Dismayed with Canuck options - any suggestions?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I need a new convertible seat for TechnoBaby for our car. She's currently in a Peg convertible installed behind the driver's seat RF. DH can't drive with it there. TechnoTeen and I just fit and the seat is at least one click closer than what it should be for us. So we are the only two who drive the vehicle. But now that needs to change due to new school, job, schedules, etc.

I can't install it passenger side as then TechnoKid has to get out in traffic for school. No good. And the passenger doesn't have much room either so that means TechnoTeen, her boyfriend and the kids couldn't do things as he wouldn't fit passenger side without knees in the dash.

So I either need a convertible that takes up less room; enough so that DH can drive. Or something that fits centre with a booster outboard. I tried the Peg in the centre and it just doesn't allow the front seats to be where they need to be. I'd also have to move TechnoKid to a backless (which I may be okay with) but she wouldn't be able to buckle anyway. The backless also doesn't sit centred on the seat, it needs to shift a tiny bit towards the door and there are bolsters on the outer edges so I don't really like the booster not sitting where it naturally should.

We have so few decent convertible options that I am getting annoyed. Everything either has a weirdly short RF height limit, has to be at 45 degrees or is just dang wide. Maybe a Britax ClickTight would work outboard? Not sure if it saves me enough room over the Peg? Then all I could think of was a Diono in the centre but they seem to get wide at the top compared to the older Radians and they are so tall and with the width at the top, it might not work in the centre anyway?

Annoyed. Hopefully I'm missing something that would work?

ADS

Brianna

Evenflo Triumph? I don't know how it would play with a booster, but when I had it RF in the middle of my car I could have both front seats all the way back due to the shape of the shell.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Evenflo Triumph? I don't know how it would play with a booster, but when I had it RF in the middle of my car I could have both front seats all the way back due to the shape of the shell.

As far as I know it has to be installed at a 45 degree angle? Your front seats still worked and went back with it at that angle? Might be worth looking at then.

Maybe one of the new gracos? Dimensions or contender?
Posted via Mobile Device

With the Dimensions I'd likely just be in this same position again soon as she's 32.5 pounds in capri leggings and a short sleeved t-shirt.

I didn't know we had the Contender. I will go look up that one.

SnoGurl

As far as I know it has to be installed at a 45 degree angle? Your front seats still worked and went back with it at that angle? Might be worth looking at then.

With the Dimensions I'd likely just be in this same position again soon as she's 32.5 pounds in capri leggings and a short sleeved t-shirt.

I didn't know we had the Contender. I will go look up that one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Contender is also 35, I didn't realize she was so close.

Brianna

Of course I can't find the picture with the seats all the way back- this is with them all the way forward. Perhaps it helps to imagine them all the way back? FWIW, my 6'4" boyfriend is comfortable with the driver seat all the way back, this is a 2008 Malibu I'm not sure on the exact angle, but the Triumph does have to be installed with the line level to the ground.

SnoGurl

Well a Malibu is quite a bit bigger than my car but I still think it would be worth it for me to at least check out.

Pretty sure right around 39".

Triumphs have a 37" height limit. At 39" you are limited to click tights, foonf/fllo, dionos... And the peg you already have. Or maybe a britax g4.1? They now go to 1" from the top of the headrest (or some of them do... I'd have to look up the thread for the exact info). Plus the contender/dimensions, but the weight limit is the limiter there.
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Clicktight is SUPER compact when upright. I actually have it at an in between setting because you lose leg room that way but it's still very compact.

The g4.1 do measure from the headrest. That makes them as tall as the Clicktight I think?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Here I thought Britax was only making ClickTight now. So the non-clicktight ones on the site are the G4.1?

I've got a Roundabout 55 and that gives more room behind the seat, not sure if it gives enough, but I can't use it anyway as it's in my parents vehicle and they can't have a seat that takes up anymore room than that. Do the G4.1 have more leg room than that, or is the same? We have a really tough time buckling her into the Roundabout. She's got long legs and when she frogs them, it pushes the harness out and you can't get it tight enough. And when she put them up the back, her legs stick up so high that her thighs are lifted and also make it so you can't tighten it enough.

I should probably go try both a G4.1 and a ClickTight and see. I think the store that has them also has the Foonf and the Fllo. Which I looked at online and the Fllo seems to be not as giantly tall, but it said it was 32.5" deep in RF mode and I measured the Peg right now and it's taking up 32" of space in my car. So doesn't sound like the Fllo would benefit me, but then again, it could sit more upright in my car or just fit differently so maybe I should try it.

gigi

I would try a CT with the ARB. My 43"+ 4 year old could still RF in it, but she is FF with many inches of harness above her and plenty of room in the seat. It also fits very small spaces well.

In general I love the G4.1 more than the CT but my daughter is minutes from outgrowing the harness FF and still needs to be harnessed for another year. The CT is a really nice seat, I just love how small and simple the G4s are... The click tight mechanism is growing on me though.

Last edited:

featherhead

I just got a new G4 Boulevard (here in Canada). It takes up about an inch less space than my Peg. But definitely less internal space for the kid. It is narrower inside and has less leg room. Exterior width is very similar to the Peg. It is a super nice seat, it's just harder to get my kid in.

biddyk8

If you are going to cravings they had both britaxs and the foonf and fllo all on display when we were in there last week.

Its a shame the gracos hadn't came up with a 40lb limit they would really have filled a niche.

We had to give in and turn dd when she outgrew the peg as she would have had so little growing room in a diono it wasnt worth the cost. Now I'm just praying she doesn't outgrow her pioneer before booster time. Starting to keep an eye on upcoming convertibles for the next one though.

biddyk8

oh I don't know what the older rfing angle requirements are but what about the new maxi cosi? I know its under 22lb angle is awful but I'm not sure what the over 22lb one is.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
You COULD think about considering mulling over turning her. [emoji6]

In the truck *maybe*. This is the little car though and I don't know...it's...you know...a little car.

oh I don't know what the older rfing angle requirements are but what about the new maxi cosi? I know its under 22lb angle is awful but I'm not sure what the over 22lb one is.

Which new Maxi Cosi? I apparently have not been paying attention!

biddyk8

The jool its called, Canadian pria. Snugglebugz and west coast kids have it. Its on babies r us but wasn't in store when I was there last Friday

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC