Coats for the Car Seat

cookie123

I was looking at the Snozus at Costco the other day and the kind they have in the 2 - 4T sizes look a little puffy, at least compared to what they had in the bigger kid sizes - little squares, really flat. Has anyone found any great deals on something else in the recent past?

ADS

gigi

There are some Gerry coats at my Costco, hooded and very light down. I considered them for my 4 year old. I think they went small (she is in 6 or 7, so I am not 100% sure on that). My favorite less expensive thing coat is the Columbia Powder Puffer Lite, but they are usually about $40 on sale. Check Lands End, they have great sales and nice coats too.

cookie123

Yeah I want a hood. We those the jackets that had little squares? I'm going to go look at their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persimmon

Cookie, this won't help you (no toddler sizes), but I thought I would post a coat that might be OK in a car seat. Land's End has a new (I think) hooded jacket called the Lightweight Packable Jacket for $69. It says that it will pack into its own pocket so that seems promising. If you wait for one of their 30% off sales, that would make it $48.30.

FEATURES
TEMPERATURE RATING: WARMER 5°/35° F Learn more
Packs away into its own pocket
Water- and wind-resistant nylon shell
Polyester lining
100 grams of Primaloft® insulation in hood, sleeves and body
Full-zip front with comfy chin guard
Machine wash
Imported

bnsnyde

The Land's End packable we bought is totally awesome. It's yellow. I bought 2. Super, super thin like paper. Warm until it gets to be real winter.

I got my 4 YO a Costco Snowzu something. The others have a Moondoggy by North Face. They all seem...OK. I know no coat is better but honestly, it gets freezing here!!!!! I just tried to find a coat that wasn't super bulky.

And all those coats are short. I like the looooong ones for warmth, but thsoe are carseat disasters.

I hate hoods for my toddlers so I got my 2 YO a Columbia something (very thin) with no hood. Looks warm; all it's for is in and out of the car. She won't be playing out at preschool unless it's decently nice out.

cookie123

Why no hood? Because of the car seat or other reasons? I prefer a hood to flip up on windy days or lost hat days. Actually I prefer a hood for myself for the same reason.

jacqui276

I'm going to be snooping on this thread for ideas as well.

The past 2 years my kids both used The North Face Moondoggy jackets. Even with multiple layers underneath, they froze on chilly days. DS wasn't too bad since he is little so wasn't outside much but DD said that it wasn't nearly warm enough for walking to and from the bus stop (about a 10 minute walk) when it got cold. I ended up buying DD a warmer bulkier jacket (Columbia Nordic Jump) this year and she can just keep it undone in the car since she just uses the seatbelt. DS is still in a harnessed seat though so I need to find something for him. It can get down to -30sC without the windchill here so I'm struggling to find thin and warm. I like hoods since it can reduce the chill on the back of the neck from wind getting in.

Persimmon

The Land's End packable we bought is totally awesome. It's yellow. I bought 2. Super, super thin like paper. Warm until it gets to be real winter.

Good to know, thanks. Sounds like the LL Bean puff n stuff, but comes in the all important green for DS4. So here is a partial summary off the top of my head for anyone looking for coats. What others are there? Feel free to change categories if I am off.

Light:
Land's End Lightweight Packable
LL Bean Puff n Stuff

Medium:
North Face Perrito
Land's End Stormer

Heavy:
North Face Moondoggy (Not Canadian heavy)
Costco Snozu fleece lined (18months to 6) $23

Not sure what category:
Columbia Powder Lite Puffer
Costco Gerry Packable down 2015. $30 From the website it doesn't have fleece lining like last year's Snozus.

BananaBoat

We have the Gerry from last year (still fits) and it was excellent in our record-breaking snow and cold. DD1 wore it daily and plays outside in all weather (except heavy rain) for 2 hours per day. She does layer underneath, but only a shirt, fleece and the jacket.

Personally, I have no issue with the Snozus but that's personal choice. The Gerry jackets definitely compress more than the Snozus.

Persimmon

I just realized that I hijacked Cookie123's thread! Sorry. :eek: Will start a general 2015 winter coat thread so that this one can be kept for a good deal on a toddler girl's coat.

cookie123

I just realized that I hijacked Cookie123's thread! Sorry. :eek: Will start a general 2015 winter coat thread so that this one can be kept for a good deal on a toddler girl's coat.

That's okay! I'm looking for a boy though. The LL Bean and the Lands End don't appear to come in toddler sizes.

rin2809

We purchased the LL Bean jacket in the size 4 last winter for our then 2 year old. It was a little long for him, but he is a ridiculously tall kid and we were able to bunch the sleeves a bit with no complaints from him. Hoping to get another full year out of it.

We live in Minnesota with some brutal winters and the coat kept him plenty warm, never any complaints from him. And it is fantastic in the car seat! No question whatsoever that his harness was tight enough.

cookie123

Hi! :happy-wavehello: I just noticed you're from Burnsville. I live in Savage.
What are your DS's stats? Maybe I could go with size 4.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hi! :happy-wavehello: I just noticed you're from Burnsville. I live in Savage. What are your DS's stats? Maybe I could go with size 4.

I am in Burnsville right now at my in-laws' house! I live in St Paul!

The thing that confuses me the most with car seat coats is that no matter how thin they are, the zipper always seems to cause a ton of bunching -- especially if you buy a size slightly too big with the hope of it lasting longer or being able to put a layer underneath it. Are there any that are less prone to bunching?

My daughter is about 26.5 lbs, 34ish inches tall. I am looking at the snozu coats, but I don't know if I should get 3T (what most of the clothes she is growing into are) or 2T. Any guidance?

Mary_Ann

I'm going to be snooping on this thread for ideas as well.

The past 2 years my kids both used The North Face Moondoggy jackets. Even with multiple layers underneath, they froze on chilly days. DS wasn't too bad since he is little so wasn't outside much but DD said that it wasn't nearly warm enough for walking to and from the bus stop (about a 10 minute walk) when it got cold. I ended up buying DD a warmer bulkier jacket (Columbia Nordic Jump) this year and she can just keep it undone in the car since she just uses the seatbelt. DS is still in a harnessed seat though so I need to find something for him. It can get down to -30sC without the windchill here so I'm struggling to find thin and warm. I like hoods since it can reduce the chill on the back of the neck from wind getting in.

I live in Québec and my kids need warm coats. I searched a lot and found "soft shell" ski/snowboard style jacket and snow pants (Skateboard brand such as Quicksilver, Billabong/Roxy and Volcom make them). They are not as thin as I'd like, but we get a decent fit in the car seats. I layered them with a zippered hoodie and the girls can play outside at daycare and school without being cold. It's the perfect compromise for us.

Areinbrecht

I am in Saskatchewan where it gets freezing in the winter. Regularly -30 C and below. My daughter wore the North Face Perrito all winter to school and they go out until -29 C not one complaint about being cold. My other daughter has a Moondoggy for this year and it seems to be warmer.

biddyk8

We use the gap primaloft in the car and then have a heavier Columbia one for actual out door play. The gap comes in toddler sizes

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC