Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Unregistered

is there anyway to properly secure a phone in the car?

are there any mounts that adequately secure a phone to the car? DH insists on taking his out of his pocket (he usually puts in the cup holder) despite the projectile risk. we do not have a center console and he won't use the glovebox.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Re: is there anyway to properly secure a phone in the car?

I don't know that there are any that are crash-tested, and there isn't any standard that I'm aware of.

And I'm thinking any mount that is heavy duty enough to hold the phone, is likely to become it's own projectile.

Not sure what the best solution is.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar

When the center console is unavailable, I put mine in the storage in the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I absolutely love this one: http://carseatblog.com/33233/scosche-magicmount-review/

Will it hold in a serious crash? I doubt it, but there's no guarantee any of them will.

I cut down on unnecessary projectiles, but some I consider "necessary," like my phone, a water bottle/coffee cup, books/iPads that the kids are using, etc. So I do the best I can with what I've got.

My iphone charger holds on pretty tight. Sometimes I forget it is hooked up and can really feel how well it holds. I saw one of those "hacks" where you thread a thick rubber band through the a/c slots and put the phone in the band. I actually tried it and it really works. I just don't ever remember to use it!

http://mostepicstuff.com/wp-content/...ubber-Band.jpg

I have never thought about my phone being a projectile. Does anyone use the magnetic one for a lifeproof case on an iPhone?

What should I do about toys that could be projectiles? Like does anyone here give their child a toy in the car? Or a DVD player that is strapped to a head rest for long car rides?

Thanks
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seb3244 View Post
    I have never thought about my phone being a projectile. Does anyone use the magnetic one for a lifeproof case on an iPhone?

What should I do about toys that could be projectiles? Like does anyone here give their child a toy in the car? Or a DVD player that is strapped to a head rest for long car rides? Thanks
    I don't have a Lifeproof case, but it looks pretty standard. I can't imagine it wouldn't work.

As for other projectiles...I'm sure there are some parents out there who never let their children have toys in cars, who keep their purse in the trunk or buckled in every time, who have no drinks in the car, no umbrella, etc. But I'm not one of them. Our car has stuff, and my kids have stuff, whether it's a book, an iPad, a toy, whatever. We have umbrellas and flashlights in storage compartments in the door. I have water bottles in the cup holders. I have a box of Kleenex on the floor. My purse is usually on the floor or in the passenger seat (usually not buckled in because I forget or get lazy), etc.

Yes, those things could all become projectiles in a crash, but I'm assuming that responsibility. I think there's a big difference between an iPhone and an unsecured tool box in an open cargo area.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    I don't have a Lifeproof case, but it looks pretty standard. I can't imagine it wouldn't work.

As for other projectiles...I'm sure there are some parents out there who never let their children have toys in cars, who keep their purse in the trunk or buckled in every time, who have no drinks in the car, no umbrella, etc. But I'm not one of them. Our car has stuff, and my kids have stuff, whether it's a book, an iPad, a toy, whatever. We have umbrellas and flashlights in storage compartments in the door. I have water bottles in the cup holders. I have a box of Kleenex on the floor. My purse is usually on the floor or in the passenger seat (usually not buckled in because I forget or get lazy), etc.

Yes, those things could all become projectiles in a crash, but I'm assuming that responsibility. I think there's a big difference between an iPhone and an unsecured tool box in an open cargo area.
    I have basically the same approach to projectiles. When we're on a long trip, we pack carefully (heavy stuff on the bottom, light stuff on the top, mostly light/soft things in the passenger compartment with heavier stuff on the floor if necessary). I also buckle in the kids' backpacks in the third row between two kids so that they can reach their stuff but the backpacks won't fly around in a crash. But we have books and small toys out and things (like my purse and kleenex box) on the floor regularly.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava