Upset...

ymherrera

So DH and I met with some old friends yesterday and one of the girls has a 9 month old baby who is a whopping 30lbs! My DS is almost 10 months and is ~ 22 lbs or so. She had him FF in a SS2, I told her he should be RFing still at least to 1 year but she said she just got him that seat since he outgrew his SS1 a month or so ago. I couldn't reason with her to get a scenera and put him RFing for a few more lbs, she said it was pointless since he would probably outgrow it in a few weeks. I'm stuck...

ADS

jdchic3

How long ago did she get it? She could return it and get the ETA. Is he walking yet? Once he starts he should slim down and his weight gain should slow down.

ymherrera

How long ago did she get it? She could return it and get the ETA. Is he walking yet? Once he starts he should slim down and his weight gain should slow down.

She said she put him in it about a month ago. He isn't really walking. He stands for a bit then falls. My DS isn't walking yet either just cruising. Her son never crawled...maybe due to the weight??

mommy2env

At that rate, how long will he last in the SS2? What is she going to do then, put him in a booster?

I think that telling her that he will outgrow the seat soon, and that she will be forced to buy a new one might change her mind about the SS2. Im sure she wouldnt want to spend money again anytime soon. So why not make a wise purchase. Now, I know that he will slim down when he is walking and all but you could just use that to scare her. :p

Your friend needs to wise up & get a Scenera.

My DS was a whopping 31lbs & some ounces at 9 months. I was so stressed out about the fact that I might be faced w/ turning him FF before he was 1. Well, true to what everyone w/ older children told me, once he started crawling (at around 9.5 months) the weight stabilized & then when he started walking he dropped a whopping 5lbs. I am proud to say that my DS made it 19 months (just barely) RF in his Scenera & FPSVD.

It breaks my heart that your friend doesn't care enough for her DS's safety. Shame on her!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I DO understand the mentality your friend has.
to be frankly honest - it was the SAME mentality I had, when I had the same problem at that age. When you have a child THAT big, as some pp's have pointed out, you get in this mentality of "it doesn't matter, he'll just keep growing this fast and it would be a "wasted" expense, since it will only buy us a couple more weeks at most..."
I know it sounds silly now, but back then - it made COMPLETE sense to me. Or course, I did not know about the scenera, the only seats I knew that RF past 30 pounds were the Britax ones, which go to 33 pounds, and when your 9 month old is 31 pounds, chucking out $200 that you absolutely do not have for a seat that is going to gain you TWO POUNDS....can seem ridiculous. Even getting 4 more pounds out of a scenera for much less money can seem pointless.....

Anyway, of COURSE I think she should get a scenera, but all I"m saying is - if you haven't bveen there, it can be really hard to understand where her thoughts are coming from......when your 9 month old is in **2T** clothes, and you have a bunch of 12-24month clothes you never even worse because your child grew so quickly they went right from 6 -12months to 2T clothes due to their extreme girth........it is REALLY hard to believe that your child won't just keep growing.
The best thing I can say is...in a couple weeks, see if he has gained any more weight..if he is starting to plateau, which *IS* likely, then maybe she will be more open to discussion. Keep trying. I agree, maybe press the point that getting a better seat now will decrease costs later - a safeseat 2 isn't cheap..she could get something like a Radian for similar money......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC