Question 2012 Odyssey car seats

M

Minivan mama

We recently bought a 2012 Honda Odyssey (LOVE it!). We have a 20 month old in a rear facing car seat and a newborn on the way. I'm wondering where the safest place is for both of my babies. :) I originally thought putting newborn in the second row center in a captains chair and older baby in the 3rd row center would be best, but I just finished reading that 3rd row may not be as safe as second row. I guess it just makes me nervous having any of my kids sitting on an outer seat. What are your thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

jjordan

I am unaware of any studies showing different injury rates for 2nd vs. 3rd row. Do you have links for what you read? There may well be stats out there that I haven't heard about.

There are stats showing that center is safer than outboard. However, personally if I were putting two children in a 2012 Odyssey (which is a VERY SAFE vehicle), I'd put them wherever was most convenient for me, which would have both of them in the 2nd row. It's a matter of doing a cost-benefit analysis and deciding if the small increased safety ("benefit") from putting a child center vs. outboard is worth the extra "cost" of the time and effort that it will take to buckle children into two different rows for every single trip. If the older child were enough older to buckle him/herself independently, then perhaps I'd do something different. But for ME personally, I'd feel like having both in the second row was enough easier that it was worth the trade-off of possibly being slightly less safe in certain crashes.

Hope that helps!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC