Backseat organization?

thekatie

Does anyone have any experience with a backseat organizer... thingy? Like the Diono "Travel Pal Car Storage" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N...l=1&dpID=31hZWX0yFRL&ref=plSrch&pi=SX200_QL40) or others like it. Some say they can be seat belted in, some don't specify.

We're driving to Disney World from Memphis in a month. I'm DREADING this, have said for years never again, but with plane tickets what they are, it is what it is. We'll be taking DH's car because it gets almost twice the MPG as mine, but it doesn't have backseat cup holders. Not one. It's a Subaru Impreza hatchback.

I know, I know. Projectiles. I'm not saying projectiles aren't a risk, but in the interest of not leaving my kids on the side of the interstate somewhere in Mississippi, we'll be risking some projectiles, including drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

Athena

Does anyone have any experience with a backseat organizer... thingy? Like the Diono "Travel Pal Car Storage" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N...l=1&dpID=31hZWX0yFRL&ref=plSrch&pi=SX200_QL40)

We have that exact one. It's okay, haven't found anything better. We only use it occasionally, on 2+ hour road trips. It fits in the middle spot, between the kids' seats, but it doesn't fit a lot for 2 kids and would work a lot better if it had a lengthwise divider to keep their stuff on their sides and give it more structure. We've never used the drink holders for drinks as their seats have had cup holders for that. Do you not have a child seat with at least one cup holder? I don't think I'd be able to travel without that.

P.S. I was worried about projectiles, but sometimes one has to compromise. I don't even like using water bottles in the car, but dehydration isn't good for them either. :eek:

bubbaray

Costco here sold one last year that could be belted in and had a cooler feature. However, it takes up a whole seat so in a smaller car I would get an organizer that hangs on the back of the front seats

thekatie

we used this for my daughter when we drove cross country, my car has rear cupholders available but she couldn't reach them rfing in her seat but this she could. Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Universal-Flexible-Support-Bracket/dp/B00TEP5E62/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1442021295&sr=8-4&keywords=car+cup+holder
Neat! Thank you
We have that exact one. It's okay, haven't found anything better. We only use it occasionally, on 2+ hour road trips. It fits in the middle spot, between the kids' seats, but it doesn't fit a lot for 2 kids and would work a lot better if it had a lengthwise divider to keep their stuff on their sides and give it more structure. We've never used the drink holders for drinks as their seats have had cup holders for that. Do you not have a child seat with at least one cup holder? I don't think I'd be able to travel without that. P.S. I was worried about projectiles, but sometimes one has to compromise. I don't even like using water bottles in the car, but dehydration isn't good for them either. :eek:
Nope, J1 is in just the seatbelt now in DH's car, and J2 is in a Radian! We had a Pria, but it was crashed, and then a Pioneer, but we all hated it and got rid of it. My car has a pull down cup holder thing and the boys always use that. We're rarely in DH's car as a family, except maybe 20 minute rides into town.

Costco here sold one last year that could be belted in and had a cooler feature. However, it takes up a whole seat so in a smaller car I would get an organizer that hangs on the back of the front seats
In the same vein of worrying about projectiles, isn't there a thing about not putting stuff on the back of a vehicle seat? Or am I making that up?

bubbaray

I wouldn't hang a cast iron fry pan, but one of those organizers with a small box of Kleenex, some snacks, water bottle wouldn't worry me. Others will probably disagree. Fwiw, we do lots of long road trips and there is definitely a practical aspect to surviving them.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't hang a cast iron fry pan, but one of those organizers with a small box of Kleenex, some snacks, water bottle wouldn't worry me. Others will probably disagree. Fwiw, we do lots of long road trips and there is definitely a practical aspect to surviving them.

I agree. They don't want tons of pressure or a live cow hanging off the back, but something around the same weight as what you could fit into a seatback pocket? Fine.

thekatie

I agree. They don't want tons of pressure or a live cow hanging off the back, but something around the same weight as what you could fit into a seatback pocket? Fine.
I'm glad I'm not making it up at least :p

Okay, so water bottles fit in those type things? I'll have to Google. I just snagged some 600ml Camelbak bottles on super clearance and they've become the boys designated water bottles (in the hopes they leave MY bottles alone). They're not giant, but they're not too slim either.

Although... J2 wouldn't be able to reach, and it might cause ...friction... if J1 always has to be grabbing the bottle for him, and putting it away. Hmm.

((I really hate driving long distances with the boys. Why do plane tickets have to cost so much??))

bubbaray

If you wanted to try it out for cheap, try a closet door shoe organizer from the dollar store. Same concept, cheap and might be all you need

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A lot of times I keep water bottles up front and just hand them back as needed. Our arms reach enough that no one's out of position. If there's a kid I can't reach (like the one in the third row), I use another kid as a pass-through.

Athena

Although... J2 wouldn't be able to reach, and it might cause ...friction... if J1 always has to be grabbing the bottle for him, and putting it away. Hmm.

I was just wondering that, if they'd be able to reach.

Using our cupholderless (Look, I made up a compound word :D) incognito, DD can set her bottle on the seat beside her. Just thinking that might be another option with a non-leaking bottle.

I feel your pain about road trips... our last one DD threw up less than an hour into it. I hope yours goes better!

gigi

Is adding cupholders to your child restraints an option? Many have them available for purchase.

Otherwise, I would get one that fits on the middle seat and buckles in.

thekatie

Is adding cupholders to your child restraints an option? Many have them available for purchase. Otherwise, I would get one that fits on the middle seat and buckles in.
The Radians have one, but I've never, ever been able to get it attached right.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have one of these I can loop to a headrest or handle, but I put a much bigger drink in it Amazon.com: ChicoBag Bottle Sling rePETe with Pouch, Tourmaline, 4.5 x 10-Inch Bag/4.5 x 6-Inch Pouch Good for walking around with, too.
No other real ideas, I'm a fan of backseat organizers hanging off the back of the front seats, though lately without road trips it's just a hanging trash bag (and even on road trips, a trashbag is a necessity, dump it out with every gas stop).
One other thing, if you use ipads and stuff, maybe have an extra rechargeable battery pack or 6 on hand, in case the plug in the car is too far away or you need a GPS there or whatever.
I was thinking, yeah, the Diono has a cup holder! And uh, it's totally worthless, I've tried a million times even on the flat shelf at the store to get it to install and stay in place, and it doesn't. So disappointing!

Edited to add...lol, the "kids disturb stopper"... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010LIWWG0?psc=1 I'm sure that would be all the cupholder and child quieter you need for 12 hours, yup.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC