Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Need advice - forward facing car seat that reclines-moved to Canadian & International

Our baby girl is 11 month now and we use Maxi-Cosi Mico car seat for newborns, she will outgrow it soon so I have some questions:

1) As long as we already have car seat buying group 0-1 makes little sense. So we should look at front facing and use it from about 1 year old or so? (baby is more than 20pounds).

2) As we have son that is big boy now, we came through one very unpleasant fact with his car seat - when he went asleep his head was not in comfortable position at all.

So we are looking for forward facing car seat that reclines for comfortable sleep???

I dig internet and so far found Chicco Next Fit as most recline positions. Not sure if it would recline forward facing?

We need to be able to recline on the go.

This is not working for our needs:
    "You cannot switch back and forth between the different recline positions without uninstalling and reinstalling the seat. "

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Re: Need advice - forward facing car seat that reclines

Hi there. Are you in the U.S. or another country? The "Group 0-1" designation isn't one typically used in the U.S. If you're in another country, I can move this to our International Forum where you'll probably get more appropriate responses.

There are seats that have a good amount of recline forward-facing, but I don't want to recommend any without knowing if they're available where you're located.

What seat is your son in now? How old is he?

Your daughter should remain rear-facing until she's at least 2 years old, so a convertible seat (one that goes rear-facing and forward-facing) will be your best bet.

Unregistered
    We are in Vancouver BC. I guess i can buy any car seat available in USA or Canada.
    My son is 10 years old.

Weve seen triumph lx 65 evenflo and it had reclines. But herr i found that reclining is not possible when car seat is installed. I wonder why. I was able to recline it on the fly...

Looking for other car seats too. Please
    Posted via Mobile Device

Re: Need advice - forward facing car seat that reclines-moved to Canadian & International

Hi there!

Being that your in Canada, you can only legally use car seats certified to Canadian Standards. This eliminates the Chicco Nextfit, as it is not sold in Canada.

It would be safest to have your daughter continue to rearface in an 'infant/child' seat. The bonus of this is that kids tend to find them quite comfy for sleeping in as they are reclined.

If you could give us just a little bit more info, we could make some great suggestions.

1. What car isbthe seat going into?
    2. What is your budget?
    3. How much does your child weigh, and how tall is she?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Unregistered

Re: Need advice - forward facing car seat that reclines-moved to Canadian & International

Thank you very much!

I am not sure how would she fit in? Like her legs almost touching seatback. When she will start walking this would be also hygiene issue as she would mark seat with her legs...

1. What car isbthe seat going into?
    - Right now Ford Escape, plan to move to Odyssey.

2. What is your budget?
    - Probably no more than $500.

3. How much does your child weigh, and how tall is she?"
    - She is taller and medium weight. Roughly I'd say 75cm and 9kg. But we consider buying new car seat for the near future.

We like so far this one:
    http://www.evenflo.com/Products/Even...ts/Triumph_LX/

But looking for other/better reclining options )

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Legs touching the seat back is fine. That is never a way that the seat will be outgrown. Children frog them up, fold them, stick them up out of the way, etc. Legs are very well protected rear-facing as they are cradled by the seat with the rest of the body; they are at high risk of breaking forward-facing because they fly out. Here is a great little video showing the difference: Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube

If you're concerned about your seat back, after securely installing the seat you can put a large T-shirt over a captain's chair, or a towel with holes cut in for the head restraint to poke through in a bench or sedan seat, or you can use a commercially available seatback protector. (Just install the seat first!)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!