Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

New Golf Wagon and 3 Car Seats?

So we're thinking of buying a Golf Wagon as an around town vehicle but do we have any chance of getting three car seats in there? I know it's slightly bigger than the Jetta and I'd only have 1 kid in there 90% of the time but on those occasions when I'd need to have all three, would it potentially work? Anyone have any experience?

Kids are 5, 5 and almost 4. 5 y.o. #1 is just 40lbs and could use a Bubble Bum (again occasional ride for him), 5 y.o. #2 is small and only weighs 35lbs but we do have a Ride Safe Vest for her. I would prefer her in a harness though. Almost 4 y.o. is also 35lbs and average height. He's currently RF in an MA70 but we'll need new seats for this car anyway.

We own a Radian, MA70, SureRide and Pioneer. If we could get the SureRide and Radian in there with room for a Bubble Bum, I'd be happy.

Thanks for any input!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: New Golf Wagon and 3 Car Seats?

I do not own the car so this is purely based upon handling/installing various car seats over the years.

I would think purchasing another radian would make it doable to get 3 across. A rf radian next to a ff radian is really narrow width wise, I would think a bubble bum would for next to the ff radian. The only caveat to this would be the center seat configuration. If the seat has a pronounced hump to it or a odd belt configuration it might not work to install a radian in the center. So definitely try out before buying but I used to fit a turbobooster and two radians in my parents Camry with zero issues and it's similar in size to the vw golf.

Good luck!
    Maggie - Rollin' hard in my Swagger Wagon with my 3 lil' men all properly restrained

Thank you! I think the backseat of the Golfwagon might be a bit smaller than the Camry and there is a hump. So I guess I'll just have to take a bunch of seats to the dealer and annoy them. But your post gives me hope. Thank you!

Carseat Crazy

Well, if you still want the car after dieselgate...

I have a 2013 Jetta Sportswagen TDI and I have done 3 across with a Frontier90, a bubblebum and a low back AMP with no problem. So I would assume two radians and a bubblebum would fit. I agree trying it would be best though.

Thanks! Funny how the diesel scandal broke just after my post! Since we can't actually buy a Golf TDI wagon now, we're looking at a Ford Fusion hybrid. But I appreciate you letting me know about your 3 across. Depending on the fix VW comes up with we might still consider the Golf wagon. So thank you! I'm guessing the Fusion would be similar for 3 across.