Question Need advice - forward facing car seat that reclines-moved to Canadian & International

U

Unregistered

Our baby girl is 11 month now and we use Maxi-Cosi Mico car seat for newborns, she will outgrow it soon so I have some questions:

1) As long as we already have car seat buying group 0-1 makes little sense. So we should look at front facing and use it from about 1 year old or so? (baby is more than 20pounds).

2) As we have son that is big boy now, we came through one very unpleasant fact with his car seat - when he went asleep his head was not in comfortable position at all.

So we are looking for forward facing car seat that reclines for comfortable sleep???

I dig internet and so far found Chicco Next Fit as most recline positions. Not sure if it would recline forward facing?

We need to be able to recline on the go.

This is not working for our needs:
"You cannot switch back and forth between the different recline positions without uninstalling and reinstalling the seat. "

Thanks,

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: Need advice - forward facing car seat that reclines

Hi there. Are you in the U.S. or another country? The "Group 0-1" designation isn't one typically used in the U.S. If you're in another country, I can move this to our International Forum where you'll probably get more appropriate responses.

There are seats that have a good amount of recline forward-facing, but I don't want to recommend any without knowing if they're available where you're located.

What seat is your son in now? How old is he?

Your daughter should remain rear-facing until she's at least 2 years old, so a convertible seat (one that goes rear-facing and forward-facing) will be your best bet.

U

Unregistered

We are in Vancouver BC. I guess i can buy any car seat available in USA or Canada.
My son is 10 years old.

Weve seen triumph lx 65 evenflo and it had reclines. But herr i found that reclining is not possible when car seat is installed. I wonder why. I was able to recline it on the fly...

Looking for other car seats too. Please
Posted via Mobile Device

SnoGurl

Hi there!

Being that your in Canada, you can only legally use car seats certified to Canadian Standards. This eliminates the Chicco Nextfit, as it is not sold in Canada.

It would be safest to have your daughter continue to rearface in an 'infant/child' seat. The bonus of this is that kids tend to find them quite comfy for sleeping in as they are reclined.

If you could give us just a little bit more info, we could make some great suggestions.

1. What car isbthe seat going into?
2. What is your budget?
3. How much does your child weigh, and how tall is she?
Posted via Mobile Device

U

Unregistered

Thank you very much!

I am not sure how would she fit in? Like her legs almost touching seatback. When she will start walking this would be also hygiene issue as she would mark seat with her legs...

1. What car isbthe seat going into?
- Right now Ford Escape, plan to move to Odyssey.

2. What is your budget?
- Probably no more than $500.

3. How much does your child weigh, and how tall is she?"
- She is taller and medium weight. Roughly I'd say 75cm and 9kg. But we consider buying new car seat for the near future.

We like so far this one:
http://www.evenflo.com/Products/Evenflo/Car_Seats/Triumph_LX/

But looking for other/better reclining options )

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Legs touching the seat back is fine. :) That is never a way that the seat will be outgrown. Children frog them up, fold them, stick them up out of the way, etc. Legs are very well protected rear-facing as they are cradled by the seat with the rest of the body; they are at high risk of breaking forward-facing because they fly out. Here is a great little video showing the difference: Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube

If you're concerned about your seat back, after securely installing the seat you can put a large T-shirt over a captain's chair, or a towel with holes cut in for the head restraint to poke through in a bench or sedan seat, or you can use a commercially available seatback protector. (Just install the seat first!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC