us like) boosters go away for many (most, sadly) young elem aged kids. That leaves kids like mine who are still in a booster and socially elements come into play. To still be in a 'baby seat' that they've been using since they were 6 months old could be very difficult socially. I have found with my own, and with other kids I know or have worked with in a CPS capacity, that getting rid of the 'baby seat' and using something new can definitely help.

So I personally would buy a 4ever if it was in my budget and I wanted a plushy, long lasting convertible, but I wouldn't stretch my budget to purchase it for the booster component. If a parent asked, I'd suggest a less expensive convertible followed by a comb seat or dedicated booster when the time came.

Not that anyone asked, LOL, but there's my $.02 on the subject of the 4ever!

Baylor

I loved my nautilus as booster and even a backless. I don't have a need for a 4ever but would have bought one in a minute if they were available when I needed one. I love that one time purchase. And I have really loved my Graco seats and the customer service.

I don't ever buy two at once unless I need 2 full time at once.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks CPTDMom! I hadn't thought about the ability of a young kid to buckle the booster.

I did think about the "baby seat" thing. It's good to know that that's a legitimate concern.

Not having or being around any elementary-aged kids makes it hard to plan ahead!

gigi

IME quality dedicated boosters are almost all easier to use, more comfortable for big kids and fit better. Also, not all harness seats are compatible with the same vehicle seat in booster mode. I would focus on harnessing with this purchase and leave booster for the future.

I love my CT Boulevard for my 4 year old, she is 43"+ and 40ish lbs. She has PLENTY of room for growth and is very comfortable in it. When she is ready for a booster, I will buy one that fits the vehicle and fits her well.

In your shoes I would buy one seat AWESOME for FF as well as RF, like the CT and one that is really great for RF.

Boosters aren't that expensive and are easy to buy in the future.

jjordan

I will say that now that I have booster kids, I realize that portability is a great asset for boosters. My kids very rarely got transported by other people when they were in harnessed seats, but within the past few years it's happening a lot and I have recently thought about buying yet another booster (we have 3 plus a combination seat) so that we can more easily have boosters to send with kids for carpooling. So yeah... small boosters are inexpensive and convenient, and the multi-function seats are really not what I'm looking for for my booster kids. I don't think that I realized that until my kids entered the booster stage of life. :)

meljc

Assuming no major compatibility issues, there's nothing inherently wrong with doubling down. There's only one seat to learn how to install (so helpful for grandparents, nannies and even my husband who rarely installs our seats). Each seat has its own tricks, so not having to become intimate with a few different ones is helpful. We inadvertently TRIPLED down on the Nextfit (purchased all three on separate occasions) and I rarely regret it.

seb3244

Assuming no major compatibility issues, there's nothing inherently wrong with doubling down. There's only one seat to learn how to install (so helpful for grandparents, nannies and even my husband who rarely installs our seats). Each seat has its own tricks, so not having to become intimate with a few different ones is helpful. We inadvertently TRIPLED down on the Nextfit (purchased all three on separate occasions) and I rarely regret it.

We have a next fit as our extra spare seat and while I love it ff for my 5.5 yr old niece rear facing a 3 yr old is hard because the sides are so deep! Can't wait for our new harness to get here from Clek so we can put our fllo back together (she got car sick in it so the harness had to be replaced and we had to take the seat completely apart to wash the cover) and rear face more comfortably.

Op even if you double down buy one seat 1st, use it then get another of the same seat or get the 2nd seat you were considering if you don't like the 1st

katymyers

Personally, I have yet to find a combination seat I actually like as a booster at all. They all end up being bulky and awkward with compatibility issues. I actually don't love most convertibles forward facing either. For the most part I've used our convertibles until they were outgrown rear facing and then switched to a combination and then switched to a dedicated booster when my child becomes ready. There are actually very few seats that I haven't bought two of, but that's because my kids are so close in age and I like them all to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie123

You know you're never going to use a seat forever. You HAVE to have the new seats! Actually I wish there was a version of the 4Ever that didn't booster so it could be cheaper. I hate the high sides on the Clones. I'm thinking of getting the 4Ever or the Fllo if Griffin outgrows the Peg very soon.

ANyhoo. I think I would get the preferred seat and see how you like it and how it works out before decided on the others.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow! There's so much I have to learn about boosters! I guess I just figured it was a "best bet" booster and that was the end of the story...

The BLVD CT is one that we already have -- and that I kind of hate :)duck:) . My disappointment with that seat (after being super excited about it) is kind of the reason I am nervous about getting two of a seat I haven't used before.

Maybe I will get one 4ever and one of something else at the trade-in -- then wait until I have used the 4ever for awhile before deciding whether to get a second one.

gigi

My advice is use the seat FF too. At the very least do the install and put your older daughter in it to check angle and compatibility with the vehicle.

Booster compatibility and fit are very complicated, much more so than harness seats. This has been my biggest surprise in the cold restraint world.

Athena

We almost always double down, but I usually buy one first to try it before buying the second. I wish I had enough options to be able to have the luxury of having more variety, but I haven't felt like I've had a lot of good options and that's only gotten harder with boosters and all the compatibility issues, so the bottom line is I'm thrilled to find one seat that works and usually buy a second of it. And it's easier in the sense you get to know how to use that seat really well.

Wow! There's so much I have to learn about boosters! I guess I just figured it was a "best bet" booster and that was the end of the story...

So, so much harder and more complicated than harnessed seats. I had no idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC